Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive upgrade on a late 2006 MBP?

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've done it - just make sure that you keep all the screws separate. There's still one or two that I don't know where they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You might as well go for a 500 GB while you're at it

Komplett have a 7,200 RPM Seagate Momentus but make sure if you get the one with the 'G' in the part number, that you turn off your MBP g-shock feature

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

sorry for hijacking the thread OP but my question is related

I'm thinking of upgrading the HD in a mid 2008 macbook (2.4G / 13").

I recently got an external usb drive from aldi (the €79 2.5" 320GB one, MD90153.005) which I haven't used yet.

Wondering if I could dismantle the case & use this to upgrade rather than buying another HD?

has anyone done anything like this before?

All depends on the size of the HDD TBH and I'd say it's a 3.5" in the EXT one. Also depends on the connection, needs to be sATA

Macs (and most other laptops) take 2.5" HDDs only. They also only take 9.5mm height ones as some can be 12.5mm and won't fit

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

Thanks all for the responses.

Jev/N, could you elaborate on your comment below please? How do I turn off the MBP g-shock feature if I do decide to get that drive?
    Jev/N wrote: »
    You might as well go for a 500 GB while you're at it

Komplett have a 7,200 RPM Seagate Momentus but make sure if you get the one with the 'G' in the part number, that you turn off your MBP g-shock feature

• Advertisement

No worries... you would turn off the g-shock feature on your MBP from Terminal, there are how-to guides with the code if you Google it (i haven't done it yet so don't have the info to hand).

The feature in the MBP basically freezes the HDD if there is an sudden movement or change in gravity detected. The reason there is need to turn it off is that these HDDs come with their own g shock sensor which tends to conflict with the MBP's one, causing loads of problems.

There are two types of the 500GB 7,200 RPM Momentus but it seems that Komplett only sell the 'G' version

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sorry to hijack, but I installed this Seagate drive in my uncle's white MB, and never did that Terminal stuff.
    Should I do it ASAP?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack, but I installed this Seagate drive in my uncle's white MB, and never did that Terminal stuff.
    Should I do it ASAP?

Nope, that one is fine (it ends in 'AS' rather than 'ASG') so there's no g-shock feature in it :)

Advertisement