Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor Fan Hosing Not going Outside?

Options
  • 16-07-2009 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi All,
    We moved into a new house recently and the extractor fan in our kitchen isn't the best. Its situated in an island in the centre of our kitchen and goes up into the ceiling right in the middle. Now I wanted to see if maybe the vent was stuck outside or something and that was why it wasn't working great.

I searched everywhere outside to find that there is no vent for it at all! On further investigation I got into the attic space at the side of our dormer bungalow and managed to locate the extractor vent flexible pipe only to find that it is lying there going nowhere! Is this normal? Should it not be terminated to an outside wall with a vent attached? Or is there enough ventilation for it just sitting there in the sloped dormer attic space?

Any info gratefully recieved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

if you get a charcoal filter you will not need to vent to outside world....most new houses (espec mid terraces) are like this.

but if you have a flue going somewhere then it *should* go outside and not your attic....the smell of food could attract pests

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That is a very poor installation and can lead to grease building up in your attic with the attendent problems.
    You can either:
    Bring the duct to the soffit and duct it down or use a roof vent to exhaust it from the roof.
    I did the latter and made a Y and used 2 vents for better flow.
    What kind of roof do you have, tile, slate?
    This is how I did mine.
    8.8thruvent_Swatch_02.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

As stated you can either use a charcole filter or vent outside. My tendency would be to vent outside as over time we get lazy and forget to change the charcole

Advertisement