Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI this weekend July 17- 19

• 16-07-2009 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

(Not including Europa League games tonight)

Friday 17 July Drogheda United 20:45 Bray Wanderers
    Galway United 20:45 Dundalk
    Saturday 18 July Shamrock Rovers 19:00 Sligo Rovers (Tolka Park :eek:)
    Sunday 19 July Bohemians 20:00 :cool: Derry City

(these from soccerway.com -- rte is wrong, again)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

might stick my head in the sand for a couple of days:o

Just gotta think about my (smallish)bet on Shams for the league (i feel dirty)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Huge game in the first division, with Fungal coming to Tolka Park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers v Sligo is on tomorrow night

Shels have the FD won, Des. (I did say that last season though..)

dfx- wrote: »
    Shels have the FD won, Des. (I did say that last season though..)

:eek:

Shut up.

We just played Leeds on Tuesday, it was after the summer friendlies last year that we collapsed.

:)

Now rumours that the Rovers match will be switched to Sligo on Saturday night :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

:)

Now rumours that the Rovers match will be switched to Sligo on Saturday night :eek:

And in tolka???
    The FAI today, Thursday, 16 July, expressed its disappointment at the unavailability of the Tallaght Stadium for Saturday evenings League of Ireland match between Shamrock Rovers and Sligo Rovers.

The FAI grants permission for all friendly fixtures on the clear understanding that there would be no effect on the playing of scheduled League of Ireland fixtures, all parties including South Dublin County Council were aware of that.

South Dublin County Council have for health and safety reasons refused Shamrock Rovers the use of the stadium. After several meetings between the parties involved, the FAI offered full assurances to provide all required personnel to address these concerns to allow this game to proceed as scheduled however South Dublin County Council has insisted that the stadium will remain closed.

Speaking today, Fran Gavin, League of Ireland Director said, “We are disappointed that this game will not go ahead in Tallaght. Last Thursday, (July 9th) the FAI received official notification of the council’s decision to close the venue and having tried to find a solution, including playing the game on Friday night, South Dublin County Council have decided that the game will not go ahead at the Tallaght Stadium. Shamrock Rovers have also expressed their disappointment at South Dublin County Councils decision. As a result, the game has now been rescheduled for Saturday evening at Tolka Park at 7pm.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

never used the thanks button so well :-)

What's wrong with Tallaght? The building work is it?

Will it be ready for Madrid?

Des wrote: »

Dunno ask the best run club in the world why they cant play league games in "their" stadium but can play meaningless preseason games.

yes i do think this is the funniest thing i have heard this season :D

New purple jersey to be released tomorrow with talla crossed out with tippex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des wrote: »

Health and safety I think.

To be honest, I would rather the game was postponed (too late now of course, I mean with adequate notice) so the players don't get burned out for Derry and Boez.

SDCC taking the p*ss leaving it until now to announce it.

• Advertisement

Doubt it's H&S really. If the FAI did really do enough to 'address those concerns', then it must be that the SDCC have taken a sudden interest in the state of the pitch and don't want it played on before the telly comes.

It was safe enough for Newcastle..

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Dunno ask the best run club in the world why they cant play league games in "their" stadium but can play meaningless preseason games.

Even if the SDCC did this every second game, it would be infinitely preferable to trying to maintain a mouldy, antiquated stadium on gates of 1-2 thousand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

stovelid wrote: »
    Even if the SDCC did this every second game, it would be infinitely preferable to trying to maintain a mouldy, antiquated stadium on gates of 1-2 thousand.
    That's not mould. That's not antiquation. That's character!
    Ya can't beat history, son.

SectionF wrote: »
    That's not mould. That's not antiquation. That's character!
    Ya can't beat history, son.

I love those grounds too, but the jibes about using a public ground wear a bit thin. The grounds in Dublin are falling to pieces and the clubs are not generating enough to keep them together. Dalyer is a prime example. How long before it's basically a two sided stadium?

All the guff about a ground being an asset is essentially fallacious. It's an asset if you sell it, which will then necessitate the procurement of a new ground anyway.

The fact remains that I would honestly rather see Rovers renting in a new municipal ground with good facilities than owning an old ground. If some of the other local authorities followed suit, it would be a boon for the clubs in Dublin.

That said, you also get the downside which is the current events. But is it so much of a downside that it negates the good of this season or that I would go back to this time last season?

No.

Hey, I'm only yanking your chain.

In my view, municipal stadia with dedicated tenant clubs is the way to go, and your club, SDCC and Sean O'Donoghue set a great example standing up to the GAA DNA bullies. I hope other local authorities follow suit: otherwise Shamrock will end up dominating the league courtesy of public policy.

I do think the FAI in future should stipulate that any 'glamour' friendly and other showbiz shenanigans must not interfere with the real business, and that clubs take responsibility for this, even to the point of points being forfeited.

