Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameservers.ie - Looking for testers!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Consider adding support for a few of the more popular source mods. I'm guessing it would be easy because you already have the source code on the servers. Perhaps Neotokyo would be a good recommendation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Gameservers.ie: Paul

I already have a TF2 application in, but I'd much prefer INS. Do you wanna keep the application and just change the game when you create the server, or should I re-apply?

Send in a ticket from the CP asking for a change!
    giggsy664 wrote: »
    Consider adding support for a few of the more popular source mods. I'm guessing it would be easy because you already have the source code on the servers. Perhaps Neotokyo would be a good recommendation?

Any Steam based Source mods (like Insurgency) are fairly easy for us to integrate since most of the legwork is already complete. Being pedantic, we don't have any source code on our servers - but all game binaries are stored in a central location and only files required for installation are pushed to worker nodes in order to run. This would make installing a mod like Neotokyo non-trivial, but not impossible. Perhaps a "source base" gametype with a bunch of additional mods as options you can switch between? Anyways, as always, it's all about the demand... if enough people want it, we'll provide it.

Regards,
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Damn o2. Over the years I've stuck with an @o2.ie email address, but you can't disable their spamblocker. Your confirmation has been sitting on their mailserver since lastnight. Along with a very important shipping notice.

I have it now though:) Was on a mates test server for CSS. We were on 7 and 12ms at first IIRC, but when we added 11 bots a side, we dropped to high 30s. Still very good though. I'll be interested to see how TF2 holds up, being on the EP1 engine. Gotta get me some players now.

Thanks lads,
    Lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I R jealous of your ping! I really should downgrade this joke of a connection...
    Although the server I have gives me the best ping i've ever got to any server in L4D on my current connection.

We were on 7 and 12ms at first IIRC, but when we added 11 bots a side, we dropped to high 30s. Still very good though.

Some interesting stats there alright. Were you running the bots from both your home connections? How fast is your home broadband? I ask because the slowdown might be due to the contention on your own line due to the bots, as apposed to lag introduced on the server side - definitely not network lag and most probably not CPU/hardware lag.
    I'll be interested to see how TF2 holds up, being on the EP1 engine.
    I would be shocked if you see anything less than what you saw above (your 7/12ms). I don't see processing power being an issue.

Regards,
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm on 3Mb, Weeder is on a 7. The machine I'm using right now is very dated, and could be part of the problem.

Tried the TF2 server there. Everything works fine. Ping bouncing from 17-24ms. That was one player, but hopefully similar with a full server.

Will get another mate on a proper rig, also 3Mb and in D14 to join and see what he gets.

Thanks again lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fmjdrdeath

Hi there, we were actually quite excited to have you test out the platform - there is nobody else testing out CoD4. However, it seemed your store submission had no server associated with it, so showed up in our billing/provision system as a purchase with no packages associated. Somebody should have sent you an email explaining this hiccup.

If you wouldn't mind going through the process again we can set you up ASAP.

Good question, I don't think it was addressed directly before. This is a pure test account, no tricking people into paying after the month is up etc. No obligation beyond the 1 month free testing.

Regards,
    Paul

Hi Paul,

More than happy to go through the submission process again and good to hear that you are also looking forward to seeing how your COD4 servers will be running with our configuration.

And I am also very pleased to hear that there are no further obligations after the 1 month trial! :)

One question remains, is there full FTP access? Can we upload mods, maps etc.? This would also be interesting for you guys I guess as many gamers are into using specific mods! :)

I will go and re-order the free package and post here once completed.

Cheers

-=FMJ=-Dr.Death

[EDIT]

Order was submitted again - please check if you received it! :)

1274a65835507bc3.jpg

Cheers

-=FMJ=-Dr.Death

fmjdrdeath wrote: »
    One question remains, is there full FTP access? Can we upload mods, maps etc.? This would also be interesting for you guys I guess as many gamers are into using specific mods!

Yup, there is full FTP access.

Regards,
    Paul

Yup, there is full FTP access.

Regards,
    Paul

WooT

Great stuff - if you can get the order pushed through I would sit down tonight and set-up the COD4 server - would you like feedback via the forum here?

-=FMJ=-Dr.Death

would you like feedback via the forum here?

Please, all feedback/issues/questions/qualms/greetings/thanks etc. via the ticketing system accessible via your control panel. We don't epxect everything to work properly until it's being tested and we'd prefer that kind of feedback directly to the dev/network team until we are happy to go "live" (so it can be fixed/rectified!)

The rule of thumb, anything you guys feel is a problem or should be addressed that is specific to your CP or your gameserver, create a ticket.

Thanks!

Paul

• Advertisement

Please, all feedback/issues/questions/qualms/greetings/thanks etc. via the ticketing system accessible via your control panel. We don't epxect everything to work properly until it's being tested and we'd prefer that kind of feedback directly to the dev/network team until we are happy to go "live" (so it can be fixed/rectified!)

The rule of thumb, anything you guys feel is a problem or should be addressed that is specific to your CP or your gameserver, create a ticket.

Thanks!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your swift reply - will be bugging your dev team with the bugs we encounter - be prepared - I am half German! :P

Cheers

-=FMJ=-Dr.Death

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your swift reply - will be bugging your dev team with the bugs we encounter - be prepared - I am half German! :P

Exactly what we're after!

Thanks,
    Paul

Exactly what we're after!

Thanks,
    Paul

Just received the order confirmation - thanks for that - as soon as I get back from work tonight I will set it up and you or any of your team are more than welcome to play a couple of rounds on it! :)

Stay tuned for feedback! :)

Cheers

-=FMJ=-Dr.Death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I'm sorry - I did not mean to offend anyone at my previous comment - Just stating that it would be a good idea if you learn some basic stuff before you jump right ahead and get a server :)

Anyways - As off now, I am still setting up my e-frag (Actually, I set it up days ago - Been looking for a hosting company to host PsychoStats, SourceBans, Mapvote etc) and just found one there. When my e-frag (1 month) expires, I will seriously consider moving over to you. As off now, you are €6 more than e-frag, and about the same as some major US companys, which is very impressive. If you could even move it to a nearer €3, I would, without a doubt switch to you in a flash, and let other major TF2 players I know on other TF2 dedicated forums know of your service :)

Thanks.

Just received the order confirmation - thanks for that - as soon as I get back from work tonight I will set it up and you or any of your team are more than welcome to play a couple of rounds on it! :)
    Ha, thanks for the invite! The reason we were so pleased that you would be willing to test is that none of us play any CoD (or BF) games. We might have to see about having some kind of comp on a game we do play (and dominate at!)
    CutzEr wrote: »
    Anyways - As off now, I am still setting up my e-frag (Actually, I set it up days ago - Been looking for a hosting company to host PsychoStats, SourceBans, Mapvote etc) and just found one there. When my e-frag (1 month) expires, I will seriously consider moving over to you. As off now, you are €6 more than e-frag, and about the same as some major US companys, which is very impressive. If you could even move it to a nearer €3, I would, without a doubt switch to you in a flash, and let other major TF2 players I know on other TF2 dedicated forums know of your service :)

Well that's good to know. Again, prices are not final. We'll hopefully be able to scrape a few cents off each slot! I just hope people appreciate that INEX peered gameservers are going to be so much faster than hosts over the water and might be more understanding if it comes down to a few cents in the difference!

Regards,
    Paul

Ha, thanks for the invite! The reason we were so pleased that you would be willing to test is that none of us play any CoD (or BF) games. We might have to see about having some kind of comp on a game we do play (and dominate at!)

Regards,
    Paul

Let me know and I see what I can get sorted out - one of our members is just running a L4D test server on your services so that may be an option!? ;)

FYI: Ping test for the COD4 server from the UK shows a promissing 50 - not bad but lower would be better! ;)

Cheers

-=FMJ=-Dr.Death

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I find the Web based console a little slow, but its web based after all!
    I have a L4D server running on it. FTP transfers are fast, but multiple transfers at once seem to slow it down somewhat queue-wise, not speed wise! (filezilla).
    hard-drive thrashing trying to serve multiple threads.

po0k wrote: »
    hard-drive thrashing trying to serve multiple threads.

maybe summin interesting for the quote you put in your post - I am using coreftplite (which is free and as good as smartftp) and I am having no issue ftp-wise - looks really good!

the web interface could be made to look a little smarter! ;)

FYI: Ping test for the COD4 server from the UK shows a promissing 50 - not bad but lower would be better! ;)
    There's not much we can do to improve pings from outside of Ireland, it very much depends on who your broadband provider uses for it's upstream links (Our non INEX upstreams are with Tiscali and Cogent). We're mostly focused on Irish clients as there is nobody else providing a similar service - we cannot compete with British providers in terms of latency/ping.
    maybe summin interesting for the quote you put in your post - I am using coreftplite (which is free and as good as smartftp) and I am having no issue ftp-wise - looks really good!
    Great!
    the web interface could be made to look a little smarter! ;)
    This is the absolute last thing on our minds, but we take your criticism!

Regards,
    Paul

Hi Paul,

Would appreciate somebody looking at the ticket I raised via the dashboard on the CP! :)

thx

• Advertisement

Hi Paul,

Would appreciate somebody looking at the ticket I raised via the dashboard on the CP! :)

thx

It's already been replied to.

Please give (at the very least!) 15-20 minutes to hear a response via the ticketing system.

Regards,
    Paul

It's already been replied to.

Please give (at the very least!) 15-20 minutes to hear a response via the ticketing system.

Regards,
    Paul

thanks am in contact with the support staff now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shatter05

Also linked with fmj-squad we currently have the left4dead and cod4 server. It seems most if not all people on NTL cable in IRELAND are not going as expected direct to your servers. This results, in not good pings 60 upwards. really annoying and dead end at ntl side to be resolved.

Might want to have a list on home page of isp and reliability to service. Maybe info to pass to there isp if they have such issues.

Left4dead you can upload the maps but need to have them on the pc also, or setup server address so maps can be downloaded. The control panel seems okay would like to see more info like player's ping results displayed. Like the hlsw admin tool to link to vac server for cheaters and have global id info on the cp panel.

not bad, pity cant get what I need but that's mostly down to our isp.

Will try some l4d mods and see how that works with current setup, not sure about the ticket system to load the mods but that's mostly down to way it is configured at your end and the linux box files.

keep up the good work. Also suggest having option for feedback in the ticket system.

regards
    FMJ-shatter

shatter05 wrote: »
    Also linked with fmj-squad we currently have the left4dead and cod4 server. It seems most if not all people on NTL cable in IRELAND are not going as expected direct to your servers. This results, in not good pings 60 upwards. really annoying and dead end at ntl side to be resolved.

Might want to have a list on home page of isp and reliability to service. Maybe info to pass to there isp if they have such issues.
    Yeah, was going to wait a bit longer in order to gather feedback before making any posts with regard to ISP latency. Suffice to say, so far it seems that all Irish ISPs tested are getting pretty great pings except for, as you've mentioned, NTL. This seems to be purely down to NTL's - UPC on the INEX peering matrix - peering (or lack thereof!) with other Irish ISPs. From the information gathered so far, it seems that all traffic coming from an NTL broadband/cable connection, destined to the gameservers.ie(/and most other irish) networks first needs to travel to the UK and then back to Ireland again via a Cogent uplink. This round trip takes quite a while with most latency gathered around the London area. We're not certain yet if this is for all Irish NTL customers (sample size is too small) but it seems likely.

Further posts will be made on this when more information has been gathered. If anyone is with NTL cable/broadband we'd really appreciate a paste from the output of a traceroute to the following IP - 217.78.4.82. Sending this via a boards IM would probably be the best bet and keep clutter in this thread to a minimum.
    Left4dead you can upload the maps but need to have them on the pc also, or setup server address so maps can be downloaded.
    Isn't this the way with any server? Or are you referring to a http specific link for map downloads?
    The control panel seems okay would like to see more info like player's ping results displayed. Like the hlsw admin tool to link to vac server for cheaters and have global id info on the cp panel.
    This kind of thing should definitely be used as a ticket so our devs can have a crack implementing features you feel would be a good addition. Bear in mind that any web based control panel isn't going to have the featurelist nor the response time of a tool like HLSW (which is pretty great, by the way!)
    not bad, pity cant get what I need but that's mostly down to our isp.
    If what you need is low latency/pings then alas, it would seem to be mostly, if not completely, down to your ISP.
    Will try some l4d mods and see how that works with current setup, not sure about the ticket system to load the mods but that's mostly down to way it is configured at your end and the linux box files.
    Not sure what you mean at all here! Obvoiusly if you have any issues with installing mods, please open a ticket and we'll resolve it for you ASAP. So far there has been some great feedback in this regard (especially from your fellow fmj members) and from what i understand issues/suggestions with regards custom mods/command flags etc. are being addressed and mostly resolved at this stage.
    keep up the good work. Also suggest having option for feedback in the ticket system.
    Good idea! I'll get this sorted, but only if you promise to use it :)

Regards,
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shatter05

Quote:
    Left4dead you can upload the maps but need to have them on the pc also, or setup server address so maps can be downloaded.
    Isn't this the way with any server? Or are you referring to a http specific link for map downloads?

Regards,
    Paul[/QUOTE]

That was just info for other users as I seen a few people using left4dead with issue but no real reply to why doesn't work. As for the mod yes hopefully there is something we can do for loading our own mod and setting up specific options. Instead of opening a ticket so ye can load the info to the server first. Saving time and allowing tweaking to any glitches found, which happens from time to time.

Again keep up the good work.

regards
    shatter

shatter05 wrote: »
    That was just info for other users as I seen a few people using left4dead with issue but no real reply to why doesn't work.
    Ah ha, I see. I don't believe we have anyone with outstanding issues with regards left4dead servers?
    As for the mod yes hopefully there is something we can do for loading our own mod and setting up specific options. Instead of opening a ticket so ye can load the info to the server first. Saving time and allowing tweaking to any glitches found, which happens from time to time.
    I think I understand. Thanks to your fellow clanmember we have implemented a "Game Type" dropdown that can be associated with any mods people may care. This will let people change between mods/standard versions of games without the need to open a ticket. Would something like this satisfy your concerns?
    Again keep up the good work.
    Thank you kindly!

Regards,
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Ah ha, I see. I don't believe we have anyone with outstanding issues with regards left4dead servers?
    It works grand for me. Using 1 or two custom maps, I got that reserved spectator slot working also. :) Thanks. Running Sourcemod and metamod ans all is well.
    I think I understand. Thanks to your fellow clanmember we have implemented a "Game Type" dropdown that can be associated with any mods people may care. This will let people change between mods/standard versions of games without the need to open a ticket. Would something like this satisfy your concerns?

With regard to mods, could the server admin not just login to FTP themselves and mess with the files for vanilla/non vanilla games?

Or am I just stupid this hour of the morning?

It works grand for me. Using 1 or two custom maps, I got that reserved spectator slot working also. :) Thanks. Running Sourcemod and metamod ans all is well.
    Yay! Good stuff.
    With regard to mods, could the server admin not just login to FTP themselves and mess with the files for vanilla/non vanilla games?

Or am I just stupid this hour of the morning?
    Nope, not stupid :) This is apparently how l4d mods work (I've never used them before) - i.e. you don't need to modify any start options in order to load your mods. This is not the case however for, let's say, call of duty mods.

Regards,
    Paul

So far there has been some great feedback in this regard (especially from your fellow fmj members) and from what i understand issues/suggestions with regards custom mods/command flags etc. are being addressed and mostly resolved at this stage.

Good idea! I'll get this sorted, but only if you promise to use it :)

Regards,
    Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for that feedback - it's also a little bit of fun helping you guys understand the set-up of a COD4 server but then again we still have quite a bit to go - hope the guys are looking into my last message as it may help them getting to the root cause of all the problems!

Also appreciate your eargerness and efforts to learn and to understand the 101 of setting up gameservers - future customers can only profit from this! :)

keeping fingers crossed that your team will keep that kind of motivation once things are up and running! :)

death

• Advertisement

Hi Paul,

thanks for that feedback - it's also a little bit of fun helping you guys understand the set-up of a COD4 server but then again we still have quite a bit to go - hope the guys are looking into my last message as it may help them getting to the root cause of all the problems!

Alas, it seems that while you may have experience in setting up and administering your own specific server, after reading your last response I think you might be missing out on some key issues with both the automated nature of the deployment, the fact servervars specified on the CLI are not order dependent and that overwrites need to made on user specified parameters (otherwise the whole slot limited nature of a "paid for gameserver" become meaningless!). Would I be also right in guessing that you've had your CoD4 server hosted on a windows platform in the past? It seems you're missing some key linux concepts with regards to paths/case sensitivity etc.

Saying this, someone should respond to your ticket quite soon and address the issues you raised.

I think the best bet at this stage might be to use your initial ticket as a launching point and for us to source a copy of CoD4 and install/configure the system from scratch. We may also looking at installing and configuring the mods you suggested as part of a server's deployment and allow configs to be edited directly via the CP (with no fileupload required on the users part).

Obviously this is a slightly larger undertaking then your initial mod based suggestion, but since this system will be of use to other (perhaps more popular? There are only 2 CoD signups so far!) gameserver setups, we feel it's worth the time required of it. Here's hoping we'll be able to get back to you with a suitable solution ASAP! (Although I think ARMA2 support might need to take precedence until we have some kind of staging environment in place!)
    Also appreciate your eargerness and efforts to learn and to understand the 101 of setting up gameservers - future customers can only profit from this! smile.gif

keeping fingers crossed that your team will keep that kind of motivation once things are up and running! smile.gif
    Haha, thanks very much! But I think we might be slightly beyond the "101" stage of gameserver setup at this stage - I hope people realise what an undertaking this entire system was and the fact so many servers were set up and supported from the off. Please understand that since none of us have played CoD before, it might take us a while to get things exactly how you like them... but we will!

Regards,
    Paul

Advertisement