Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundwood reservoir

Options
  • 16-07-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Can anybody recommended me some flys for this time of year on roundwood reservoir? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I fish it now and then. Access is tricky at the moment if you are bank fishing as both reservoirs are full due to the high rainfall. I was up there only one evening recently. Conditions were a bit calm and I had just one little nine inch trout.

There is a big hatch of silverhorn so some dry imitations would be good if conditions are calm. My favourite wet fly for Roundwood is the March Brown which is a good silverhorn immitation. Other good flies are Hoppers, Bibio, Black Pennell and maybe a Dunkeld or butcher for a little flash. I find you need luck to find a good rise on the surface which might lead you to believe there is a poor stock. They are there in numbers though and are usually picking up cased caddis larvae from the bottom. A sinking leader is worth trying.

Let us know how you get on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I don't fish it any more.
    But if I wanted to go there tomorrow I think I would use:
    sedge adult and pupa = cinamon sedge, green sedge pupa, ambe sedge pupa, 12s &14s
    chironomid adult and pupa = Grey Duster, buzzer pupa, 14s, 16s 18s
    terrestrials crane fly, grasshoper, beetles, hawthorn fly, bog fly = daddylonglegs, hopper, Coch-y-Bondhu, Hawthorn fly, Dry Bloody Butcher, various suitable sizes
    pinhead fry = Polystickle, Alexandra, Butcher, 8s, 10s
    corixa = Corixa, Black & Peacock Spider, 12s, 14s

Advertisement