SectionF wrote: »
    Hey, I'm only yanking your chain.

In my view, municipal stadia with dedicated tenant clubs is the way to go, and your club, SDCC and Sean O'Donoghue set a great example standing up to the GAA DNA bullies. I hope other local authorities follow suit: otherwise Shamrock will end up dominating the league courtesy of public policy.

I do think the FAI in future should stipulate that any 'glamour' friendly and other showbiz shenanigans must not interfere with the real business, and that clubs take responsibility for this, even to the point of points being forfeited.

Apologies. Bit sensitive at the mo. :)

The club are not to blame here. Given the short notice of the decision, i guess that P1 have applied pressure on SDCC. I think the Sligo fixture should be canceled and played in Tallaght at a later date.

What you say about municipal stadia is true. Drawback is that you also have to deal with gombeen political bodies who throw a pisser if they don't get excessive publicity for their benevolence. And who labour under the delusion that the project would be anything other than a utter White Elephant without the hard work of Rovers.

stovelid wrote: »
    Apologies. Bit sensitive at the mo. :)

The club are not to blame here. Given the short notice of the decision, i guess that P1 have applied pressure on SDCC. I think the Sligo fixture should be canceled and played in Tallaght at a later date.

What you say about municipal stadia is true. Drawback is that you also have to deal with gombeen political bodies who throw a pisser if they don't get excessive publicity for their benevolence. And who labour under the delusion that the project would be anything other than a utter White Elephant without the hard work of Rovers.
    No probs. Not trying to place blame outside of the council - I don't think anyone could have seen that coming. But in future all, erm, 'stakeholders' should be fully aware and it should be the club's responsibility to get clearance before signing up to P1 or similar adventures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Great win for Shels last night (8 in a row! :eek:), which leaves us 6 clear with a game in hand, just after the midway point of the season. That game in hand is looking less fun by the week though, as Harps are beginning to find some form! :(

Battling displays all over the pitch, and one hell of a senior debut from wee Nipper O'Brien - I missed the friendly against Leeds due to work, where this lad was apparently phenomenal, and if last night was anything to go by (against another full-time setup), he should prove to be class!

Quigley was absolute class last night, hopefully this means we won't see Daisy at right back again unless its an emergency! Hedderman is proving to be a better centre half than he ever was full back! Delighted! :D

Table taken from soccerway.com;
    #	 	Team		MP	W	D	L	F	A	D	P	Last 5 matches	
    1		Shelbourne	17	14	1	2	29	9	+20	43	WWWWW	
    2		UCD		18	12	3	3	27	11	+16	39	WLWDW	
    3		Sporting Fingal	18	11	3	4	33	13	+20	36	LWLWW	
    4		Waterford United16	11	2	3	30	10	+20	35	WWLLW	
    5		Wexford Youths	18	9	1	8	16	16	+0	28	LLWWL	
    6		Limerick	17	6	5	6	19	13	+6	23	WLLWL	
    7		Monaghan United	17	6	3	8	25	32	-7	21	LWWLL	
    8		Finn Harps	15	4	6	5	18	19	-1	18	WDWDW	
    9		Athlone Town	16	4	3	9	14	21	-7	15	LLLWD	
    10		Mervue United	17	4	3	10	17	36	-19	15	LLLLW	
    11		Longford Town	16	2	3	11	20	30	-10	9	LLWDL	
    12		Kildare County	17	1	1	15	10	48	-38	4	WLLLL

Fingal must be concerned about Waterford now, 1 point behind with 2 games in hand! Persistent rumours of discontent in the camp, and if they keep up this sort of pace they run the risk of not making the play-off positions. If last night is anything to go by though, they'll pick themselves up for the big games and will take points off the other contenders at the top, I'd assume it's purely a case of motivating a squad of professionals to play in front of 3 fans and a cow up in Kingspan, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

The top 3 will be a decent bit ahead of us. Less than impressive again last night and our manager is brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The top 3 will be a decent bit ahead of us. Less than impressive again last night and our manager is brutal.

Said that from the start myself, just couldn't see your team holding up the pace and it's starting to show I think.

Great win for the oul reds last night, brilliant atmosphere and supposely could be heard miles away according to someone on foot.ie. As for Fungus, what a laughable club, with laughable attendences 60 fans in Tolka last night.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

As for Fungus, what a laughable club, with laughable attendences 60 fans in Tolka last night.:rolleyes:

Speaking of which official attd was 1113 or somfin, is that tickets sold only? A lot closer to 2000 at that match.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Speaking of which official attd was 1113 or somfin, is that tickets sold only? A lot closer to 2000 at that match.

