Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abdominal Cramps

• 16-07-2009 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Had really bad abdominal pains last night, felt a bit like period pains and I was so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep. I'm 16 weeks and feel grand today, getting the feeling like a stitch but nothing like last night.

I'm presuming that its just growing pains. Has anyone else experience this at 4 months?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm at 12 weeks now and I still get cramps. I think leg and abdominal muscular cramps are common in the second trimester though from what I've read.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Yeah that can be your muscles and ligaments stretching... all pretty normal. If you have it severe on one side though get it checked out to be on the safe side, or just head to your GP anyway for peace of mind, no point worrying away as that can be more stressful than the aches and pains themselves!! Hope you're feeling better now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

hey janbaby -- sorry for hijacking your thread! I just had the same question.

I'm having abdominal cramps too! I'm starting to get scared, cause I've read up on them online, and i'm wondering if mine are bad...they seem to be different. I'm almost 7 weeks now. (early days!) Along with the cramps, have a lot of backache, it comes aroundthe side and i get cramps in my chest area, right underneath my boobs, and in my stomach. Generally all over. They are quite a bit more painful.uncomftorable then what I've read they should be. I also have trouble sleeping, or give the other half heart attaks groaning in pain.

I've never once spotted, so i figure im safe enough...just need an opinon!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Sounds very much like the cramps I was having at 7 weeks, some of the pregnancy hormones soften the muscles in your back and abdomen making them sore and crampy. Watch out for coughing and sneezing too it can really hurt. If you're not bleeding I wouldn't worry unless it's all to one side and more than 3 times an hour. Give your GP a ring also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you are worried your dr should be your first port of call.
    But have a think about it ladies as your pregnancy advances and the baby grows your womb is going to stretch a considerable amount going for being below your belly button to being up under your lungs. While this is a gradual process there has to be a lot of shifting about in your abdominal cavity and a lot of pressure on your internal organs and your muscles while be put under a type of stress and strain they haven't know before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

The cramps I was having have kinda passed but I think the ones I was having are growing pains cos my tummy looks huge this week :eek: In the early days be more cautious. I had a miscarraige at 7 weeks and at that time I had very light spotting to start with pains that were a bit worse than period pains. If your anyway worried please go to your GP, its worth it for the peace of mind.

Advertisement