Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal Highs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

laura29 wrote: »
    has anyone seen the effects this legal crazy sh*t has on ppl !! i was only told a story abt it today and then shown vids on youtube :eek: im shocked to the core that this stuff is legal , has anyone had an experience wit this stuff salvia ??

It's non-addictive and so far no tests have shown long term damage other than the possibility of depression but there is quite a few studies out there to disprove it.

It provides a non-violent and short high that lasts no longer than 10 minutes from past experience (myself and friends) where no violent or self-harming trips have occured.

Overall I say keep this stuff legal and let those who like it use it, I don't see a reason to ban it, not 1 person in recorded times has died from use of it and there's no salvia horror stories of people jumping off bridges or assaulting people is there? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheCelticWizard

It's a unique experience, not overly pleasurable as such, leaves you with horrible pins and needles when the rush is over. A lot of people forget who they are completely for a minute or two. Definitely not something to make a habit of, but worth experiencing once and only with heed of Mardybumbum's solid advice, a friend in the room who is not smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭laura29

"quote "been covered a million times but each to their own and all that.

apologies , i wasnt aware i was discussed , im happily readin thru this thread now :D world of usefull info on this site , happy days hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

The reason you can buy most of the stuff out of the headshops is because the chemicals are being used for experimental purposes and Smoke's main ingrediant is salvia.
    Which is why its messes you up so easily although my brother and his friend went a bit crazy on smoke and they don't remember alot of when they smoked it.
    Salvia is good once and then if you do it again you get bored and want to come out of it I have seen people get really freaked out and violent. (For taking salvia 1 or 2 people and no camera for a good buzz but even then you can have a really bad trip).
    Also nearly all of the legal highs that are sold are not for human consumption which gives you an idea of if it is good or not for you.

Snow which happens to be one of the most bought things out of the headshops is not the worst to be bought
    Charge happens to have the worst come down and will make you look like youve been pilling for hours

Also if someone is worried that something like this is legal just look at alcohol it does worse then alot of the stuff sold from the headshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭laura29

if one was to get fairly stressed out regularly what could they get in these head shops /herbal shops ? i wouldnt be into the giggling effects that the smoking stuff gives you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Evolute wrote: »
    The reason you can buy most of the stuff out of the headshops is because the chemicals are being used for experimental purposes and Smoke's main ingrediant is salvia.
    Which is why its messes you up so easily although my brother and his friend went a bit crazy on smoke and they don't remember alot of when they smoked it.
    Salvia is good once and then if you do it again you get bored and want to come out of it I have seen people get really freaked out and violent. (For taking salvia 1 or 2 people and no camera for a good buzz but even then you can have a really bad trip).
    Also nearly all of the legal highs that are sold are not for human consumption which gives you an idea of if it is good or not for you.

Snow which happens to be one of the most bought things out of the headshops is not the worst to be bought
    Charge happens to have the worst come down and will make you look like youve been pilling for hours

Also if someone is worried that something like this is legal just look at alcohol it does worse then alot of the stuff sold from the headshops.

Seriously man if you're going to talk negative about stuff it's a good idea to know what you're talking about, the reason they say "not for human consumption" is so they don't have to undergo a toxocology and ingredient test. An example being a legal high was discovered to contain a noticeable amount of ketamine in the UK done by an independent study, that's why the all out ban is in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I can see a major crackdown on legal highs happening very soon - same with illegal downloads. In a matter of years, both will cease to exist. So really, it's quite a small problem in the grand scheme of things.

I imagine when I'm 40 years older, I'll tell my kids stories about uTorrent and head shops, and they'll think society when I grew up was crazier than the '60s. Which they'll know nothing about.

So, basically, I'm happy to do Blow (Mephadrone), and Salvia while it's legal. For me, the rest isn't worth the money, as good real weed beats any of the substitutes hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

I can see a major crackdown on legal highs happening very soon - same with illegal downloads. In a matter of years, both will cease to exist. So really, it's quite a small problem in the grand scheme of things.

Are you really contrasting legal highs[which are very much in of the minority of the drugs trade] and illigeal downloads[which has basically revolutionialised the music/film/game etc industries]?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheCelticWizard

if one was to get fairly stressed out regularly what could they get in these head shops /herbal shops ? i wouldnt be into the giggling effects that the smoking stuff gives you

They sell pills that act like valium and chill you out while not sending you into a complete stupor. Cant remember the name of them though sorry. Staff are generally very eager the point you in the right direction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭stainluss

I saw in a documentary that vits more dangerous than illegal drugs because it hasnt been around long and hasnt been tested...according to scientists:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just curious, are mushrooms banned by genus or as an 'active' (having an effect on the user) group?

I ask this because I've seen a place in Dublin selling dried strips of Amanita Muscaria, or Pantherina (it looked bright orange, rather than red).

Neither of the above are for the timid! It seems odd to ban something relatively harmless and yet have stuff that can lead to a very nasty experience, openly on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

RMD wrote: »
    Seriously man if you're going to talk negative about stuff it's a good idea to know what you're talking about, the reason they say "not for human consumption" is so they don't have to undergo a toxocology and ingredient test. An example being a legal high was discovered to contain a noticeable amount of ketamine in the UK done by an independent study, that's why the all out ban is in place.

So they dont have to undergo a toxocology and ingredient test so thats going to be automatically good for you?
    Granted I could have looked into it a bit more before I posted
    But from walking past the head shop on Bray main street there are people outside strung out for their next fix of charge and some of the other things that people have gotten mentally addicted to.
    The problem with the term legal high is people think it is actually good for them when most of them are'nt

Are you really contrasting legal highs[which are very much in of the minority of the drugs trade] and illigeal downloads[which has basically revolutionialised the music/film/game etc industries]?

Not contrasting, just mentioning. It's fair to say that the whole illegal download thing will be stamped out soon enough. As will legal highs. Thus they have a common link. Thus I am able to mention them via this common link in the same sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I imagine when I'm 40 years older, I'll tell my kids stories about uTorrent and head shops, and they'll think society when I grew up was crazier than the '60s. Which they'll know nothing about.

So, basically, I'm happy to do Blow (Mephadrone), and Salvia while it's legal. For me, the rest isn't worth the money, as good real weed beats any of the substitutes hands down.

i thought they were two separate things? ive done blow a few times and i really like it. no comedown despite what someone said. bought some salvia(strength 20) few days ago and had a great time yesterday. tried the pills (ministries i think) and it was a happy talky buzz with no comedown(although no sleep on the night).

all in all i like the headshops and the stuff they offer, and in my opinion its a lot better than some of the illegal stuff out there. for example on NYE i was on the headshop pills + blow and my mate was on illegal blue cupids. i didnt have a comedown, but he was dying. he didnt sleep till sunday and he was in bits! seemed like a horrible comedown

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    i thought they were two separate things?

AFAIK mephedrone is the main ingredient in Blow. Obviously, they won't have any ingredients listed on the back, but it has the exact same effects as Blow, and on the site it has a list of herbal ingredients, but half of them don't even exist. So I think meph is a safe bet as to what it is.

Reason your mate was dying is because Blue Cupids are all BZP, no MDMA in them. With pure MDMA, you get no comedown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

i thought they were two separate things?

They are; as far as I know none of the popular legal highs sold in Irish headshops contain mephedrone.
    all in all i like the headshops and the stuff they offer, and in my opinion its a lot better than some of the illegal stuff out there. for example on NYE i was on the headshop pills + blow and my mate was on illegal blue cupids. i didnt have a comedown, but he was dying. he didnt sleep till sunday and he was in bits! seemed like a horrible comedown
    He was dying because Blue Cupids, like all pills in Ireland at the moment, are piperazines, most likely mCPP.

As an aside, a friend of a friend was recently admitted to hospital suffering from a urinary tract infection. Apparently, his kidneys had been damaged by a substance 'far more corrosive than alcohol' and were working at 60% of normal functionality. The only drugs he'd done in the past year were legal highs, mainly Snow, and while this may be an isolated case it should still serve as a warning to anyone taking these unlabeled, untested products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

AFAIK mephedrone is the main ingredient in Blow. Obviously, they won't have any ingredients listed on the back, but it has the exact same effects as Blow, and on the site it has a list of herbal ingredients, but half of them don't even exist. So I think meph is a safe bet as to what it is.

Reason your mate was dying is because Blue Cupids are all BZP, no MDMA in them. With pure MDMA, you get no comedown.

Blow is mostly caffeine, fairly sure there is only trace (if any) mephedrone in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I think the most crucial point is that whether something is legal or not has absolutely no connection with whether it is safer or not.

The word "legal" has absolutely nothing to do with safety whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mloc wrote: »
    Blow is mostly caffeine, fairly sure there is only trace (if any) mephedrone in it.
    Sounds about right. Any stuff I've had out of them places have all had the same effect which is somewhere between coffee and ephedrine.

• Advertisement

mloc wrote: »

Have to argue there. Quite sure it is meph. A powdered caffeine mix wouldn't have the junkies injecting it, it has the same effects as meph, and caffeine doesn't. The other ones, Snow etc, I imagine are caffeine mixes, but not Blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Have to argue there. Quite sure it is meph. A powdered caffeine mix wouldn't have the junkies injecting it, it has the same effects as meph, and caffeine doesn't. The other ones, Snow etc, I imagine are caffeine mixes, but not Blow.

Which shops in town actually stock blow?

Which shops in town actually stock blow?

Most of them AFAIK, Nirvana and the Happy Hippy anyway, they all have websites, just look them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Lads from your experience what would the best coke substute be?
    Dont want something to strong just a nice MDMA type buzz that wont last for hours?
    And would this be in powder or pill form or both. I presume pill form would be the recomended option? I imgine some of that powder would be hard to take.

Thanks

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Dont want something to strong just a nice MDMA type buzz that wont last for hours?
    And would this be in powder or pill form or both. I presume pill form would be the recomended option? I imgine some of that powder would be hard to take.

Thanks

Blow is the most popular one...although this thread is verging onto giving advice on taking drugs, and even though it's legal, I imagine the mods won't like it...so back to the morality of legal drugs.

Raghr drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

AntoSRFC wrote: »

Pepsi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Whizzy One

ScumLord wrote: »
    Sounds about right. Any stuff I've had out of them places have all had the same effect which is somewhere between coffee and ephedrine.

Heard there is one opening in Santry soon. A mates mate told me about it. Its local so was thinking of giving it a whizz, cheaper than going for a pint (student). You guys seem to know a bit about them, any recommendations? more a smokey kind of gal?

Chiz yessir.

has anyone seen the effects this legal crazy sh*t has on ppl !! i was only told a story abt it today and then shown vids on youtube :eek: im shocked to the core that this stuff is legal , has anyone had an experience wit this stuff salvia ??

yeah ive tried salvia twice now, and ive thoroughly enjoyed it both times. intense, short trip lasts about 5-10 mins. did it a few days ago and i saw the N11 motorway running across my mates bed and into a huge bacon and egg sandwhich! i felt it was really important to warn them but i ended up having an out of body experiernce when i tried to move. some serious pins and needles afterwards too.

i can tell why some people would be wary of it but if you know what is going to happen etc its acrually quite pleasant. each to their own and i wouldnt be doing it often or making a habit out of it, but occasionally is really enjoyable and something different imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

yeah ive tried salvia twice now, and ive thoroughly enjoyed it both times. intense, short trip lasts about 5-10 mins. did it a few days ago and i saw the N11 motorway running across my mates bed and into a huge bacon and egg sandwhich! i felt it was really important to warn them but i ended up having an out of body experiernce when i tried to move. some serious pins and needles afterwards too.

i can tell why some people would be wary of it but if you know what is going to happen etc its acrually quite pleasant. each to their own and i wouldnt be doing it often or making a habit out of it, but occasionally is really enjoyable and something different imo

Anytime I have taken Salvia I get none of these effects all i gets is a slightly disorientated feeling for five minutes like my head is spinning around in a washing machine then nothing :(

The drugs dont work!

Anytime I have taken Salvia I get none of these effects all i gets is a slightly disorientated feeling for five minutes like my head is spinning around in a washing machine then nothing :(

The drugs dont work!

what strength did you have? i did strength x20 and x21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Whizzy One wrote: »
    Heard there is one opening in Santry soon. A mates mate told me about it. Its local so was thinking of giving it a whizz, cheaper than going for a pint (student). You guys seem to know a bit about them, any recommendations? more a smokey kind of gal?

Chiz yessir.
    good old fashioned weed, it simply can't be beat. I haven't bought any of the smoke in the headshops for years, I've just had the odd drag since and it's all awful.
    yeah ive tried salvia twice now, and ive thoroughly enjoyed it both times. intense, short trip lasts about 5-10 mins.
    I couldn't decide weather my first trip was pleasant, I could barely remember what happened. I took an awful load of it expecting it to be as **** as the last time I tried it. I just went away to a different planet, with canals and people. The 2nd time I did it those people where waiting for me to come back and trying to convince me to stay on that side it all turned very sinister so I'm never doing it again. Or I'll at least be sober the next time I try it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Pat Sheen

Amalgam wrote: »
    Just curious, are mushrooms banned by genus or as an 'active' (having an effect on the user) group?

Neither really. Fungi are banned by active ingredient (psilocybin + psilocin, so amanita aren't controlled), unless they're non-cultivated and in a "natural state", in which case they're legal. So if they're growing in the back garden they're legal but if you're growing them in tupperware under the bed or if you've got a pocketful picked from the back garden they're illegal. Spores don't contain actives so they aren't controlled either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The usual people with no experience of mind altering substances ringing in and complaining, I remember about 5 years ago when that place in Capel St. was selling mushrooms, I bought them on a Wednesday, on a Thursday some FG councillor was on Pat Kenny show with the usual ****e about people who think they can fly jumping off buildings, by the following Friday new legislation was passed by Harney and they were made illegal, I can see the same thing happening with head shops such is the nature of populist politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 do.ob

Whizzy One wrote: »

Chiz yessir.

Interesting advertising technique :pac:.

I can see the same thing happening with head shops such is the nature of populist politics.

In the past weeks people involved with headshops in the north have been run out of town at gunpoint, and at least one was shot in the knees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'd imagine blow will be off the shelves in a matter of weeks. Joe Duffy makes the rules in this country when it comes to things like this, not the government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Pat Sheen wrote: »
    In the past weeks people involved with headshops in the north have been run out of town at gunpoint, and at least one was shot in the knees.

well, does that surprise you? this is the North we're talking about, where they still attack Asian take-aways

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    well, does that surprise you? this is the North we're talking about, where they still attack Asian take-aways

No not really but the line between populist politics and lynch mob is a thin one no matter where we're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

electrogrimey,

Salvia is not in Smoke.
    Mephedrone is not in Blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

party pill are **** that bzp stuff gives you a horrible come down the coke sub tears the noise off you but it does work with a few beers maybe its a bit of an aphrodisiac
    salvia is seriously crazy stuff some some of that and you will trip like crazy for about 2 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I'd imagine blow will be off the shelves in a matter of weeks. Joe Duffy makes the rules in this country when it comes to things like this, not the government.

lol so true joe is going to save the the world:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I dont see why anyone could have beef with headshops. Its as if these headshops are lasooing members of the public into their stores. If someone wants to take some cattle de-wormer then let them. What is it to you?

I dont see why anyone could have beef with headshops. Its as if these headshops are lasooing members of the public into their stores. If someone wants to take some cattle de-wormer then let them. What is it to you?

Bzp is banned, it's off the market.

One of the main allegations on the joe duffy show involved a minor, a 15 or 16 year old boy. The girl in england who died from mephedrone/ketamine was 14. The headshops' problem is that they allow pretty much anyone of any age to access this stuff, so they don't really even stick to the basic rules that apply to legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco.

One of the main allegations on the joe duffy show involved a minor, a 15 or 16 year old boy. The girl in england who died from mephedrone/ketamine was 14. The headshops' problem is that they allow pretty much anyone of any age to access this stuff, so they don't really even stick to the basic rules that apply to legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco.

the girl in England who died, died of a completely unrelated infection. the post mortem showed it had nothing to do with anything she had consumed, much to the dismay of the dailt mail readers

electrogrimey,

Salvia is not in Smoke.
    Mephedrone is not in Blow.

I never said Salvia was in Smoke. :confused: It's a completely different feeling...but how do you know there's no Meph in Blow?

the girl in England who died, died of a completely unrelated infection. the post mortem showed it had nothing to do with anything she had consumed, much to the dismay of the dailt mail readers

How many people will have heard that? Very few, relative to the number who think that mephedrone killed her. It doesn't alter the fact that she was 14 and could access a powerful drug as can any 14 year old with net access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

1. :mad:keep away from this rubbish it destroys brain cells and eventually(maybe not in the immediate future) it can lead to psychological problems:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

1. :mad:keep away from this rubbish it destroys brain cells and eventually(maybe not in the immediate future) it can lead to psychological problems:confused:
    Yes, the most commonly used legal high could have those effects, but people still continue to drink regardless -have you ever drank alcohol yourself? and if so why?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Did they break the law though?

Anyway, all this uproar about it, "won't someone please think of the children" etc etc, well all this stuff has been happening for years in some shape or form. Kids buying an aerosol can in a shop, and making sure they get a plastic bag. It's nothing new. I would be more worried about why people choose to do it, and trying to change that, than lambasting a shop owner who didn't break any laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 drross

Tried new capsule style pills , EZE and EZP. Got them from Tallagh area , very heavy with paranoi, i nearly did myself a proper mischief, got the itches real bad when i eventually didstart to relax.(undrstatement)
    Now im very experienced with all this stuff but with these ones folks limit your intake to two at the most . Im off everthing for at least 6 months after this one and no nothing to do with any impending court cases.

Ross

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

the coke sub tears the noise off you but it does work with a few beers maybe its a bit of an aphrodisiac

It really does fairly mess up your nose, but the buzz you get off some of the better ones is ridiculously good.

30 euro for a gram of it and its probably better then most cocaine around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement