Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contention Ratio

Options
  • 16-07-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

A quick question regarding contention ratios. If a provider offers, for example, packages of 3 Mbs and 7 Mbs, both with a contention ratio of 24:1, does this mean that if I opt for the 7 Mbs package, I will be sharing only with other subscribers on the same package? Or will the subscribers on the 3 Mbs package be lumped in as well?

And another related question, what defines a contention ratio area - is it just users in your immediate exchange area or can it be subscribers from anywhere on the same package as you?

I'm asking as with our exchange having finally been enabled, the various providers are going around signing up subscribers at the moment. I know that most people are going for the 1 Mbs or 3 Mbs offerings so I'm hoping that fewer subscribers on the higher 7 Mbs package will mean less chance of slow-down at peak times.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement