Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone moved from Cubase to Ableton?

Options
  • 16-07-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I was thought using Cubase so have always gravitated towards it but I'm eagre to try Ableton for production.

Has anyone moved from Cubase to Ableton and not looked back etc?

Anything regarding the two side by side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

shakenbake wrote: »
    I was thought using Cubase so have always gravitated towards it but I'm eagre to try Ableton for production.

Has anyone moved from Cubase to Ableton and not looked back etc?

Anything regarding the two side by side?

I used Cubase for a while.. couldnt get my head around it.

Then moved to Live 6 - Thought it was the business.

After about 8months I realised what it couldnt do and more importantly, what I actually needed from a DAW.

Live just seemed too obtuse *

Sold it.. and got Logic 8 - best move ever..

If I analyse it.. It was all part of the learning curve.

I just wasn't ready to progress when I had Cubase.

Sure..If I hadn't bought a Mac, then I couldn't have got Logic, but I'd still have required a "grown-up" DAW nonetheless after Live.

Obviously Cubase is far more DAW-y than Live. Live is much more a game of 2 halves, and as a result is not all things to all men.

Depends what you need.

I'd say I could pick Cubase back up now & we'd be compatible.

If I was still PC, I think I'd be using Cubase & be happy with it.

*Ableton Fan's - Forgive me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

ICN wrote: »
    After about 8months I realised what it couldnt do and more importantly, what I actually needed from a DAW.

What did you find ableton was lacking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

couldnt hack ableton for production

tbh i find it a horrible piece of kit for that side of things

decent sketchpad and for playing with audio, but my brain would melt out my ears trying to use that interface for hours on end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Stab*City wrote: »
    What did you find ableton was lacking?

I had Live 6.

No Mixer & didnt like the way the plugins were hidden behind a tab. This sounds mad.. but being able to see my plugins vertically makes more sense.

Needed an EQ with realtime analyser.

Side-Chain Compressor (rather that having to do lots of routing etc..)

Screen was too cluttered.

Sound was not as good as I was looking for. Wasnt ever happy with it.

Midi always seemed a little off for some reason as well..

I really liked the Audio side of it.. was using it for DJ'ing a bit at parties and that.. Lots of Fun.

But I really just got totally carried away with how brilliant it was for that. Thought I could carry that back to the production side of things. But found it difficult to convince myself when I actually started trying to use it.

Anyway.. Have Live Lite 7 now. Free with my Soundcard. Does everything I need :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ICN wrote: »
    I really liked the Audio side of it.. was using it for DJ'ing a bit at parties and that.. Lots of Fun.

Anyway.. Have Live Lite 7 now. Free with my Soundcard. Does everything I need :pac:

pretty much my exact view on it

ive used the cracked versions etc, but ive got the lite version now on both my pc and mac and theres really nothing in it at all that would inspire me to buy the thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Luke Creed

Helix wrote: »
    couldnt hack ableton for production

tbh i find it a horrible piece of kit for that side of things

decent sketchpad and for playing with audio, but my brain would melt out my ears trying to use that interface for hours on end

I find Ableton 7 very easy to work with, have produced all of my released material on it with a small bit of logic. i started on cubase, i am not a fan it have since used it and still find it to be awkward for some reason.

I do think the sound engine could be a small bit better but i work around it by re bouncing my tracks after tweaking eq/fx etc. I enjoy using logic also but i cannot seem to get the results until i import loops from my logic projects into ableton. I think ableton is 10/10 once you learn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

i first started using ableton and absolutely loved it.it made sense to me from the begining and coupled with a very active forum where i asked questions i got up to speed with it fairly fast.

i was then convinced to try logic and "i" instantly saw the difference and soon realised what ableton was lacking(version 6)
    it definitely was tougher to learn logic(id imagine cubase would be the same) but it was well worth it.

since the move to logic i cant stand the look of ableton,they need to change the look of it imo.

on a side note i dont really undertsand how people use multiple daws.id prefer just to use one to get everything done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

I use live7 and cubase sx3, they're both great at certain tasks,
    the time streching in live is great but sometimes too nice so i'll use cubase to stretch an piece of audio as an effect, i find song arrangement in live a chore but in cubase its easy, but cubase can be slow to work with while live is lighning fast. And the can be rewired with live as a slave to cubase if you want to use the up sides of both apps, this does eat up computer power though, so i prefer to bounce and import.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CyanRain

I use Ableton Live 8, and right now, it meets all my demands. I tried out Cubase, but just couldn't get used to it. The session view in Ableton might not suit you, but does suit me.

Obviously, there is some features that Live could do with, most of which have been mentioned already. The sound isn't the best, and sometimes the screen gets cluttered and it is hard to use. But in most part, Abelton is perfect for me.

However, it is more directed towards electronic music production, while Cubase would be a more all-round solution. When trying to make decent pop songs on Live, I do sometimes come up short.

Advertisement