Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

LeoB wrote: »
    I told you before Martron I dont do them bills, its why I am always happy and singing away in my van

well could you show that other fecker where you hide them in future!!!

self catering holidays are by far the best. you cant complain about the food anyway. we always went on self catering holidays in mobiles etc etc. as kids we alwasy had great fun. not sure about the folks but sure.......

a week in spain is what i am gettin this year i reckon.

new years resolution going well. cycling more. npt as much as i should be but more than i was .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Things are very quiet in theses parts, worying.

Has Brazil fallen of the radar oh and not to forget Naul. Great day today, good to see so many people out walking on the beach and along the lanes.

SUMMER IS HERE, I HOPE

was in dingle the last few days. have not really been on the ol internet much for last week.

lovely part of the country down there.

The good weather has everyone outside rather than in here!

quite enjoying it myself. i might even have some more pics for the photo thread here.

BBQ tonight too . I would invite you guys but........

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Martron;65785526

BBQ tonight too . I would invite you guys but........[/QUOTE]

Ah its ok we are washing our hair:)

thank god ........ could have been awkward

Went to Newbridge farm yesterday with kids. Fantastic to see the place so packed. Playground was full and the sunshine was very welcome. Great facility.

Anyone any info on when and if the council are having their open days?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

LeoB wrote: »
    That post got me thinking. Do you remember the bread shop just beside the Pound? It used to do lovely soda bread. Noel Boylan from Skerries was a teacher in the Tech and he would run one of us over for a half of soda bread. The little sweet shop up from the Star pub, Grahams? and Mongey's petrol pumps up beside Clarke's.

Remember a few Nicknames from school, Flowers, Nibbler, Minty, Cleets, Kojak to name but a few. The 33 bus and lads crammed on. That was before the dual carrage way by-passed Swords, about 1976- 1979

There was a little cake shop beside Ryans pub where the barbers is now. Grahams shop was on North street beside the Tech next door to where Des Kellys is now. Grahams sold that property yonks ago but it was never developed. I'm glad to report that Mary Graham is still going strong at 90 years of age. Proof that hard work is good for you. Would you agree that Swords was a better place to live then? It was certainly a different world.
    Regards,
    BB.

There was a little cake shop beside Ryans pub where the barbers is now. Grahams shop was on North street beside the Tech next door to where Des Kellys is now. Grahams sold that property yonks ago but it was never developed. I'm glad to report that Mary Graham is still going strong at 90 years of age. Proof that hard work is good for you. Would you agree that Swords was a better place to live then? It was certainly a different world.
    Regards,
    BB.

Ah I didnt live in Swords just went to the Tech. Swords was a good town then. I am 31 years out of school now. Remember going to the River cafe an odd Friday for chips or the Fingal Cafe accross from Clarkes. Its so different now.

Would you say a lot of locals lost touch with other down the years as a result of the growth in Swords. So ya remember Mick Savage from Glasmore driving the 33 bus? And his conductor Sean Foley from Turvey Avenue?

Even then and not being from Swords I knew a good few through Gaelic Football and others we just got to know from around the town. I would know nobogy in Swords now. Have met a few occasionally in Pavillions and actually had a former lad from school recommended to do a few jobs on my house.

Most boys from Rush went to school in Swords and a lot of Swords girls went to St. Josephs in Rush.

• Advertisement

No sorry, I don't remember the crew on the 33. I would definitely say that a lot of longtime Swords residents still keep in touch. Sure we keep bumping into each other on the street and in the shops. It's nice to see old faces and have a chat. It makes you feel like you belong there.
    The same can be said for Rush and Skerries. They too have become very built-up just like Swords but the old stock still remain. It will be interesting to see if the new residents develop the same sense of community over time. I hope so because it makes life seem more worthwhile.
    Did you by any chance know May Redmond who sadly passed away recently? Redmonds of Skerries have been supplying the North county with coal and oil for years. She was a prime example of what I mean. She knew everyone and they all knew her. She will be sadly missed.
    I have to say that I enjoy the bit of nostalgia. It's nice to remember the "good old days".
    Regards,
    BB.

Cant say I knew May but I knew Tom Redmond well. Remember Redmonds coal truck coming to Rush with Dermot Maypotter driving it. Dermot is on the Skerries fire brigade crew. Won Championship medals with St. Maurs of Rush back in 1973 and on that team was Tom Redmonds future Son-In-Law Michael Price. I done a photo shoot today of Michaels father Willie Price with the 2 Rush lads who were on the Dublin U/21 Team who won the All-Ireland a few weeks ago. Willie is President of St. Maurs.

Now if you want history Willie who is now in his 90s is marvellous to chat with.

its really great hearing about all these memories and i can only hope that i can have memories about rush like this!!

i have to admit i got off to a slow start but i am getting there with the whole community spirit. long may it continue!!!

Hope you are all enjoying the sunny weather!!! remember the suncream!!!

i got caught out there on a cycle on saturday!!! only really felt it today!

May was Tom Redmonds wife. She'll be sadly missed.
    You say you went to the Tech. in Swords, do you remember Jarlath Duffy who taught there?
    BB.

I remember Paddy Duffy a man with a beard teaching there, good crack. Tom Crotty, Bill Cashman, Padraig Murray, Des Halpin to name but a few, Miss Conway, Miss Logan. and I could not l;eave out Fr Dan O'Connor or "Bubbles" as we knew him. I still meet him an odd time. I got into trouble most days but one day in particular I got fed up and said to him "the innocent are always blamed" and he still reminds me of that to this day. There are a few from Swords living in Rush, Martin O'Rourke, Johnny McGrane, Sean Donnolly, Paddy Weldon Nicko Donnolly. Some really good footballers at school back then.

Rush and Skerries have grown quite a bit and to a certain extent have in my opinion lost some of their identidy. I would love people to get the chance to see what it was like going to school back years ago in Rush. Was often 5.30 or 6 when I would get home. Everyone had a Saturday job in the Glasshouses or on the farms. These jobs paid for new school books and were vital to a lot of families up to a few years ago. It was a great crack growing up, the whole place was a playground for us. I hardly ever watched telly, Wanderly Wagon and a bit of Laurel and Hardy done me fine. Got our first colour T.V in 1977 on a Wednesday in September. Ireland played England at Lansdowne Rd and my brother got it as a suprise.

Martron I and a few others here could go on for hours about growing up here, Rush, Lusk, Skerries, Balbriggan had so many great charachters, funny, serious, rascals and very decent. There is a lad after moving in behind you is a good crack, drives a van. Second house from the end.

The biggest thing that has changed for me and I see it every day as I work in Rush, is so many people dont say hello or make an effort to mix and this can give an idea of a clannish community. But It must be very difficult for people moving in to these places though. So many are under such pressure. I would say we as locals should try and do more to invite people to local functions or at least let them know by way of free newsletter whats on in each town.People like me take so much of life around here for granted, we are spoiled. The people I work with good at mixing with people and I would say have all enciuraged people to join various clubs around the town It gets easier from what I hear when kids arrive and parents meet at school gate or when kids join clubs. I get a sense around Rush that there is a better spirit around the town thanks to a good mix of local and new residents coming together. Martron the next B.B.Q we are having in St. Maurs I will let you know. As for the weather, Jeasus its great being the fear an phoist in this sunny weather. Who needs the costa del sol?

My mother was from Skerries, (May Barrett from the Cabra) she knew everyone (local) in Skerries and used to go to mass down there as often as she could to keep in touch. At her funeral I was introduced to more Skerries people who's names I recognised, Coleman, Everitt, Manson, Wilde's are a few.

It always pays to have camera with you.

I was going about my work today when I spotted this sign in a field. Most local farmers dont mind if you drop into them and ask them for a few spuds but whoever done this went to far and dug enough to feed an army. The photos dont show fully the amount of spuds they got.

Whoever dug them might have got a good run for their efforts:)

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4639028336_eae80c2eef.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

^^ LOL ^^
    :D:D:D

I love it!!
    BB.

thats gas.!!!

Funny thing is if you met the lad who put it up you would be suprised. He is a very nice man and so softly spoken.

He will get a shock when this drops in his door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Did the NCD drinks meet up ever happen? I know it was mooted some time ago and I was interested in heading along.

Hopp Schwiiz!

Brilliant atmosphere here in Bern this evening. A cacophony of car horns and cow bells. Reminds me of Italia 90.

DarrenG wrote: »
    Did the NCD drinks meet up ever happen? I know it was mooted some time ago and I was interested in heading along.

not sure. could be alright as the people here seem......... normalish!!! ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

AND rather well-behaved :p

sNarah wrote: »
    AND rather well-behaved :p

They'd better be! :D

DarrenG wrote: »

If anyone would like to take on arranging a DCN Beers - feel free to start a thread & myself or Beasty will sticky it. Maybe include a poll for where it should happen too. Once that's established - another thread with a poll for suggested dates.

No point in me doing it for you as I am mostly in Switzerland & weekends at home are strictly for family (ie, no going out boozing :().

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Only a few days to go till the skerries road races - starting to get excited now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

ragg wrote: »
    Only a few days to go till the skerries road races - starting to get excited now :)

Anyone know what the road closure times are?

Practice : Friday 2nd July 3pm to 9:30pm
    Race Day : Saturday 3rd July 9:30am - 6:30pm

More details here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Practice : Friday 2nd July 3pm to 9:30pm
    Race Day : Saturday 3rd July 9:30am - 6:30pm

More details here.

Cheers, hoping to head over on Saturday with the camera.

Advertisement