Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Printing on printer connected to Edimax 3G-6200WG Router with Print Server

Options
  • 16-07-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I have an HP Laserjet printer(USB) connected to the USB2 port of an Edimax 3G-6200WG 3G broadband router with print server. All the systems connected to the router directly can print with out any problems.

The router is not directly connected to the internet. It is connected via the WAN port, of an ADSL modem router which is directly connected to the Internet. So unless the router (printserver) is directly connected to the internet it wouldnt have a public IP and I wouldnt be able to use an IP of 192.168.x.x range for IPP configuration.

Any idea to work around this issue and to be able to do Internet Printing from systems on other networks or from home?

The following is an extract from the router manual:-
    Select “Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network”
    and enter the URL of Print Server. The URL format is “http://IP:631/Port Name”.
    The IP should be the Print Server’s IP. The number 631 is IPP standard port
    number. Port Name is the port name of Print Server that your printer is
    connected to. The default port name is “lpt1”. One example of the URL is
    http://192.168.2.1:631/lpt1

The OS on all the systems is Win XP and the network is peer to peer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

you can do one of two things:

get the edimax to create a pppoe session through the adsl modem, so that the edimax has the external internet ip directly routed to it.

or

you can get you adsl modem/router to port forward port 631 to the edimax

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Internet printing is insecure and a really bad idea.

Use ordinary Network printing on the LAN.

Setup OpenVPN or some other VPN solution if you want to use a resource on a LAN from the Internet.

See also http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/16/buggy_web_interface_peril/

Only ever have VPN access through your firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

Thanks for the replies...

I would seek the help of edimax. Also interested in VPN if I could share and use a printer remotely.

OpenVPN would only give 2 free client licenses. Since I work for a small startup company I prefer some free open source VPN software. Hamachi is now only free for Non-Commercial use.

Anything free open source that you would suggest...?

Dunno where you get the idea that OpenVPN only can have two free clients. The Clue is in the name. have a Google.

Iv'e used MS VPN here for years and we switched to OpenVPN (on a Win2K server, but it can be installed on an OpenWRT router or any PC left on running nearly any OS) for greater security and also so we mapped port 80 on Firewall to it.

So at at remote location that ONLY allows web browsing, you can't use MS VPN. But with your firewall accepting port 80 and mapping it to LAN IP and normal OpenVPN port, you edit your client and you can connect.

It means too at a WiFi hotspot you do Email and Web via your home/Office Internet and everything is encrypted on the VPN on Port80.

It's too easy fro someone to get all your email passwords etc by packet sniffing on WiFI hot spot and if the HotSpot owner wants, (s)he can run a transparent man in the middle attack on HTTPS. Not so easy on OpenVPN.

• Advertisement
Advertisement