1113 is everyone afaik, match tickets sold and season tickets. For season ticket holders (:cool:) they tick you off when you go through the stile so only the amount of ST holders there on the night are counted unlike most other clubs.

Personnally I thought there was more than 1113, but defo nowhere near 2000,possibly about 1400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Great win for Shels, 8 league wins in a row is unreal. Played 17 and won 14 is great form.
    Got my tickets for Bohs Salzburg today too. Strolled into the ground, looked for someone. There was an office door open and i stuck my head in and there was 1 guy counting a huge pile of money! Fantastic security!

Hard not to look past the Derry match to Wednesday for us. Hope the players can focus, or we'll be easy meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Galway United v Dundalk highlights.

High definition - http://www.youtube.c...6YaTcYyE&fmt=22

Normal quality - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=d8H6YaTcYyE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Galway United v Dundalk highlights.

High definition - http://www.youtube.c...6YaTcYyE&fmt=22

Normal quality - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=d8H6YaTcYyE

Dundalk were class , we could of beat them 4/5 nil , I'm in the video also :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Another defeat for the Youths from a UCD side that has improved greatly from the last time we played them. A blatent penalty not given to us among other dodgy decisions. The FAI referee's assessor kept the officials in their changing room for over half an hour after the game, but sure nothing will ever be done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I was beside that and it wasn't a penalty. Its struck our player in the side. Pretty high up though. Very luck cos his arms were stupidly all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

We'll have to agree to disagree on that Dman. There is an amateur video taken by one of our lads on our website www.wexfordyouthsfcsc.com However, the quality is not good enough to see the incident clearly. Our cameraman was beside your dugout and seemingly, they thought it was a peno.

Anyway, we were not creative enough to get more from the game, it's just that I hate it when the standard of the officials gets more attention than the game itself.

I hope you enjoyed the trip and got a flavour of what we are trying to develop down here in the GAA heartland

• Advertisement

Setanta showing the golf play off, anyone got a stream for tonight's match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We beat Ipswich 2-0 earlier. They were rubbish. We didn't even have a full team out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

Does anybody else think that it was poor form by setanta to not show the first half of the bohs-derry match in favour of the golf? I mean the golf was also on BBC, which i presume most people who have setanta also have, and honestly there wasn't exactly Irish interest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

gimmick wrote: »
    We beat Ipswich 2-0 earlier. They were rubbish. We didn't even have a full team out :)

They were really bad. Good run out for the younger lads anyway, Long and Cambridge impressed.
    sd08 wrote: »
    Does anybody else think that it was poor form by setanta to not show the first half of the bohs-derry match in favour of the golf? I mean the golf was also on BBC, which i presume most people who have setanta also have, and honestly there wasn't exactly Irish interest in it.

The first half of the Bohs/Derry match was shown on Setanta Sports 1 and the second half on Setanta Ireland, when the golf had finished.

What about there team, they have there full out? Attendence?

Was also on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

The first half of the Bohs/Derry match was shown on Setanta Sports 1 and the second half on Setanta Ireland, when the golf had finished.
    Ok, my apologies, don't have Setanta 1 so that must be how I missed it.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Deano=legend.

That is all.

:cool:

What about there team, they have there full out? Attendence?

Crowd of approx 3200. Not bad.

As for Ipswichs team, I really do not know. I only recognised John Stead and Damien Delaney. The PA is so bad in TX you cannot hear anything unless you are in the Donie Forde stand.

Remarkable the difference a season can make watching on Saturday night.

Drawing 0-0 with Cobh in Tolka on a depressing night..to waltzing to a 3-1 win without Twigg and some great football..

Now off to watch the end of the Ashes to tide me over until tonight..

Yes, it was poor form, but hardly surprising. It was only the double champions of Ireland trying to defeat a team they hadn't beaten in living memory.

But I learned a lot about golf. In particular, I was fascinated to be told in the wonderful speeches how much the groundsman had put into getting the greens in tip-top condition, how hard all the volunteers had worked, and how great Scotland is. More fascinated even than the spectators who had taken the trouble to go to the event, but who had mostly cleared off to the bars.

Maybe they watched Bohs on Setanta One while the rest of us fumed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Remarkable the difference a season can make watching on Saturday night.

Drawing 0-0 with Cobh in Tolka on a depressing night..to waltzing to a 3-1 win without Twigg and some great football..

Now off to watch the end of the Ashes to tide me over until tonight..

They didn't rest Twigg for Real, did they? Was there another reason?

• Advertisement

Oops. No he played, but he didn't score. It isn't often Rovers score three without him getting at least one.

He came off early, but the chances of him playing tonight are miniscule.

Crowd of approx 3200. Not bad.

Enough to pay the 400k to the taxman?

No, but it will go a long way to help. Programmes sold out which helps also.

The sale of Behan and Healy should do something also.

Advertisement