Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you hold your ipod?

• 16-07-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I've rallied for a long time against ipods/mp3 players when running but lately have found that I've been thinking it would be a big help as I'm finding the longer runs lonely and difficult. Anyway, if you do use an ipod/mp3 player what do you use to hold it?

I've seen a few people where they have it strapped to their arm. I've got a nano pod so it's very light but not sure how to secure it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

I've had a similar one to this for the past year - does the job.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Neoprene-Sports-Armband-Black/dp/B000WKY2MK

This is for the older nano, the new nano is a lot smaller.

Long runs without music :eek:
    I know some people frown upon it but I would be lost without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Buy one of the arm-holder thingies! Tripped when running a couple of weeks ago; made bits of my nice new Creative Zen which I was holding at the time:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Whenever I use mine (which is rare) I rather boringly just stick it in my pocket...
    There is the advantage of easy access for when a rogue Bryan Adams song (:o) might shuffle it's way onto your playlist - you can skip it swiftly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭LambDave

I just make sure to buy shorts with zip pockets at the back.

iPhone fits in these and I make sure to place the headphones down my back because I found that the wires were annoying me on my runs when wrapped around my front and I ended up just taking them out and not listening to any music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Or you can buy a holder for the nano which you can then clip onto the waistband of your shorts. Never liked the arm thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Usually carry my Ipod in the zip pocket at the back of my shorts, I use the Radio/remote and run the cable arounf to my front and clip it on to the bottom of my top so I an easily skip unwanted songs.

MA070?wid=90&hei=80&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

I have used the Nike armband and found that on longer runs moisture built up in the ipod pouch and caused problems to the ipod and it stopped working and had to be dried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

I've got the i-pod classic, so it's not as easy to carry.
    I tried just holding it, but I felt like a bit of a muppet.
    I tried my pocket after that, but it just kept jumping out...it never broke though, pretty lucky.

guess it's just good old daydreaming for me :D

eliwallach wrote: »
    Whenever I use mine (which is rare) I rather boringly just stick it in my pocket...

yep, works best for me too. Just run the headphones down under your top, and you are set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got some Logitech Wireless Pulse headphones on iBood a while back. You put a bluetooth transmitter in the 3.5mm jack on your MP3 player (works with all of them, iPod, Zen etc.), put the headphones on your head and turn them both on. Stick your ipod in your pocket, or sock, or whatever.... The system is bluetooth (no wires) and its the most comfortable way for me to run. The only downside is 5-6 hours battery life, so if you run alot, you'll be charging pretty regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm not a jogger per say, I hate it, but have to do it too keep fit for other sports... I can't run without my IShuffle, light, cheap, gigs of memory... brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Lidl were selling tops last week with a pocket for your MP3 player and a handy loop for the ear phone cable - only €6.99, not sure if they have any left.
    I always (actually infrequently - plan my long run from August to Sat afternoon and listen to Five Live or today FM covering a Prem match) use the one that fits high on your arm and take the headphones out the neck of my top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I always (actually infrequently - plan my long run from August to Sat afternoon and listen to Five Live or today FM covering a Prem match).

I would love the radio option but reception coming and going is a real pain in the a$$. Maybe the reception is more steady in the Greater Dublin area.

PS well done on 1,000 mile thing :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cheers - I have my little Sony (lighter sized) for about 3 years, 2gb and strong FM signal and another Sony (matchbox size) radio with digital tuner for AM which has a signal booster and the headphones become the aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

I got one of these armband things for Mrs LeCheile and she loves it. Its a new Irish site that was being discussed on one of the Bix threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Nike arm band has me lasted for over a year and never fallen out. Just dont have it too tight or it will effect your arm movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Back pocket of my shorts/capris ftw. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I usually just put it in my shorts pocket.

However, in some of my shorts, the pockets are really big and the feel of the iPod Touch jumping around inside my pocket is so irritating I usually run without it. But one pair of shorts (Dunnes Stores :o) are really good and the iPod fits in perfectly - wouldn't even know it was there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Sort of on the same topic can anyone recommend good comfortable earphones? I've only run once with music (Cheap lidl crappy thing).. loved having something to listen to but found the earphones really uncomfortable and I couldn't get the damn thing to stay in my left ear.. think my ears are probably a bit odd..:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Race ready shorts are great for holding mp3 players. The pocket is at the front with velcro flap - kinda handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

littlebug wrote: »
    Sort of on the same topic can anyone recommend good comfortable earphones? I've only run once with music (Cheap lidl crappy thing).. loved having something to listen to but found the earphones really uncomfortable and I couldn't get the damn thing to stay in my left ear.. think my ears are probably a bit odd..:o
    I use the over the ear hanger type. Usully pick up a set in TKMax for around 15 euro. Sound quality would be decent (but not brilliant), but you can still hear the traffic, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Lidl were selling tops last week with a pocket for your MP3 player and a handy loop for the ear phone cable - only €6.99, not sure if they have any left.
    I always (actually infrequently - plan my long run from August to Sat afternoon and listen to Five Live or today FM covering a Prem match) use the one that fits high on your arm and take the headphones out the neck of my top.

Snap - but the reception on 5Live can be infuriating - usually I end up carrying my trusty iPod Classic in an armband (cheapo velcro one bought on net for a fiver but boy does it do the trick) and listen to the shuffle option, OR if I'm on the quieter roads around my area I might listen to some podcasts or talk radio.

Sometimes find with music that you don't "hear" all of the songs i.e. have come back from runs and reviewed tracks played and I find myself going "jaysus, I don't really remember that track being played" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks to everyone for their feed back, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

littlebug wrote: »

I keep buying these every few years:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=310155196477

You can find them in any Sony shop for around €16, or you can buy them from eBay for about half the price, as long as you don't mind waiting a week or two for delivery. I run every run with them and have never found them uncomfortable. They take a real beating as well - I can't believe how many long runs I've done in the rain, getting them completely soaked, and not having any problems with them. Even if they do eventually break, they're so inexpensive that you can just pick up another pair for cheap.

Back on topic, I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the 2nd generation iPod shuffle. I think it's perfect for running. The built-in clip is awesome - it clips onto the waist of your shorts, doesn't bounce around, and is super easy to skip forward and back. It's also so light that the headphones actually weigh more than the iPod. The battery has never died on me in over two years, and I don't need a screen while I'm out running - I just load it up with some favourite songs or a couple of podcasts and I'm good to go. I wouldn't recommend it as anyone's one and only iPod, but for athletics, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

lightening wrote: »
    I'm not a jogger per say, I hate it, but have to do it too keep fit for other sports... I can't run without my IShuffle, light, cheap, gigs of memory... brilliant.

Does the job for me too.
    Especially on the long runs, just be careful not to put too many fast dancy tunes on it or ur pace will be up and down... Altho u cud keep the fast songs till the end when u mite need them:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

nike do some of their running gear with the nike+ logo that have little pockets for an ipod (should fit most small mp3 players).
    I have one of the shorts but never used the pockets, I keep it in my hand or on a strap, I use the nike+ sensor so I like being able to check the screen to see my pace.
    I agree with the poster above who mentioned the moisture build up when using the arm strap, my ipod never went as far as not working but it does get a bit slow to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

Maybe it just me, but I found the armbands really annoying. What works best for me is a pair of tracksuit bottoms with pockets with zippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I couldnt agree more with you about the shuffle. Dead small and handy and survives all sorts of climate abuse. I often have interviews,podcasts, and sometimes audio books on mine as I sometimes get weary of only music om my long runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Ipod shuffle ftw.

Clips onto your shorts and doesn't way anything. cheap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kevinbirchall

The Ishuffle is fantastic for running even long distance. I just clipped my to my shorts and put the cable up my t-shirt. I'm now running with a classic which I have in the pocket of my water bottle carrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

pardon my ignorance but with an ipod shuffle, can you choose the tracks or is it always on shuffle?

Advertisement