Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Populism and Lies regarding Lisbon

Options
  • 16-07-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

It comes across to me as quite strange that all the talk on lisbon is based on half truths and lies, and this applies to both sides. I just read through the thread on Toby Blair being EU president if you vote lisbon in.Then on politics.ie i read that Americo would be the new American currency should lisbon pass. And of course there is the classic phrase that voting no will get FF out of government. To be fair the yes side has its share of blame as well.The argument that lisbon will help ireland to recover economically is ridiculous as the statement that voting on lisbon is good because eu has been good to us.

So I would like to ask everyone to discuss the treaty itself, the articles,the implementations and not the demagogy that is floating around. I know a few people here that do indeed address the issues in the treaty and i would like to ask everyone else to do likewise.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

This post has been deleted.

yes and thats a shame, i mean we can seriously await a number of lies about what lisbon will lead to and of course the yes side will resort to the tactic of saying that without lisbon we will loose our commissioner (which is true, but its not the most important point for voting no).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I wouldn't trust anything you read on politics.ie

their main moderator is from Liebertas

but yes alot of tactics being used that would make Bush/Cheyney proud

just look at the front page of this forum > EU becoming like the USSR

regards
    ei.sdraob | boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Mario007 wrote: »

So I would like to ask everyone to discuss the treaty itself, the articles,the implementations and not the demagogy that is floating around. I know a few people here that do indeed address the issues in the treaty and i would like to ask everyone else to do likewise.
    Thanks
    I tried to start something similar a few days ago , but with no success, the point was put to me that its the interpretation of the articles themselves that spawn the lies. So , no matter what, the thread will deteriorate into another lie fest. I have also realised there is a huge stubbornness from both sides of the field, no matter what info people are given they will not change their point of view. It just gets tiring at that stage.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust anything you read on politics.ie

their main moderator is from Liebertas

but yes alot of tactics being used that would make Bush/Cheyney proud

just look at the front page of this forum > EU becoming like the USSR

regards
    ei.sdraob | boards.ie

yes i noticed politics.ie attracts either full libertarians or many lefties and it makes it very frustrating then to discuss anything.
    wylo wrote: »
    I tried to start something similar a few days ago , but with no success, the point was put to me that its the interpretation of the articles themselves that spawn the lies. So , no matter what, the thread will deteriorate into another lie fest. I have also realised there is a huge stubbornness from both sides of the field, no matter what info people are given they will not change their point of view. It just gets tiring at that stage.

there are such things as the consolidated version of the Lisbon treaty, which is basically showing how each article of previous treaties is changed by lisbon(well there is a slovakian consolidate version, i dunno about an english one). that could be a nice place to start.
    but i do agree with you that it gets tirign and irritating, just reading through the posts here. no matter how many times you state your argument and how strongly you support it the people would still say something like 'yeah but...'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I would love to be able to vote yes to Lisbon. I would always be naturally inclined towards it. But I just can't; and on multiple levels. In relation to the lies I (personally) find the lies of the yes side more distasteful.... perhaps because the yes side have more of a monopoly in being able to propagate such propaganda. Having said this, the lies of the 'no' side have had greater influence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I would love to be able to vote yes to Lisbon. I would always be naturally inclined towards it. But I just can't; and on multiple levels. In relation to the lies I (personally) find the lies of the yes side more distasteful.... perhaps because the yes side have more of a monopoly in being able to propagate such propaganda. Having said this, the lies of the 'no' side have had greater influence...

what lies exactly from the Yes side?

