Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howard Marks tickets wanted for Letterkenny gig...

Options
  • 16-07-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

For his standup show at the Grianan tomorrow night (Friday).

Anybody out there with tickets who can't use them anymore?
    Around 2-3 would be fantastic.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,005 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Never heard of him. What does he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

muffler wrote: »
    Never heard of him. What does he do?

Simply an outstanding drug smuggler who has reformed since being caught. I read his biography and it was a riveting read.

WWW.HOWARDMARKS.CO.UK

During the mid 1980s, Howard Marks had forty-three aliases, eighty-nine phone lines, and twenty five companies trading throughout the world.
    Bars, recording studios, offshore banks: all were money-laundering vehicles serving the core activity: dope dealing.
    Marks began to deal during a postgraduate philosophy course at Oxford and was soon moving large quantities of hashish into Europe and America in the equipment of touring rock bands. The academic life began to lose its allure.
    At the height of his career, he was smuggling consignments of up to thirty tons from Pakistan and Thailand to America and Canada and had contact with organisations as diverse as the CIA, MI6, the IRA, and the Mafia.
    After many years and a world-wide operation by the Drug Enforcement Agency, he was busted and sentenced to twenty five years in prison at the United States Federal Penitentiary, Terre Haute, Indiana, the site of America's only Federal Death Row.
    He was released on parole in April 1995 after serving seven years of his sentence.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Going to this tomorrow night, though that's not much help to the OP. Sorry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

Simply an outstanding drug smuggler ...

since when was it to be admired?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Just cos you don't like it, doesn't mean you can't admire it....same goes for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

The fact he ran such an operation is obviously pretty outstanding, and something of note and the comment is certainly justified. I am sure he had noterity amongst the law enforcement agencies. Its a justified comment which doesn't praise him.

His reform and recent activities is also outstanding especially as most notable Drugs dealers in Ireland end up in a body bag or if we are lucky, jail. I'd say his book is worth reading, and not to see how good he was at getting away at it nor the failure of the system to catch him. More so as it was some feat to pull off and good to see how he changed. I doubt too if he's doing stand up that he suddenly found god!

I doubt if the poster was giving him praise for being a drug dealer but more so that his past is quite out of the norm. People stand out for many reasons.

Alcapone was a standout figure in history, so much so films were made about him, I doubt that the film makers could be seen as admiring him or condoning his actions.

The poster I thought gave a background into him where someone asked, he is notable and the Arts Festival obviously thought he was worth bringing too

The backgound info was interesting and I think jumping on the posters use of the word outstanding was a bit poor.

Advertisement