Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of build (free labour!)

• 16-07-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all

Myself and my husband have a site (from my parents farm) and have planning permission.
    We are intending to build a two storey house, 2600 sq ft.
    He is a carpenter but also has lots of experience building houses.
    So he will be doing the vast majority of the work (including building, all carpentry and all tiling). Also his father is an electrician so we are hoping he will do this work for nothing or near nothing! One of his best friends is a plumber who should do the work for a reasonable rate.
    We are planning on having a good finish inside - a really nice kitchen, a nice wooden stairs which will be slightly curved at the end. Also half of the front of the house will be finished in stone.
    Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect the cost to be?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

€65-75 ft 2 rough guide . Labour rates are rock bottom . Materials €€€€'s are not .

Cost may potentially a lot more if you don't have insurance . Even a friend may be forced to sue you if they are injured . So they can feed their own family .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

I would have thought it would be less than that - there's alot of posts on here saying that builders are quoting €75 per square foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

miss.piggy wrote: »
    I would have thought it would be less than that - there's alot of posts on here saying that builders are quoting €75 per square foot!

75e per sq ft might get you a house but it will be to a very very basic finish. Minimum insulation, no renewable energy, pvc windows,no kitchen. etc.. Still have to pay council contribution fees, a couple of grand for esb connection. It all adds up. Until you decide heating system and window type you can't even begin to put a rough figure on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

get a QS to price up the cost of materials and ask him/her to factor in the current discount rates which are all over the place. Once you have the cost of materials you can work it up from there.

Advertisement