Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry! Out to ban me!!!

Options
  • 16-07-2009 2:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

Just banned from after hours for trolling!
    Wasnt trolling, i'm opinionated.
    Some mods dont understand the difference.

Can boards.ie please give Terry and certain other mods a class on the difference between having an opinion people dont like and trolling.

Thanks xxx :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Sad but true!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Feedback is for feedback. Help Desk is for problems you have with boards.ie. Simples.

When you say things that you know are going to upset other people, irrespective of whether you actually believe those things, you shouldn't be surprised when people are upset by them. Terry's just preserving the status quo for now. You'll have to wait until people get to 'know what you're like' and start ignoring you before you can get away with that sort of thing.

Feedback is for feedback. Help Desk is for problems you have with boards.ie. Simples.

When you say things that you know are going to upset other people, irrespective of whether you actually believe those things, you shouldn't be surprised when people are upset by them. Terry's just preserving the status quo for now. You'll have to wait until people get to 'know what you're like' and start ignoring you before you can get away with that sort of thing.

Get away with what sort of thing, having an opinion?

sure whats the point in having a discussion site then if ya have to agree and go along with the opinions of mods.

If you cant handle an opinion different than yours or ya dont like it then you shouldnt really be getting into a debate at all.

I was banned for so called trolling, not for upsetting someone!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Trolling is intentionally upsetting other people.

Think about this: paedophilia is a sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children. It's a psychological disorder and even most paedophiles are on some level ashamed of their sexuality. However, there are groups who are of the opinion that it's ok to be attracted to children. Society, in general, is not ready to accept their views and as such they keep their opinions to themselves. Were they to start posting their views in public, those postings would be removed and preventative measures so that they could not re-post those views.

That, quite simply, is what has happened here. Your so-called opinions (not that I really buy that line either) seem to be upsetting to the community in which you are posting them. As such, those responsible for the community's well-being are simply doing their job by removing your access.

Frankly, people who continue to fight their corner with regard to moderation issues without taking other people into account usually re-offend to the extent that they end up permanently banned. If you want your access continued, you will need to address the problem society has with you and not continuously re-hash the problem you have with society.

LOL that argument is ridiculous, how can you even put why i was banned in the same argument as Paedophilia. Bit extreme dont you think.

Why bother having a helpdesk or feedback, since all you guys do is defend Mods.

My opinions werent offensive, did you even read them?

How can saying i dont agree with people using abortion as a form of contraception like Madonna or Sinead O'Connor did offend anyone???

Terry just doesnt like me, and he let his personal vendetta get in the way of his modding!

Thats exactly what happened. The guy cant handle a woman with an opinion and the face that i've shown up his double standards a few times.

There was no warning no nothing, just banned for 7 days, ive seen people actually insult others and only get a day ban.

• Advertisement

Oh right. I didn't know you wanted me to look at anything in particular because you didn't provide any links. Maybe you should.

Also, you seem to be missing the connection I was making. It was between opinions and their removal. Not posting on boards and paedophilia. Ah well.

Oh right. I didn't know you wanted me to look at anything in particular because you didn't provide any links. Maybe you should.

Also, you seem to be missing the connection I was making. It was between opinions and their removal. Not posting on boards and paedophilia. Ah well.

So you gave an opinion and took the side of the mod without even knowing what you were talking about? Not very helpful for a help desk.
    Why didnt you ask me for a link? And i cant provide a link when i'm banned because i cant get onto after hours.
    It was the abortion thread in AH fyi!

You were likening how a paedophiles opinions arent liked and how mine arent on the AH thread. as i said bit of an extreme comparison, especially when you didnt know what i was talking about in the first place.

Just banned from after hours for trolling!
    Wasnt trolling, i'm opinionated.
    Some mods dont understand the difference.

Can boards.ie please give Terry and certain other mods a class on the difference between having an opinion people dont like and trolling.

Thanks xxx :D
    So you gave an opinion and took the side of the mod without even knowing what you were talking about? Not very helpful for a help desk.
    Why didnt you ask me for a link? And i cant provide a link when i'm banned because i cant get onto after hours.
    It was the abortion thread in AH fyi!
    Ok. Boards.ie has 901 forums that are active. I am in part responsible for the smooth running of all of them. Of those 901, I'd approximate that 1% will take up about two hours each of my time this week. Now, I'm probably one of the least busy Admins when it comes to real-life obligations but I have a life offline and I'm also trying to fit in watching as much QI as possible on youtube before I have to start reading 30 pages of legalese in the few hours I have left before my girlfriend rings me to taxi her home from work.

So, I'm trying my best to get as much Admin-related stuff done this afternoon before I have a couple of pints tonight. Tomorrow, I'm driving 200 miles home to see my parents for a couple of hours before then taxiing my girlfriend to the airport (see Relationship Issues forum) at 4am. The next time I will have Internet access that I can really do anything with will be Tuesday night.

There are over 36,025 threads in After Hours rendering a total of 1,332,034 posts. If I search for 'abortion' on AH, that gives 391 threads and as for posts, search will only throw back the last 500. Having found the most recent thread about abortion on AH, which I can only assume is the one in which you posted and for which postings you were subsequently banned, there are over 900 posts in that thread alone.

Do you think I have time to find yours?

You can just log out of boards.ie and visit AH to link me to your post(s) and/or the post that banned you.
    You were likening how a paedophiles opinions arent liked and how mine arent on the AH thread. as i said bit of an extreme comparison, especially when you didnt know what i was talking about in the first place.
    Firstly, I never mentioned anything about paedophiles' opinions. I said that there are those who simpathise with the psychological state that is known as paedophilia. Not all paedophiles will simpathise and not all simpathisers will be paedophiles. So, logically, there could exist a group of people who are not paedophiles, but who regard paedophilia as a psychological disorder rather than criminal evil.

Secondly, the comparison I was making was between a real-life person giving a public opinion that offended societal sensibilities versus an online entity giving a public opinion that offended societal sensibilities and how each respective person would be treated by those charged with protecting those sensibilities. I just illustrated it with something I thought might add a bit of colour to our discourse rather than blandly using the example of anti-life/anti-choice that was the subject-matter of the 'opinion' for which you were banned.

Anyway, this discussion is ancillary to the intitial point you wanted to make which was that there is a difference between having an opinion people dont like and trolling.

To answer this point: having an opinion is valued and a cherished resource without which this site would not work. Expressing that opinion in certain ways can stimulate discussion and views can be exchanged between people whose views are in opposition or agreement.

Trolling is putting forward an opinion or other statement in the knowledge that doing so will result in disrupting the enjoyment of our resource by a significant number of people.

Personally, I think my response has been particularly comprehensive but I still have a niggling doubt that it will leave you as satisfied as I have intended.

To answer this point: having an opinion is valued and a cherished resource without which this site would not work. Expressing that opinion in certain ways can stimulate discussion and views can be exchanged between people whose views are in opposition or agreement.

Trolling is putting forward an opinion or other statement in the knowledge that doing so will result in disrupting the enjoyment of our resource by a significant number of people..

I appreciate your busy, but my point was that you took the side of the mod without knowing what the situation was.
    I had an opinion on abortion in that i was against it if people were taking the p1ss and not using it responsibly.
    Thats not very controversial. I didnt say it to disrupt anyones enjoyment, its my opinion though and i'm entitled to it.
    People were upset with other opinions in that thread that were way more controversial than mine but they didnt get banned.
    My opinion did stimulate discussion.

It wasnt trolling, thats just an excuse that Mods throw around boards.ie to ban people that are opinionated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You tried to drag a serious thread (yes, we do have them in AH. It's a general discussion forum and not just there for you to take the piss) off topic.
    I read about 15 posts by you and they were all crap about Sínead O'Connor and Madonna having abortions.
    It was completely irrelevant to the discussion.

When asked for evidence, you linked to blogs and such. You then goaded the people you were replying to by posting crap like "ha ha", "I told you so" and other childish comments.

As far as I'm concerned, you can take those comments back to bebo because they are not welcome in AH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement