Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wood stain?

Options
  • 16-07-2009 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I'm decorating a kitchen for a friend. The cabinets are a ligh teak colour and badly faded. He wants to change them to something more attractive. I was thinking of painting them with a coloured stain—maybe some shade of blue; the kitchen walls are a pastel lemon green.

Does anyone know about this type of stain and where I might get it in south Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

"Coloured stain"....do you mean a wood wash? that is to say do you want the grain showing through but "stained" blue? or is it more of an opaque painted blue you're after?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ceoltoir

It would probably be better more opaque as the wood is faded and marked in some places. It's a case of trying to hide the blemishes and make it look pretty at the same time. The existing dark teak look is very bland, so maybe something to go with the pale lemony green of the wall would be nice. I read somewhere about pigment stain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah there was a thread on here or in Design&Decor that somone linked to sadolin's website...they do a range of coloured stains. I've not used them so can't give you much info re colour, but stain is much easier to apply than paint, especially on something like teak, where with normal paint you'd need primers and such.
    ...and if sadolins are doing it I'm sure there's other similar products from other manafacturers.

http://www.sadolin.co.uk/professional/products/opaque/superdec/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ceoltoir

Thanks for the help WERTZ. I'll follow that up.

Advertisement