Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beatport changes

Options
  • 16-07-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Just heard this from a friend this morning - Beatport have upped their requirements from 200$ per quarter to 500$ per quarter to be able to stay on their catalog.

Labels are under that 500$ are being asked to reapply once their income stream is higher (makes sense i'm sure ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Just heard this from a friend this morning - Beatport have upped their requirements from 200$ per quarter to 500$ per quarter to be able to stay on their catalog.

Labels are under that 500$ are being asked to reapply once their income stream is higher (makes sense i'm sure ;)

Ok let me get this straight, to be on beatport now the tracks on your label must sell to the amount of 500 dollars every three months. Does that include the label and artist cut or is it just beatports cut of the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I believe it's total sales POS - like total from the portals, not the cuts after.

I did the math, so that means that in order to stay on beatport you must average about 75 song sales a month. That doesnt sound to unreasonable, or is it?

On a side note, how is that sweet child of mine remix at number two in the beatport charts, its one of the most amteurish things ive ever heard on beatport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

it's based on turnover figures. You can expect to see that figure of 500 go up further in the next year.

Anywho, if you're not hitting turnover targets, they don't automatically kick you off. If they think you're a genuinely good label they'll let you stay there.

ah gimmicky remixes etc., always sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

SteveDon wrote: »
    I did the math, so that means that in order to stay on beatport you must average about 75 song sales a month. That doesnt sound to unreasonable, or is it?

Less than 1000 sales a year -

Is it just a case of them trying to unclog the place with shyt that doesn't sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

More they can't afford to maintain the smaller low profit labels or they'd be going to the wall by the looks of it. I read somewhere (so don't know if true), that they sacked half their staff recently also - as a cost cutting thing to stop going under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

so basically its fashionable generic minimal in - everything else out :rolleyes:

and people still have a straight face when thy ask me why i wont go near them with damaged trax!!

so basically its fashionable generic minimal in - everything else out :rolleyes:

and people still have a straight face when thy ask me why i wont go near them with damaged trax!!

Well not really only minimal. Its whoever can shift 75 tracks a month, which in fairness is a pretty reasonable amount.

Why wouldnt you stick damamged trax up on beatport, it has the largest market share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Well not really only minimal. Its whoever can shift 75 tracks a month, which in fairness is a pretty reasonable amount.

Why wouldnt you stick damamged trax up on beatport, it has the largest market share?

because damaged trax sells enough on the other sites to keep it running. i only release 3/4 times a year and i have no interest in trying to make it a BIG seller. it does what it does and has the respect of the hard techno community, which is all i want for it.

to be honest i'd rather give the releases away for free than sell on beatport. which is exactly what i did with the damaged acid label. i had the contract for beatport infront of me, didnt like it so i pulled the label and gave away all 10 releases as free downloads.

i dont know about other dance scenes but the techno scene to me has always been about integrity (and good music) and i plan on keeping my business that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Neurojazz wrote: »
    I read somewhere (so don't know if true), that they sacked half their staff recently also
    A friend of mine who worked there was recently let go along with quite a few other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

On a side note, how is that sweet child of mine remix at number two in the beatport charts, its one of the most amteurish things ive ever heard on beatport.

I know, isn't it horrendous! I just don't get how crap like that gets up there :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

acman wrote: »
    I know, isn't it horrendous! I just don't get how crap like that gets up there :confused:

the general public have no taste

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭crowdcontrol

They have been in contact with my good self saying I need to do more. We dont release every quarter so this may see us getting the boot :rolleyes:

I guess they are trying to get rid of hobby labels and basically any label that is not fully comitted to being a label.....

Advertisement