Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed: Garmin Nuvi 775T vs Tomtom 930T

• 16-07-2009 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but a user of Garmin units for many years. I was lining up to buy a Nuvi 775T (for travel in US) but I see many users have had lots of problems with the firmware on these units. I turned to Tomtom only to find similar problems with the Go 930T. Any advice on which to go for? I need a new GPS soon as my Garmin Quest has finally died and I'm going to the US soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amiralipanjwani

glander wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum but a user of Garmin units for many years. I was lining up to buy a Nuvi 775T (for travel in US) but I see many users have had lots of problems with the firmware on these units. I turned to Tomtom only to find similar problems with the Go 930T. Any advice on which to go for? I need a new GPS soon as my Garmin Quest has finally died and I'm going to the US soon.

Hi Glander,

Hope you are doing great. I noticed u haven't got any response from anyone. But u must have already bought one of the two GPS u were interested in i.e. Garmin 775T and TomTom 930T.
    I really need ur suggestion on this as i am going to buy one this week. I will much appreciate ur assistance.

I am confused between the two cause of a several of reasons. The 3 issues i am currently thinking of are:
    1. Dead reckoning feature of tomtom 930T which is very helpful in closed areas, parking lot, tunnels, tall buildings etc.
    2. Free life time traffic info, feature.
    3. Better maps. For this, I am actually thinking that TomTom's Teleatlas map are going to improve over time because of their key feature of map sharing (i mean correcting maps and making it more useful and user-friendly). This might become better than the navteq in near future.

Please assist. Thanks a mil!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 glander

Hi. Sorry for the delay. I bought the Garmin 775T in the end. I can tell you a little about that but nothing really about the 930T.

I bought the 775T when I was reassured that the firmware problems were fixed. So far I've had no problems with it. Once in a blue moon it does restart while in the car. Also I use the bluetooth with my Samsung Jet phone and that works fine most of the time. Sometimes the Samsung restarts when the 775T makes contact and the contacts ap runs.

I've used the 775T in the US and it's been fantastic. Also picked up traffic advisory around Chicago and Indianapolis. Works great in Ireland too but not the traffic advisory.

Unfortunately I've no info on the Tomtom's deadreckoning.

I think I have lifetime free traffic updates in the US but am not there that often that it's significant.

Don't know if the Tomtom's maps are better. I'm quite happy with the 775T's maps and was surprised at the amount of 3D buildings in Dublin. I've since updated the maps twice without incident. I takes forever as the maps are huge but it's nice to have the most up to date maps.

Hope this helps. Drop me a line if you've any other questions about the 775T.

Glander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hkhp

Hi amiralipanjwani,

I wonder if you could tell me what GPS you bought finally. I am totally confused for choosing these 2. Both have the same number of good reviews in the web. I personnally like TomTom but still not sure which is better. Also can you let me know where you bought it and how much?

Hello glander,

Can you also tell me where you bought the 775 and how much you paid for it.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

hey glander. I'm looking into buying a 765t I think its the same as the 775t you have but less the usa map. is the lane guidance any good in dublin? thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

TomTom lane guidence is only good on motorways.Have not seen Garmin's in action.

• Advertisement
Advertisement