Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does a layman tell the bhp of his car?

• 16-07-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Clearly I know diddly about cars as the following will demonstrate. I've got to get a quote on my car insurance and the insurer is asking me what bhp it is (sounds like it'll make a difference to the category it is in). The car is a 2000 Golf GTi 1.8. I can't see anything in the manual that gives the game away. Under the bonnet the engine says 20V Turbo.

Can anyone tell what bhp this translates to or how I find it out?

thanks

Richie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Claymation wrote: »
    Clearly I know diddly about cars as the following will demonstrate. I've got to get a quote on my car insurance and the insurer is asking me what bhp it is (sounds like it'll make a difference to the category it is in). The car is a 2000 Golf GTi 1.8. I can't see anything in the manual that gives the game away. Under the bonnet the engine says 20V Turbo.

Can anyone tell what bhp this translates to or how I find it out?

thanks

Richie

Does it have 5 gears or 6 gears? Most of the 5 gear ones were 150bhp, the 6 speed were 180bhp.

I'm sure there were exceptions to the above, but as a rule of thumb it should be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It'll also say (probably in KW) in the service book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

there should also be a sticker near the spare wheel well. It will give you power output in kw and then just google it to convert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Its the kind of thing I thought the insurance would be able to tell you, unless car was modified in some way.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance/groups/by-model.aspx?model=1031

If you lok at GTi in above link there is 3 different groups for 1.8
    GTI 10
    T GTI 14
    T GTI (ps) 16
    So they must be trying to figure out which one it is. Not really sure how to tell though, maybe try check some GTI forums I sure there is some dedicated ones if you google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

What EPM said - sticker in the boot with Kw rating. Convert this to bhp using google

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The BHP is listed on the RF101 cert of my Golf

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

EPM wrote: »
    there should also be a sticker near the spare wheel well. It will give you power output in kw and then just google it to convert
    While you're in there, take note of the engine code. It's handy to know if you're getting spares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

just search wikipedia if you don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Was the 180bhp Golf GTi available in 2000...I thought it came out later?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Claymation

Thanks to you all for helping me out with that. I got the kw from the sticker near the spare wheel and googled it to convert to bhp. Brilliant. Now all I need to do is get somebody to give me a more competitive insurance quote!

cheers

Richie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Nforce wrote: »
    Was the 180bhp Golf GTi available in 2000...I thought it came out later?:confused:

No it wasn't,i would be pretty sure that it is the 150bhp :)

The power output of every Golf in KW is listed at the back of the technical data section of the owners folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In case one is really unsure, an inquiry at the dealership with VIN in hand should sove the riddle ...not just for VW's but for any make

Advertisement