Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was There A Time.....

Options
  • 16-07-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

When you could afford to drink in the UCD Student Bar?
    It just seems really steep in price, unless you're interested in Fosters?:p
    Views people??
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It's totally fúcked so it is, a pint of fosters in the SU bars is more expensive than a pint of heineken in Maynooth, it's ridiculous. And these bars are subsidised so where pray tell is all of the money going? Funny thing is, nothing will change and the price won't go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

El Siglo wrote: »
    ..a pint of fosters in the SU bars is more expensive than a pint of heineken in Maynooth, it's ridiculous.

You've got to be ****ting me. F*cking hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭StopWhispering

Bring back Fosters Dollars!

You've got to be ****ting me. F*cking hell.

€3.65 if my arithmetic is correct for a pint of cat's piss (fosters) in the SU student bar, €3.50 in the Roost (normal haunt near the college) in Maynooth for a pint of Heineken (Monday to Friday, last Saturday they jacked the price up for some reason). So UCD is really shít on affordability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IxM

Is it true Kiddie's Booze (Vk, Smirnoff Ice and the likes:rolleyes:) is like 6 quid a bottle? the girls that lived across from me last year always wer fuming about the cost??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

IxM wrote: »
    Is it true Kiddie's Booze (Vk, Smirnoff Ice and the likes:rolleyes:) is like 6 quid a bottle? the girls that lived across from me last year always wer fuming about the cost??

All the big brand alcopops are pretty expensive and rightly so as they're absolute piss

Dunno bout VK etc. as they're usually pretty cheap

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's not worth going to the student bar anymore, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I read in the Herald a while back that a hotel in Dorset Street goes @ €3.30 a pint which isn't too bad for the pocket but just geographically inconvienient for us UCD lads and lasses.

GobBass wrote: »
    I read in the Herald a while back that a hotel in Dorset Street goes @ €3.30 a pint which isn't too bad for the pocket but just geographically inconvienient for us UCD lads and lasses.

Yeh I've heard of that one alright, there's one near Bolton street which is used by the DIT crowd, it does something like €9.50 for a pitcher, of what I'm not sure but it's not too bad either way. Again, when the pav is open again, it's a good cheap spot (or it was when I was there last) cheap cans and the centra isn't too far away either.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭StopWhispering

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yeh I've heard of that one alright, there's one near Bolton street which is used by the DIT crowd, it does something like €9.50 for a pitcher, of what I'm not sure but it's not too bad either way. Again, when the pav is open again, it's a good cheap spot (or it was when I was there last) cheap cans and the centra isn't too far away either.;)

Was in The Pav only 2 weeks ago during that splintering heatwave. It's open again. And you can buy Bavaria in there too (although that Centra on Nassau Street is better value).
    I really wish UCD had a Pav' sort of place too with a nice open green space. But the UCD Police couldn't have that, oh no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Most alcopops,like Smirnoff Ice and Bacardi breezers cost a fiver,though I do recall a cheaper knock off of Smirnoff Ice called Red which was €4 and quite nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

It's ridiculous. They put so much time and effort into trying to create a campus atmosphere but completely ignore the best place to foster that atmosphere, the bar! I'd love to stay in college in the evening and have a few drinks but there's now way I can spend 3.65 on something that tastes better after its passed through my digestive system. They really need to sort out cheaper deals or bring in cans.
    Oh yeah, and the guy who works in the forum bar is an ars3hole.

The student bar is in dire need of refit, and I've found the attitude of some of the staff hostile without reason on occasion. However, the drink prices mean that I'm not going to pay to go there rather than somewhere else with a bit more comfort. Lonnegan's is much better value, as is Kitty O'Shea's in Clonskeagh. Both are also on major bus routes so perfect for pre-clubbing drinks too.

I was at a conference over in Imperial College last September and stayed in the residences attached to the college. The on-campus bar was smallish, but had a large number of picnic tables outside. The drink was cheap, the pints were good, and they also did off-sales of cans. However I think that off-sales are a non-starter in UCD: i know a few of the high-ups have an obsession about drink availability, but I also think the student bar may get lower margins on cans. So they're not exactly in a hurry to sell them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Can't remember exactly what he looks like, think he's older. Don't really go in there anymore. Went in once with my rugby team, bout 20 of us, to watch a munster match which was on the tv. Two guys come in and ask if he'll put on a liverpool match and he changes over. We go up and say we were watching that match. His reply, "they asked to watch the liverpool match, you never asked to watch the rugby" even though it was already on when we came in, course we didn't ask! Very grumpy in general as well whenever i come in contact with him.

But yes, cans would be good. Don't think they'd lose out profit-wise, sell em for 2yo yos, half the price of a pint at the mo, and you'd defo get double the amount of people going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Ye guys aren't supposed to be abusing people on this.

I always found the price of alcohol pretty ok in the bars. But then again I did most of my drinking when Fosters was only €3 a pint

Sorry, apologies if i was out of line. Didn't mean to break the rules, wont happen again.

I'd love if they had another beer on tap instead of fosters. Was never a fan, maybe bavaria (or hollondia, my favourite beer of all time... though i don't think many will agree with me on that one!)

I would love to say who but I would get banned. However I think that people should go and report any bad customer service they encounter there to the SU - who allegedly run the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Apparently its one of the most profitable bars in Ireland even taking in the fact most of business takes place between September and May. Dont have any stats but thats what I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

how much is a pint of bulmers outta curiousity ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Bavaria in the Pav is E2.30, cider E2.80, and 4 cans are E8
    Every now and again they have other promos, had cobra and VK iirc,
    Everything else is full price, spirits are v expensive too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Advertisement