Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys router just fell over. How to fix

Options
  • 16-07-2009 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Help, I can't find the manual or disk. Its a wrt54gs model. It was fine then without warning simply stopped feeding the signal through to my PC, I thought digiweb had dropped the ball at first. Any help would be appriciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CorballyHouse

Have you tried a reset?

On the front panel press the Orange "Cisco/Linksys" button (more like a label than a button). It will flash white for a while and then revert to Orange. Also try to reset using the "Reset" button on the back.

If this doesn't fix things of course power cycle the unit. I don't currently have access to a router right now but will check later from home to offer further advice if not resolved by then.

In the meantime try this link it might help:

http://technicallyeasy.net/2008/01/how-to-reset-linksys-wrt54g-wireless/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Have you tried picking it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mike65 wrote: »
    Help, I can't find the manual or disk. Its a wrt54gs model. It was fine then without warning simply stopped feeding the signal through to my PC, I thought digiweb had dropped the ball at first. Any help would be appriciated.

there should be a little "reset" turn it on and hold it for about 20 seconds, should set back to default.

you can download the manual online and the software from the linksys site.

but you shouldn't need either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reset didn't work, changing cables didn't (not that I was expecting to).

I'll have to find the CD and and do a full re-install I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mike65 wrote: »
    Reset didn't work, changing cables didn't (not that I was expecting to).

I'll have to find the CD and and do a full re-install I think.

the cd doesn't install anything on the router.

what is exactly the prob at the mo?

can the wireless card see the linksys?

if you go to it wired are you getting an ip address etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the lights will tell you a lot of what you need to know about how dead it is.

does the power light stay solidly lit after about 20-30 seconds of the router being powered on?

if you plug an ethernet cable from a pc into one of the network ports does it light up?

is it the regular linksys firmware, or do you have ddwrt or another 3rd party firmware installed on it?

if the wired network connection is working (i.e. lights on the pc network port and on the router) does it give you an IP address automatically? if not, have you tried setting one manually on your PC in the 192.168.1.x range (pick any number instead of x except 1, which should be the router)?

if that doesn't work, try 192.168.0.x instead and see if you can connect to it then. try pinging the router on 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 and if you get a response from it stick that IP address into your browser and if it asks you for a username and password it will be admin and admin in both boxes and you can take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi this tecky stuff is beyond me to a degree (I need a a hand to hold), you can see the numbers below just tell me which to change and I'll have a go.

The linksys lights are as follows when connected

Power on
    internet on
    wlan on
    ethernet on (cable light on at PC end)

Routerinternetinfo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

your DNS servers look wrong - the first one is for a mility communications company called Harris...?!

Here's the correct ones for Digiweb:
    http://www.digiweb.ie/support/wireless/troubleshoot2.4.asp

Advertisement