After all the EU has done for Ireland, 'they' deserve a 'yes' vote.
    Without a 'yes' the EU would fall apart.
    Lisbon and the Constitution Treaty are unrelated.
    The French and Dutch public have actually approved of Lisbon
    A 'yes' vote will improve the Irish economy.
    Irish representation in the EU Parliamenrt will be unaffected by Lisbon.
    No voters are only concerned about lies distributed about Lisbon concerning areas such as abortion.
    Lisbon makes almost no changes to the way the EU is run.
    Ireland loses no vetoes.
    It is not possible to have a funtioning economy in Europe without being a member of the EU.
    The recession was partially caused by the 'no' vote.
    The government chose to give the Irish people a referendum (and have decided off their own bat to provide the Irish people with another).
    A 'no' vote would immediately consign Lisbon to the dustbin.
    A 'no' vote would result in Ireland being thrown out of the EU.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Have you got sources for those, or did you just make them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

No voters are only concerned about lies distributed about Lisbon concerning areas such as abortion.
    Ireland loses no vetoes.
    It is not possible to have a funtioning economy in Europe without being a member of the EU.
    The government chose to give the Irish people a referendum (and have decided off their own bat to provide the Irish people with another).

Are we going to discuss the next question: lies about lies?

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Have you got sources for those, or did you just make them up?

Referendum posters (FF, Labour, FG)
    Television and radio debates (RTE, TV3, Newstalk)
    Newspaper articles (mainly Irish Times)

Think it was Eamon Gilmore who said 'rubbish, the Lisbon treaty is dead. It's gone.' after the last referendum (I think he was trying to shut up Ganley at the time).

But if you can't remember all the guff in the run up to the last referendum you can just wait a couple of weeks for the next campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I'd certainly agree some of those have been used:

Pretty much one of the major messages last time.

Given in conjunction with that quote about the EU being like a bicycle, yes.

"Unrelated"? No, not really. "Not identical" is claimed, certainly, but not "unrelated".

In the French case, by voting for Sarkozy? That does get said.

Well, what's said is more that a No vote will damage it. I don't think many people are claiming a Yes will improve the Irish economy as such, although it's certainly being said that passing Lisbon will allow the EU to get on with the more pressing issue of the economy.

Why would that not be said? We have 12 MEPs now, we'd have 12 under Lisbon.

Nobody says those are the only things No voters are concerned about - they say that "a lot of No voters" were concerned about them, which is pretty accurate.

Haven't heard that one. It's called the "Reform Treaty" after all!
    Ireland loses no vetoes.

Haven't heard that one either - would be surprised if anybody came out with such a complete porkie.

Again, haven't heard it.

I've never seen this explicitly claimed, and when I go to search for it what I mostly find is No proponents claiming its being claimed. I don't doubt it's part of the 'official' narrative, though.

That doesn't seem inaccurate. If the government had decided that Crotty didn't apply - which is quite possible (feel free to say how it does) - they wouldn't have had to hold a referendum. If they hadn't wanted to hold a second referendum, they could simply have told the other member states that it was politically impossible.

Bear in mind that in the incredibly unlikely event that the 2007 General Election had resulted in a majority Sinn Fein government, there would probably not have been a referendum on Lisbon - the government does not have to pass, or even propose, the referendum bill.

It was mostly the No side who said that - let's face it, the precedent from Nice, and from Maastricht, should make it obvious that a rejection doesn't automatically kill off a treaty. You could make a case that Gilmore believed it, but I don't think a point was made of it before the vote.

There are people saying that, but nobody official, I think.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Scofflaw has responded to those statements better than I could.

The point I would make to people concerned about the state of the EU is this. Will a "no" vote improve the EU? I would argue not, even if you have serious isues with the EU.

With a yes vote, progress will continue. If you feel changes need to be made you can push for them. Go talk to your TDs and MEPs. Get involved. With a no vote all progress will be stopped for years. Speaking generally of the EU needing to "change" "listen to the people" is meaningless when the same people who complain elect the same politicans. You might complain that you have no choice. That the alternatives are far left/far right, but that is the choce you make. If you want a far left or right EU you can vote that way. If you want a middle of the spectrum EU... well that's what you have.

I'm not going to scaremonger. If there is a no the politicans will scramble about and try to find a solution. Some people may laugh and say good riddance let the politicans scramble, but it's we the people who will be left with uncertainty and doubt. Others may be willing to let the politicans worry, but I worry too.

ix.

Another lie I forgot: no negotiation was possible with Lisbon (to counter the no side 'better deal' argument). This is only 'not a lie' if one accepts that the guarantees are meaningless, which makes the value placed on the guarantees by the government in itself deceitful (it is not enough to argue that meaningless counters meaningless if it is done so through blatant falsehood)

There were others... just can't think of them at the moment.

Anyway, it's my vain hope that a defeat of Lisbon would make progress develop differently within the EU, and also the manner in which the extant infrastructure is changed and redeveloped. Vain, because nothing changed after the defeat of the Constitution Treaty, apart from Brussels' expectations concerning ratification via referenda. How depressing. :( Nevertheless, that's hardly sufficient grounds for me to change my vote... unless you are to argue that another 'no' jeopardises Crotty (in which case, what is the point in Crotty in the first place?)

Oh, and the Irish MEP numbers are going to be reduced - I don't see how it could be argued otherwise?

Another lie I forgot: no negotiation was possible with Lisbon (to counter the no side 'better deal' argument). This is only 'not a lie' if one accepts that the guarantees are meaningless, which makes the value placed on the guarantees by the government in itself deceitful (it is not enough to argue that meaningless counters meaningless if it is done so through blatant falsehood)

No, that misses the point of the guarantees, which are purely to deal with the false issues raised by the No side. That doesn't make them meaningless, even though they don't change Lisbon itself.
    Anyway, it's my vain hope that a defeat of Lisbon would make progress develop differently within the EU, and also the manner in which the extant infrastructure is changed and redeveloped. Vain, because nothing changed after the defeat of the Constitution Treaty, apart from Brussels' expectations concerning ratification via referenda. How depressing. :( Nevertheless, that's hardly sufficient grounds for me to change my vote... unless you are to argue that another 'no' jeopardises Crotty (in which case, what is the point in Crotty in the first place?)

There's a limited number of things that you can get 27 countries to agree to. They tend to come up pretty regularly. The idea that voting No will suddenly cause the 27 member states to abandon all the current systems in favour of radical changes would involve a set of radical changes that were generally agreed on by those who want to abandon the current systems - unfortunately, there is no such set of changes.
    Oh, and the Irish MEP numbers are going to be reduced - I don't see how it could be argued otherwise?

They've been reduced, under Nice - are you saying they would be further reduced under Lisbon?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    They've been reduced, under Nice - are you saying they would be further reduced under Lisbon?

Er... yes. Down to eight if memory serves me correctly. And the number of German MEPs double. It seems pretty straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Er... yes. Down to eight if memory serves me correctly. And the number of German MEPs double. It seems pretty straight forward

er you are really confused now, our number of mep's are not being reduced to 8 under lisbon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_the_European_Union

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Do you bother to check any anti Lisbon points you hear? Or do you just automatically soak everything you hear as fact without thinking for yourself?

marco_polo wrote: »
    Do you bother to check any anti Lisbon points you hear? Or do you just automatically soak everything you hear as fact without thinking for yourself?

Actually, it's unusual for RandomName2 to be factually wrong in such a way. The number of German MEPs drops from 99 to 96 under Lisbon, while the Irish MEPs stays the same at 12. We dropped from 13 under the Nice arrangements, which reduced the Parliament from 785 to 736. Lisbon raises it again to 751, but that's not quite enough to get us back our 13th MEP without a population increase.

surprised,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... The number of German MEPs drops from 99 to 96 under Lisbon, while the Irish MEPs stays the same at 12. We dropped from 13 under the Nice arrangements, which reduced the Parliament from 785 to 736. Lisbon raises it again to 751, but that's not quite enough to get us back our 13th MEP without a population increase.

You mean that we need a few more immigrants?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Actually, it's unusual for RandomName2 to be factually wrong in such a way. The number of German MEPs drops from 99 to 96 under Lisbon, while the Irish MEPs stays the same at 12. We dropped from 13 under the Nice arrangements, which reduced the Parliament from 785 to 736. Lisbon raises it again to 751, but that's not quite enough to get us back our 13th MEP without a population increase.

surprised,
    Scofflaw

Fair enough, a bit of a substantial error all the same. I haven't been around these parts in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Fair enough, a bit of a substantial error all the same. I haven't been around these parts in a while.

Busy rediscovering China?

Sure I heard I from a reliable source.... oh well, can't be right all the time I suppose. Just as well I'm not being graded. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Sure I heard I from a reliable source.... oh well, can't be right all the time I suppose. Just as well I'm not being graded. :D

In principle, there is no reason why the number of MEPs couldn't be adjusted in future to more accurately reflect the population distribution of the member states (i.e. larger states would get more MEPs, smaller states less).

However, unless the voting system in the Council of Ministers was also adjusted to compensate the smaller member for their loss of influence in the EP, there is no way the smaller states would accept it (in other words, the smaller states would want more votes vis-a-vis the larger states in the Council of Ministers to ensure their interests are protected).

Needless to say, this would require (future) changes to the EU Treaties - either post-Nice or post-Lisbon - with all the attendant complications that go with that.

It would also raise real interesting issues about how the voting systems in the two institutions should be changed, and which systems would in practice be better for the EU as a whole and, of course, for each member state themselves.

View wrote: »
    In principle, there is no reason why the number of MEPs couldn't be adjusted in future to more accurately reflect the population distribution of the member states (i.e. larger states would get more MEPs, smaller states less).

However, unless the voting system in the Council of Ministers was also adjusted to compensate the smaller member for their loss of influence in the EP, there is no way the smaller states would accept it (in other words, the smaller states would want more votes vis-a-vis the larger states in the Council of Ministers to ensure their interests are protected).

Needless to say, this would require (future) changes to the EU Treaties - either post-Nice or post-Lisbon - with all the attendant complications that go with that.

It would also raise real interesting issues about how the voting systems in the two institutions should be changed, and which systems would in practice be better for the EU as a whole and, of course, for each member state themselves.

Like everything else in the EU, it's a compromise between the principle of "one state one vote" and "one citizen one vote". We have an obvious preference for the former, because we are the smallest EU state we bother to think about.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Like everything else in the EU, it's a compromise between the principle of "one state one vote" and "one citizen one vote". We have an obvious preference for the former, because we are the smallest EU state we bother to think about.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

even though there are much smaller eu states and some states that are about the size of ireland...its a nicely isolated world we live in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

Dick Roche on Late Night Live on Newstalk in 2008 telling Declan Carty there wouldn't be a second referendum if we voted no. This is already in the public domain. He was asked by Declan Carty and he replied "no".

Dick Roche on Late Night Live on Newstalk in 2008 telling Declan Carty there wouldn't be a second referendum if we voted no. This is already in the public domain. He was asked by Declan Carty and he replied "no".

As far as I remember, that, like Gilmore's comments, came after the vote. Neither of them, therefore, are either part of the referendum campaigns, or relevant to the Treaty. If we're simply going to list every time Dick Roche has been less than honest, we would be here for weeks - instead, the question is concerned with lies told about the Treaty.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

As far as I remember, that, like Gilmore's comments, came after the vote. Neither of them, therefore, are either part of the referendum campaigns, or relevant to the Treaty. If we're simply going to list every time Dick Roche has been less than honest, we would be here for weeks - instead, the question is concerned with lies told about the Treaty.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    It came before the vote. I was listening to it at the time.

• Advertisement

It came before the vote. I was listening to it at the time.

Fair enough. If it formed part of the government narrative, then it qualifies.

corrected,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement