Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions, more out of interest really -

Options
  • 16-07-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there a reason why Threads are closed when no offence is included - is it just if it is felt by the mod that the discussion has run it's course? Does it save anything or improve site operations by closing it?

Also, on the Soccer club threads, is there not merit in closing a massive thread, then start a new one for the following season ? Again , does having a massive thread affect site capabilities ( ie would there not be a huge drain on memory resources, or am I way off ? ) - I am not technically minded, just curious how the site works...

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Depends on the size of the thread. No huge threads have been closed for technical reasons on boards.ie yet, usually it's done for the sake of tidiness or to keep some sort of order and navigability in particularly popular forums.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hi,

Is there a reason why Threads are closed when no offence is included - is it just if it is felt by the mod that the discussion has run it's course? Does it save anything or improve site operations by closing it?

Also, on the Soccer club threads, is there not merit in closing a massive thread, then start a new one for the following season ? Again , does having a massive thread affect site capabilities ( ie would there not be a huge drain on memory resources, or am I way off ? ) - I am not technically minded, just curious how the site works...

Thanks
    In terms of soccer forum the super threads (eg Liverpool, Man Utd discussion) are run by the (English :p) season for the sake of tidiness.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thanks

With regards to Soccer.

Usually, the club threads are started/closed on a season by season basis, however, at the moment, the soccer mods are holding a "review" of the forum, and there may be new rules. So the opening of new club threads for the 2009/10 season has been delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Thanks for the replies fellas, just being nosey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Indeed mirwillbeback,that very thought has crossed my horizon in the recent past also.
    In my case it`s the Politics forum and some varied topics alluding to Immigration,Asylum,Pamela Izevbekhai,Nigeria and Palestinian/Israeli relations.

My transgressions related to questioning the need to lock threads which had a high post rate whilst postings were still largely being made in good faith AND without undue rancour.

My position was that the modding was generally quite good with warnings and gentle whipping-in keeping an acceptable level of order.

I contrasted the modding of the African/Irish topic with the ever popular Palestinian/Israeli one.

The resaons given for thread locking the African topics were the repetitive and "circular" nature of the posts,which in fairness SOME were.
    However that same failing was equally apparent on the Middle East one with the usual polarization and involvement of US foreign policy as a side order.

Anyway,for making a somewhat cheeky comment on the Palestinian/Israeli thread I recieved a belt of the Modding Crozier which I acknowledge as fully justified in the strict editorial sense,as I had indeed transgressed the Rules :eek:

However it still leaves,for me,a rather bitter aftertaste of a "systemic" aversion to debate of certain topics whilst facilitating the more dynamic ones ?

Maybe I`m reading the entire thing assways and after all it`s not my pram so I cannot throw my toys out of it but whats the general feeling ??? :confused::confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Those thread you refer to just kept going round and round in circles, with the trenches being dug deeper and deeper on each rotation. Its doesn't make debate pleasant for anyone who's interested in rational discussion. It only serves a platform for those who have already made up their minds to dictate what they think is the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

turgon wrote: »
    Those thread you refer to just kept going round and round in circles, with the trenches being dug deeper and deeper on each rotation. Its doesn't make debate pleasant for anyone who's interested in rational discussion. It only serves a platform for those who have already made up their minds to dictate what they think is the solution.

Yeah I know what you mean :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement