Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameservers.ie - Looking for testers!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fmjdrdeath

Alas, it seems that while you may have experience in setting up and administering your own specific server, after reading your last response I think you might be missing out on some key issues with both the automated nature of the deployment, the fact servervars specified on the CLI are not order dependent and that overwrites need to made on user specified parameters (otherwise the whole slot limited nature of a "paid for gameserver" become meaningless!). Would I be also right in guessing that you've had your CoD4 server hosted on a windows platform in the past? It seems you're missing some key linux concepts with regards to paths/case sensitivity etc.

Saying this, someone should respond to your ticket quite soon and address the issues you raised.

I think the best bet at this stage might be to use your initial ticket as a launching point and for us to source a copy of CoD4 and install/configure the system from scratch. We may also looking at installing and configuring the mods you suggested as part of a server's deployment and allow configs to be edited directly via the CP (with no fileupload required on the users part).

Obviously this is a slightly larger undertaking then your initial mod based suggestion, but since this system will be of use to other (perhaps more popular? There are only 2 CoD signups so far!) gameserver setups, we feel it's worth the time required of it. Here's hoping we'll be able to get back to you with a suitable solution ASAP! (Although I think ARMA2 support might need to take precedence until we have some kind of staging environment in place!)

Haha, thanks very much! But I think we might be slightly beyond the "101" stage of gameserver setup at this stage - I hope people realise what an undertaking this entire system was and the fact so many servers were set up and supported from the off. Please understand that since none of us have played CoD before, it might take us a while to get things exactly how you like them... but we will!

Regards,
    Paul

Hi Paul,

You are quite right that I am not familiar with Linux servers and we indeed used Windows based servers so far - nonetheless some points I have raised in the support ticket are valid, e.g. setting the gametype to S&D preventing the server from accessing the config files and therefore the gametypes saved in there. Also other settings such as activating Punkbuster through the command line (with is not installed on the server by you) makes no sense. Also it has not been possible by your team to get the server set-up as a "normal" ranked server so far so it is of no value to us at all - using mods is just an addition but most important as it's used by 95% of the COD gaming community is having a working ranked server out there - so that should be your first goal to achieve.

The overwrites you are mentioning are only understandable when taking the slot count into consideration - yes I can understand that you want to prevent customers from making more slots available than they are paying for but for other overwrites like gametype etc. it makes no sense at all - this should be solely up to the server admin because not having this option to set the gametype as one wishes makes using your services absolutely meaningless! ;)

As COD4 & 5 are the most played online games out there currently I am quite astonished that you are evaluating ARMA2 as more important but that of course is based on the placed orders through your system - maybe when you are able to provide a working COD server you will see an increase in orders for this game as well. Basically your prices are really good and can compete with some of the known providers so it would be sad not having you as an alterantive out there.

Furthermore it would be great to get some feedback on my last post on the support ticket (as you mentioned) but so far that has not happened.

Have a good day

death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Gameservers.ie: Paul

fmjdrdeath wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

You are quite right that I am not familiar with Linux servers and we indeed used Windows based servers so far - nonetheless some points I have raised in the support ticket are valid, e.g. setting the gametype to S&D preventing the server from accessing the config files and therefore the gametypes saved in there. Also other settings such as activating Punkbuster through the command line (with is not installed on the server by you) makes no sense. Also it has not been possible by your team to get the server set-up as a "normal" ranked server so far so it is of no value to us at all - using mods is just an addition but most important as it's used by 95% of the COD gaming community is having a working ranked server out there - so that should be your first goal to achieve.
    Yup, no question. You've been a great help with laying out what is required. I don't think we made any claims about any game being ready to go live! We needed people who used/played each game to provide feedback and you have done that admirably.
    The overwrites you are mentioning are only understandable when taking the slot count into consideration - yes I can understand that you want to prevent customers from making more slots available than they are paying for but for other overwrites like gametype etc. it makes no sense at all - this should be solely up to the server admin because not having this option to set the gametype as one wishes makes using your services absolutely meaningless! ;)
    Yes, we agree. That is why we've been rewriting portions of the CP to allow the admin to set these features. Please wait until the ticket is closed to re-iterate faults! We listen and hear you, honest!
    As COD4 & 5 are the most played online games out there currently I am quite astonished that you are evaluating ARMA2 as more important but that of course is based on the placed orders through your system - maybe when you are able to provide a working COD server you will see an increase in orders for this game as well. Basically your prices are really good and can compete with some of the known providers so it would be sad not having you as an alterantive out there.
    We have to go purely on feedback from our potential client base. The majority of people want ARMA2. Only 2 people have CoD servers (and one of them, not being in the country, has made it clear they are not a potential client!). We want to support everything for everyone, but this is going to take time and priorities need to be made.
    Furthermore it would be great to get some feedback on my last post on the support ticket (as you mentioned) but so far that has not happened.
    Absolutely, our devs are just trying to get ARMA2 finalised since I let slip we'd try have initial support before the end of the week. Someone should hopfully get back to you before the end of the day.

Regards,
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shatter05

Can I add more game server at current stage, want to try team fortress 2 server if its available. But I want to check first instead of creating another account?

Thanks for all the help, hope all the cp improvements are present for launch, when is launch day expected?

regards
    shatter

shatter05 wrote: »
    Can I add more game server at current stage, want to try team fortress 2 server if its available. But I want to check first instead of creating another account?
    Send a ticket through requesting the server. If the slots are available, there should be no issue in adding
    Thanks for all the help, hope all the cp improvements are present for launch, when is launch day expected?
    The end of the "Beta test month" and launch date will not be set until we're happy we can provide a service worth paying for (this might take more then the initial "month" budgeted for!)

General Updates:
    ARMA2 is coming along, although not quite ready for testing. We're hoping to let people join and play in a day or two. Thanks Pog for being our "eyes on the inside" with regards server setup.

Mumble voice chat support has now been added to the CP. I'll put a post up here when we're ready to look for tester types.

There has been a lot of CoD work done on the CP - thanks to fmjdrdeath (who has since parted :( ). CoD4 is nearly at a stage where hardcore kidz will get benifit from it - lots of mods supported without client upload etc. CoD5 is nearly on the cards for support too (no idea how many people care about this though!)

A lot of research put into 500 and 1000fps server support... We're kinda divided about that in house though. Definitely a long and rambling post about this after we get the above sorted.

A bit thanks to everyone who has signed up and is playing.

Regards,
    Paul

Thanks for all the help and quick replies, great to see Irish game servers up and running, while they are present in the past this is the best I have seen from this neck of the woods to-date.

Sorry to hear death left but he is testing several servers at present and trying to find the best suited for our long running cod servers, mods, control and tools.

I myself am looking for some little gem games like left4dead teamfortress 2 and most games that mostly involve a fps with achievements and rank.

Keep up the good work big thanks to all.

regards
    shatter.

p.s arma 2 wouldn't be to worried about bit of a buggy game anyway but that's just my opinion. Much better games on the way but choice is always nice.

• Advertisement

shatter05 wrote: »
    p.s arma 2 wouldn't be to worried about bit of a buggy game anyway but that's just my opinion. Much better games on the way but choice is always nice.

The kids want arma2, so that's what they get... even if it is a PITA dedicated server :(

-Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Could the people who got a server post info on it like ip/game type so we could join !

Any news on the BF2 ??

Chorcai wrote: »
    Any news on the BF2 ??

BF2 - Battlefield 2? That's already supported (no test servers taken though)

Hi guys,

We have a test 64 slot ArmA2 server up and waiting for testing. You can join here:

217.78.4.90:2302

CP integration is still a work in progress, should be another couple of days before we can offer trial accounts.

Regards,
    -Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hi guys,

We have a test 64 slot ArmA2 server up and waiting for testing. You can join here:

217.78.4.90:2302

CP integration is still a work in progress, should be another couple of days before we can offer trial accounts.

Regards,
    -Paul

I couldn't connect through ip but if You filter the word "gameservers" You'll find it

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Murmur (Mumble voice server) has been partially integrated with the CP. Anyone with a server already in testing feel like giving this a whirl? If so, just send open a ticket from your CP and request murmur to be added to your account.

Regards,
    Paul

Numbers have been low for testing, here is ip for
    Left 4 dead
    217.78.4.89:27017

Team fortress 2
    217.78.4.89:27019

If any one interested in checking out the pings and stuff.

regards
    shatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Are you Windows or Unix based, and what hardware do they run on?

CutzEr wrote: »
    Are you Windows or Unix based, and what hardware do they run on?

We have windows and linux based game nodes. Physically, running on dual quad core xeons, ~8gigs of ram each, bonded NICs with hardware raid storage.

-Paul

We have windows and linux based game nodes. Physically, running on dual quad core xeons, ~8gigs of ram each, bonded NICs with hardware raid storage.

-Paul
    I just had a look at your Team Fortress 2 package, and only Linux is available. Is that only temporary or will Windows be available when the actual "selling" of slots goes live?

Sorry for the delay in response! I didn't seem to get an alert on new post.
    CutzEr wrote: »
    I just had a look at your Team Fortress 2 package, and only Linux is available. Is that only temporary or will Windows be available when the actual "selling" of slots goes live?

Due to the efficiency and ease of administration/automation (along with the inherent licensing costs associated with MS products!) of certain game types (specifically all Steam based games) we were initially going to support as many games as possible on the linux platform only. Games with bad/no support under linux (ArmA2 and CoD5 spring to mind) will be supported on the windows nodes.

Would this kind of arrangement be a show stopper for some people? Since folk would only be interfacing with the OS/filesystem associated with a particular gameservers via FTP, and with the directory structures of each game being fairly similar if not identical on windows/linux, we honestly didn't see the choice of linux vs. windows to be an issue for people.

Regards,
    Paul

TF2 and some similiar games (CS:S) are unstable at certain mods.. For example: Prophunt which is a new but very very popular mod, I think that if you offered Windows game servers you would get more buisness from people looking to invest in a game server for this purpose.

The same goes for new games.. For example Garry's Mod.. There are only windows binaries available, and I have personally seen lots of people wanting to buy these servers from some UK providers, but they only offer Linux, driving away the customers. There is where I think you could pick them up, and sell more servers.

If you were to offer Windows servers, I believe it would put you at a huge advantage over other companies, as even the major ones (e-frag, gameservers.com) dont offer Linux, and it is difficult for people to find a provider that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Perhaps you could also host Ventrillo or Teamspeak servers? I know its called gameservers but the 2 tend to go hand in hand and most other places provide these services plus a discount when you have a server with them.

Hawke wrote: »
    Perhaps you could also host Ventrillo or Teamspeak servers? I know its called gameservers but the 2 tend to go hand in hand and most other places provide these services plus a discount when you have a server with them.
    This was already discussed earlier in the thread, please just look through the whole page and you will see the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

That ARMA server has been a blast so far. Been on it loads now (not as much as max though).
    In regards to the Mumble server though. Is it possible to give someone admin to that so we can boot people just in case? We were discussing the downsides of not having an admin last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone actually buy a server from gameservers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Sorry for the delay in response! I didn't seem to get an alert on new post.

Due to the efficiency and ease of administration/automation (along with the inherent licensing costs associated with MS products!) of certain game types (specifically all Steam based games) we were initially going to support as many games as possible on the linux platform only. Games with bad/no support under linux (ArmA2 and CoD5 spring to mind) will be supported on the windows nodes.

Would this kind of arrangement be a show stopper for some people? Since folk would only be interfacing with the OS/filesystem associated with a particular gameservers via FTP, and with the directory structures of each game being fairly similar if not identical on windows/linux, we honestly didn't see the choice of linux vs. windows to be an issue for people.

Regards,
    Paul

Think you'd be as well off to make it clear that it is Linux hosted but no knowledge is required on the site and that will make sure it doesn't scare anyone away.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone actually buy a server from gameservers?
    Don't even know if it's still running - Thread has been dead the last 2 months and the site hasn't been touched..

Advertisement