Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LeoB wrote: »
    Ennistymon:mad:

No - Manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Now Martron, you want a bag full of bills tomorrow? Leave LeoB he is just trying to give the climate we are in a little bit of laughter.

No bills, keep putting them where you are hiding them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LOL. Thanks lads. Brought a smile to my face on a bad day.

Ennistymon:mad:

Scientists have discovered a food that diminishes a woman's sex drive by
    90%..

It's called a Wedding Cake.

i better keep the girlfriend away from that cake so .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Man and woman driving down the road after having a row. They pass a farm full of Pigs and Mules, she says to him sarcastically, "Relations of yours? "Yep" he replies "My fcuking in-laws"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

A Swords man me. Does anyone remember the Forest rd. before Rivervalley? Or the Rathbeale Rd before Glassmore, Rathbeale Estate or before JC's when there was only a cottage behind the big hedge? The late Barney Lawless used to own a farm where Glen Ellan is now. Does anyone remember Pat and Sadie O Toole that owned the pub where the Lord Mayor's is now? The place has grown so big that it is losing or has lost it's identity as a town and has become just a suburb of Dublin. The only thing that divides Swords and Malahide now is the M1 motorway. There's nothing like a bit of nostalga.

What did Hitler used to say to all his men before they got into their tanks?
    Get into your tanks :D

Man and woman driving down the road after having a row. They pass a farm full of Pigs and Mules, she says to him sarcastically, "Relations of yours? "Yep" he replies "My fcuking in-laws"

laughed out loud at this. my kind of joke.

so how is everyone? been very quiet in here with all the scandals going on outside.

any plans for the weekend?

actually a frined of mine if coming over on saturday and he is taking his bike. looking for a nice cycle . i usually cycle to loughshinny harbour and back or out to baldongan or something. so we talking a range of about 15km. i could stretch to 20km if anyone has any suggests it would be much appreciated.

Martron yeah its very quiet. If you cycle into Skerries head out the Balbriggan Rd and up the hill to Ardgillen. There you can go left and come home by Ardla burial ground and Shady lane or go straight and follow sign for Man-OWar. Ask for H.B when you are up that way he might put the kettle on!!

I have busy week end, my son is making his confirmation tomorrow (Mrs fussing since about Tuesday) Saturday 2 lads from Maurs playing for Dublin minors against Louth and Sunday taking photos at championship match. Enough to keep me going.

Man and woman driving along in the car and he says to her when you die I am going to put "Cold as ever" on your headstone"
    she says to him when you die Im going to "Stiff at last" on yours"

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Martron yeah its very quiet. If you cycle into Skerries head out the Balbriggan Rd and up the hill to Ardgillen. There you can go left and come home by Ardla burial ground and Shady lane or go straight and follow sign for Man-OWar. Ask for H.B when you are up that way he might put the kettle on!!

Yes - Ardgillan Hill - there's a white line at the bottom, and another at the top (marked "Finish") - your target time is 6 minutes (should be easy - one guy did it in 3m 45s last week)

Then when you head down Shady Lane, just opposite Ardla, you can visit "Beasty's Drop" where I came off my bike in February, breaking my wrist - nice cycle though;)

If you want a slight variation, you could head out of Skerries under the railway bridge then take the right up Togher Hill (hope you have a mountain bike:)) - head all the way to the T-junction at the end then turn right past Ardla all the way up to Ardgillan (there is now a cycle track within Ardgillan, and if HB is still stuck in Switzerland courtesy of Eyjafjallajoekull you could always nip into the cafe there)

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    you can visit "Beasty's Drop" where I came off my bike in February, breaking my wrist - nice cycle though;)

Beasty i think you should go on a fingal tourism conference. ( your marketting skills leave a lot to be desired.

although these cycels sound good i have not got a clue where you are talking about.( could i trouble you for a quick link to google map with a route ;););)) i only have a hybrid so its pretty fragile machine. road going only unfortunately. kicking myself ever since i got rid of the mountain bike.

and i read leos post wrong and i was wondering where the headstones fitted into his weekend. ha ha.

Martron go up to Loughshinny Cross, take a left and go past Baldungan all the way to Lusk-Skerries Rd take a right and after 100 mtrs a left and follow signs for Ardgillen. Nice cycle. I used to hop on me bike at 5.30am every morning a few years back and believe me there is nothing like a good ride first thing in the morning:)

"Memories, flood the corner of my mind"

thanks leo.

there is a joke about a "ride in the morning " but i will leave it in the box.

and then would i come back the same way?

Martron go up to Loughshinny Cross, take a left and go past Baldungan all the way to Lusk-Skerries Rd take a right and after 100 mtrs a left and follow signs for Ardgillen. Nice cycle. I used to hop on me bike at 5.30am every morning a few years back and believe me there is nothing like a good ride first thing in the morning:)

"Memories, flood the corner of my mind"

i think i will do this
    > up by ardgillan and back through skerries. 22.5km oh jesus. legs be sore on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just checked in online so things are looking good.

Best of luck to LeoB Jr on the confo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Leo, hope you have a great day tomorrow for the confirmation :)

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Just checked in online so things are looking good.

Best of luck to LeoB Jr on the confo!

Great day had by all.

It was very interesting to watch Archbishop Martin up close especially with all that has gone on in the church. Have to say I was very impressed with him. He touched on topics but with such a young audience it was difficult situation for him.

He came accross as a very humble person, without his gard he would strike you as an ordinary person a trait often lacking with people who hold high office.

I am not a regular mass goer but It would easy go and listen to him.
    Also quite a few critise the teachers but wow I can only speak for what I saw today and they ran a super ceremony.

just back froim the cycle. there is acool breeze today ha ha.

whats the going rate for a conf o these days? i bet he could support some of the banks with wha he got!!!

back in the day i got 45 pounds . i thought i was minted.

its funny how things go full circle. if i got 45 euro today i would feel minted too :D

It has come full circle ok. Not as lavish as I thought it would be, which I was happy about as some parents use for themselves to show off which is not what its about.

As I said the ceremony was nice, simple and very well presented thanks to the teachers.

Back in the day 1976 I got a fortune to me, new football boots just like Jimmy Keavney wore for the Dubs. Went to see the towering Inferno I think. It was my last day out with my Father as he died suddenly 3 weeks later aged 48.

The young lad here was opening envelopes with €20s a plenty and there was a few 50s which is way over the top. Thankfully he is not bothered one way or the other by money, he has a fairly good attidtude.
    It was amazing looking at the Mrs, talk about getting worked up!! But she done a great job on having us all well turned out.

Martron do you need a jar of Vaseline? Cool breeze today ok

no vaseline needed!?

might need to sit on ice later though. definately need a new saddle.

and need a new tire. over inflated that bloody thing and bust the wall on it. but i will cycle it til it dies.

you had a great day for the confo anyway.

football boots!! i not sure what i spent mine on. i know i bought a bike for my communion. a townsend super rider. yellow and green . 10 speed.

think thing is i made my conformation with my sister so that truly destroyed any earning potential i had ha ha.

• Advertisement

Read something recently about new tyres that dont puncture, Jeasus that would be a gift. I cycled around the west of Ireland few years ago and its a great way to get around. Got Train to Westport and used there as a base to climb Croagh Patrick then headed down to Roscommon and stayed with my sister for 2 nights and got the train from Charlestown (I think) To Heuston. The hardest bit was the cycle from there home. The Dublin drivers were not as courteous as the country drivers.

Met 2 lads in Italy last year and they had bought their bikes on-line flew to Italy picked up the Bikes and cycled 1,100 KM on a tour and were bringing their bikes home on the plane. They saved about €500 on the bikes and it was costing them €26 to bring the bikes home with Ryan Air.

you can get puncture resistance ones. i think they have kevlar or something equally bulletproof.

there is a foam insert you can get too instead of the tube.

i dont think my range would be good enough to be cycling the west coast of irealand. ha ah . i would struggle with 40k a day ireckon ha ha.

Martron wrote: »
    you can get puncture resistance ones. i think they have kevlar or something equally bulletproof.

there is a foam insert you can get too instead of the tube.

i dont think my range would be good enough to be cycling the west coast of irealand. ha ah . i would struggle with 40k a day ireckon ha ha.

My range at the time was not a lot more 40 miles a day really. It was easy going me with my cameras ect. But the day I climbed Croagh Patrick It lashed rain all the way back to where I was staying in Westport. It was the longest few miles I ever cycled.

That post got me thinking. Do you remember the bread shop just beside the Pound? It used to do lovely soda bread. Noel Boylan from Skerries was a teacher in the Tech and he would run one of us over for a half of soda bread. The little sweet shop up from the Star pub, Grahams? and Mongey's petrol pumps up beside Clarke's.

Remember a few Nicknames from school, Flowers, Nibbler, Minty, Cleets, Kojak to name but a few. The 33 bus and lads crammed on. That was before the dual carrage way by-passed Swords, about 1976- 1979

A Swords man me. Does anyone remember the Forest rd. before Rivervalley? Or the Rathbeale Rd before Glassmore, Rathbeale Estate or before JC's when there was only a cottage behind the big hedge? The late Barney Lawless used to own a farm where Glen Ellan is now. Does anyone remember Pat and Sadie O Toole that owned the pub where the Lord Mayor's is now? The place has grown so big that it is losing or has lost it's identity as a town and has become just a suburb of Dublin. The only thing that divides Swords and Malahide now is the M1 motorway. There's nothing like a bit of nostalga.

Remember O'Tooles pub, great landmark coming from Dublin on the bus. I remember Rivervalley being build but I was quite young, A lad up that way used to keep Pidgeons, Paddy Moran?

Used to know a good few around Swords back then. Its like a city now.

ha i might try it. as long as there is the od watering hole along the way i wont mind

Martron wrote: »
    ha i might try it. as long as there is the od watering hole along the way i wont mind

Had a great night in a pub in Westport, Matt Molloy's. Great music session going on. And sure the yanks thought it was heaven. Great breakfast in a spot just around the corner. I actually stayed in a hostel with my own room, just me and my bike. Only time Iv done it and enjoyed it.

9 weeks from Tuesday and please god I will be heading to Italy. Really lookng forward to it and its that bit easier with the kids getting bigger.

We would stay at home but were being fleeced on the price of a decent house and the cost of food ect. Over in Italy we eat out every 2nd or 3rd day and its very easonable. Kids love the B.B.Q so a trip to the local shop most evenings and we are sorted. Up early and get the fresh rolls from the bakery and off we go car loaded with picnic to see the sights of Milan, Verona and this year Ferrari's track at Marinello which is about 40 minutes from where we stay. Big opera festival in Verona not that I am into opera but I believe its a great sight to see them in various squares enticing people in to the shows.

Had a great night in a pub in Westport, Matt Molloy's. Great music session going on. And sure the yanks thought it was heaven. Great breakfast in a spot just around the corner. I actually stayed in a hostel with my own room, just me and my bike. Only time Iv done it and enjoyed it.

9 weeks from Tuesday and please god I will be heading to Italy. Really lookng forward to it and its that bit easier with the kids getting bigger.

We would stay at home but were being fleeced on the price of a decent house and the cost of food ect. Over in Italy we eat out every 2nd or 3rd day and its very easonable. Kids love the B.B.Q so a trip to the local shop most evenings and we are sorted. Up early and get the fresh rolls from the bakery and off we go car loaded with picnic to see the sights of Milan, Verona and this year Ferrari's track at Marinello which is about 40 minutes from where we stay. Big opera festival in Verona not that I am into opera but I believe its a great sight to see them in various squares enticing people in to the shows.

well la ti da,

ferrari , italy , operas...... and then havin to come back to lil ol rush. how will you cope. ha ha.

sounds great though. i was at the nurburg ring last year. great spot. any car imaginable i saw there. even went on the track . scary stuff.

so does that mean when you are gone i wont get any bills? holiday for the 2 of us!!!!

This will be our 4th yar in Italy so child friendly and easy going. Keycamp is a great way of doing a holiday. Good facilities on most sites and the mobiles are top class, well we have not yet been disappointed, touch wood. Still no place like home. Get through Dublin Airport buy a pint of Milk and a cup of tea when we get home. France or Northern Spain next year P.G.

I told you before Martron I dont do them bills, its why I am always happy and singing away in my van

• Advertisement

Well here we are just 5 months into he new year. How has all the new year resoulations gone.

I stopped smoking a few weeks ago...........for a few days. Jeasus its so hard. Will get off them this year. I hope. Thinking of going to hypmothist.

Advertisement