Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€100 euro car,but clutch slipping

• 16-07-2009 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

hi all,well I have been offered a 1998 toyota corolla with a few months nct on it for €100,car seems to be in pretty good nick,its a 1.4 with 97000 miles on it,the only issue is that the clutch slips every now and then while driving it,im just wondering is it repairable or would i need a whole new clutch on it,its a cheap enough car i just dont wanna end up forking out ten times its value on repairs,any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

triple-M wrote: »
    hi all,well I have been offered a 1998 toyota corolla with a few months nct on it for €100,car seems to be in pretty good nick,its a 1.4 with 97000 miles on it,the only issue is that the clutch slips every now and then while driving it,im just wondering is it repairable or would i need a whole new clutch on it,its a cheap enough car i just dont wanna end up forking out ten times its value on repairs,any advice greatly appreciated

Yeah nice deal! A clutch is easy to do on a Corolla, you should get it done for the 300-400 Euro mark... Given that the car cost you 100 Euro, that isn't that bad OP... Some car's like some Passat's can cost up to 1,500 Euro for a clutch replaceement...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

my mate does new clutches on Toyotas for €280 supplied and fitted, just to give you an idea of the cost to fix.

great deal, would make a great run around or commuting car.

kceire wrote: »
    my mate does new clutches on Toyotas for €280 supplied and fitted, just to give you an idea of the cost to fix.

great deal, would make a great run around or commuting car.

Yeah Corolla's are in and out jobs... Handy to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭kindalen

how long are you keeping car?how often is clutch slipping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm not sure if this would be an issue, but on my last car I didn't get the clutch replaced in time and had to get the flywheel changed as well, doubling my bill. So, get it checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Bargain. Spend a few bob on the clutch and you'll get another

10 years out of it. Happy motoring.

eoin wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this would be an issue, but on my last car I didn't get the clutch replaced in time and had to get the flywheel changed as well, doubling my bill. So, get it checked out.

Was that a dual mass flywheel or a recessed type flywheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dual mass (e46 320d). Might not be applicable in this case then?

No the OP's flywheel is completely solid and also flat so it could be resurfaced to save a few quid if there was a problem with it.

If I was doing that job in your car Eoin I'd be changing the DMF anyway if the clutch was being done. Usually it's the DMF that actually goes first and then the whole clutch is replaced as best practice when the DMF is being replaced, just so you can close the bonnet on transaction and know that it won't be back for a DMF or clutch issue anytime soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

98 Corollas are fetching alot more than €100 even if the clutch was gone. What's the catch?

Come to think of it, the risk is still only the price of a good night on the town if the car is a lemon. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

car is worth about 1k + with the clutch fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Most likely was the DMF which was faulty originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

thanks for all the responses sorry im only responding now,i've been offline the last few days,got the car for €100 anyways managed to drive it up to dublin from waterford even with the clutch occasionally slipping (avoided motorways)it seems fairly sturdy i bought it off a friend who just didnt have space for it anymore so its pretty legit, i was planning on repairing it and selling it but I might just keep it as a second car,it seems pretty solid,I wish i could say the same for my last car which was a new passat and was a total disaster :( thanks for all the helpful advice folks :D

Advertisement