Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

World Cup Winner

One for all you Utd fans who actually followed them Pre-Fergie. The great Nobby Stiles the man who closed the Black Panther Eusebio out of the 1966 semi final and played in the World Cup Final and won the European Cup in 1968 with Utd was a familiar figure around Rush in the 60s each summer with his wife Kay( sister of Mr J. Giles) and his boat anchored in Rush Harbour.
    The place was alot more lively in summer then:)

Interesting Article with the great man himself for any Utd fans that don't know your history pre-Fergie. Especially his world cup winning fee.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/nobby-stiles-get-it-give-it-how-mr-magoo-met-jules-rimet-578961.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

While on an association football topic - Eddie 'The Kisser' Lowe, formerly of QPR also spent a lot of his holidays in the town.

Opphs I forgot the obvious football connection with Rush. I better get it in before Leo. Con Martin born in Rush, one of the few players to play for the North and the South. Also a member of the Republic team that became the first team outside the UK to beat the English on home soil in Goodison Park in 1949. Played for Dublin too in GAA so a true all round sportsman. Sure Leo can provide more GAA info on Con.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Opphs I forgot the obvious football connection with Rush. I better get it in before Leo. Con Martin born in Rush, one of the few players to play for the North and the South. Also a member of the Republic team that became the first team outside the UK to beat the English on home soil in Goodison Park in 1949. Played for Dublin too in GAA so a true all round sportsman. Sure Leo can provide more GAA info on Con.

Con is a real legend ok. It sickens me when I hear a British commentator saying they were not beaten until 1954 by the "Mighty Magyrs" with Puskas.

Con was playing for St. Maurs and went to the Aer Corps and St. Marys around then he played a game for Drumcondra the one of the big clubs in Irish football. He was so verstile it would make you wonder what he would be worth in todays game. Not many played in goal and outfield for their country.

Con only recieved his medals from the G.A.A in the late 80s. The late Willie Price worked hard to get him his medals, the ban on foreign games was still in place when Con played. Cons son Mick was also a very good player and was capped over 50times for Ireland having played for Bohs, Man Utd, W.B.A and a stint a Newcastle where he is still living, I think.

Around the time Nobby Stiles was coming to Rush Mick Jagger was spotted around the Harbour Bar. Many years later Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music used Lambay Island for bit of rest. He was friends with Viscount Lindly(?) a cousin of Queen Liz who was related to the Barings.

We will leave Marie Keane, (Mrs Kennedy of Castleross) and Godfrey Quigley for another day,oh and Peter Bowles of the Irish R.M. Brendan Behan's wife Beatrice lived on hands lane for a few years.

Sean MacStoifan and Cathal Goulding might not be best discussed here but they had a few nights sleep here when half the Irish defense force were out looking for them.

Sporting stars of Fingal. Now that would be interesting.

Con Martin would have to be up there with the best of them? Also from Rush Richard Flynn who competed in the Montrael olympics in 1976 in clay pidgeon shooting, Jim Carthy who won sailing championships galore, Matt Sands international cyclist, first Irish man to take part in the tour of britan, Stephen McPhail now with Cardiff City.
    Many a sore limb got a rub down off Matt. We often had lads go into him before an important game and they would be right as rain on the day.

Outside Rush a few who come to mind are, Kevin Manning the jockey is from Kilsallaghan/Rolestown, Jimmy Kinsella Skerries? John O'Leary Dublin keeper and Capt the last time they won Sam McGuire.

On Rush and events that happened,
    Anyone remember the time the national school had to close due to some health or water scare? IIRC a few students ended up in hospital, probably around 1980?

Hudsons Carnival?
    Open tonight half past 7 Sandy Road Rush
    Swinging boats, chair-o-planes- super dodgems-
    Jeasus I can still hear the music they played as Paddy Hudson or Maud drove around with a loud speaker blaring out Dermot Henry or Johnny McEvoy singing the "Gypsey Rover"......... "Go home girl go home"
    The carnival was where bayside Villas are now on Sandy Rd the Main St side of Credit Union. It the went to the lower end of the Golf Rd and if I remember got flooded one year.? It must be 25years since the carnival was here.
    The tideway cinema? Discos in the Palladium, the judo club and scouts in the old library? Just reading the scouts were formed in 1971.

Got myself a bag of sweets in the new sweet shop accross from Eurospar this evening. Had a right laugh looking at sherbert fizz, cola cubes and other bits and pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Thanks lads and lassies for all the good wishes....:)

Does anyone know what happened at Swords Manor this evening,I saw the road was closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

LeoB wrote: »
    The tideway cinema? Discos in the Palladium, the judo club and scouts in the old library? Just reading the scouts were formed in 1971.

Got myself a bag of sweets in the new sweet shop accross from Eurospar this evening. Had a right laugh looking at sherbert fizz, cola cubes and other bits and pieces.

Discos in the palladium on a firday night were a must, many a firday night I walked home to swords from there cause I wouldn't leave 20 minutes early to get the last bus.

The Rats for game of pool on a sunday afternoon. another must.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Discos in the palladium on a firday night were a must, many a firday night I walked home to swords from there cause I wouldn't leave 20 minutes early to get the last bus.

The Rats for game of pool on a sunday afternoon. another must.

Forgot about Rats!!! Long since gone. Now a flower shop and Post Office.
    Did ya go to school in Rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

A car accident. There was an update on AA Roadwatch about it yesterday evening.

Great memories of Rats. 'Burning Rubber' was my video game of choice back in the day.

• Advertisement

Street fighter was my generation game, I prefered the soda bar at the square. I forget its name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It was called Square 1 i think. Then became Fayre on the Square.

It was called Square 1 i think. Then became Fayre on the Square.

Thats it ok.

Its amazing how shops below the Skerries Rd corner dont survive. Anyone remember Prices just up from Harbour Bar? and Dolly's? Follenus's with the post box outside on the wall?

Duckurs and Putters?

Mrs Keaveys caravan on Sandy Rd opposite where the Credit Union is now?

Forgot about Rats!!! Long since gone. Now a flower shop and Post Office.
    Did ya go to school in Rush?

No I'm a swords head but I preferred the rush women or to be correct one woman in particular.

The Muppet wrote: »
    No I'm a swords head but I preferred the rush women or to be correct one woman in particular.

I remember a few coming from Swords to the Disco. There was always a good crowd at them. Did ya go to St. Finnians or the Brothers. Went to Finnians, The tech myself, Swords names like Flowers, Nibbler and Miley come to mind. Left in 1980.

The Rush scouts were formed in early 1970s.

The first investature was in January 1971. Fr Clancy was the founder and the first leaders were Sgt French, Barney Finnegan, Louis Amerlynck, Pat Hollingsworth and some of the patrol leaders were Nick Butterly, Eddie Coscoran and Mick King. Mick has given great service to the scouts and as far as I know is still involved. Pascal Stewart was also a leader back in the 70s/80s. Remember going on the Jubilee Jambora to Mt. Mellery in Waterford in 1977. Some charachters on that trip. The meeting were in the old Library which was just inside the church wall on the Whitestown Rd side and I remember the cubs starting there around 1974/5 with Gerry Price as leader. Remember Enda Stewart being a leader. Not so sure about the Girl Guides but I remember Gwen Ryan (now Fox) and I think Angela Beashel (now O'Connor)

The tri-colour seat at the Skerries Rd corner outside wher the hairdresser is now? Kit Mackey sitting there would tell of Black and tans, true or not we didnt care as kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

The Rush scouts were formed in early 1970s.

The first investature was in January 1971. Fr Clancy was the founder and the first leaders were Sgt French, Barney Finnegan, Louis Amerlynck, Pat Hollingsworth and some of the patrol leaders were Nick Butterly, Eddie Coscoran and Mick King. Mick has given great service to the scouts and as far as I know is still involved. Pascal Stewart was also a leader back in the 70s/80s. Remember going on the Jubilee Jambora to Mt. Mellery in Waterford in 1977. Some charachters on that trip. The meeting were in the old Library which was just inside the church wall on the Whitestown Rd side and I remember the cubs starting there around 1974/5 with Gerry Price as leader. Remember Enda Stewart being a leader. Not so sure about the Girl Guides but I remember Gwen Ryan (now Fox) and I think Angela Beashel (now O'Connor)

The tri-colour seat at the Skerries Rd corner outside wher the hairdresser is now? Kit Mackey sitting there would tell of Black and tans, true or not we didnt care as kids.

I was in the scouts in the 80 s in Rush. Actually I started off as the first Beaver when they where formed. Went through to the cubs and scouts after that.
    Id say i was invloved for about 7 years or so. I actually went on camping trips with the scouts before I actually joined due to my father being a leader at the time and the first trips I remember where Wales and the Jamboree in Portumna where the rain completely ruined the event( but i still had fun). Also went to Germany for another massive Jamboree in the Black Forest. Some of the best times I had as a kid where spent on those camping trips.

http://jbconway.com/Portumna%2085.htm :)

I remember a few coming from Swords to the Disco. There was always a good crowd at them. Did ya go to St. Finnians or the Brothers. Went to Finnians, The tech myself, Swords names like Flowers, Nibbler and Miley come to mind. Left in 1980.

That was us, one of my mates brothers used to do a bit of Dj ing there too, he was under study to tony who topped the bill .

I went to Finians too I left in 82 , I used to hang around Rush from 1980 until about 84.

Making some assumptions on you user name but I think I remember you both from school and Rush.

Mick O Brien is a very good friend of mine .

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I was a member for 7 or 8 years during the 70's.

We travelled a lot and had some great fun playing competitions all round Ireland and in Scotland too.

Met some great Rush people through the band including:

Stephen aka 'T' Carrick - Pipe Major
    Tom Andrews
    Bert Butterly - Drum Sergeant
    Larry Jones
    Mick Clare
    Marney & David Carrick
    Paul Gilsenan
    Noel & Eddie Harford (Skerries but whose father Joe came from Rush)
    John Leonard and his son Paul
    Billy Ryan (Drum Major) then succeeded by Frank Lowndes
    John Archbold
    Leo McPhail
    James & Gerard Sweetman
    Paddy & James Weldon
    Art Murphy, Kit Murphy, Patrick Murphy...to name a few.

There were some girls too:
    Pamela Armstrong
    Olive Leonard
    Michele Kerrigan..plenty of well known Rush names there.

Of course we had great support from others who although not playing did travel everywhere with us including:
    Marie Carrick
    Rita Andrews
    Celine Butterly
    Seamus Madden (Piping instructor and gentleman)
    Bobby and Andy Carrick
    Kit Langan
    Johnny and Maurice Gilsenan and many many others.....

One of the best supporters we had was the one and only Mickey Condron from Hayestown...he was good craic!

Yeah a lot of good memories of Rush and Rush people back then.

I was a member for 7 or 8 years during the 70's.

We travelled a lot and had some great fun playing competitions all round Ireland and in Scotland too.

Met some great Rush people through the band including:

Stephen aka 'T' Carrick - Pipe Major
    Tom Andrews
    Bert Butterly - Drum Sergeant
    Larry Jones
    Mick Clare
    Marney & David Carrick
    Paul Gilsenan
    Noel & Eddie Harford (Skerries but whose father Joe came from Rush)
    John Leonard and his son Paul
    Billy Ryan (Drum Major) then succeeded by Frank Lowndes
    John Archbold
    Leo McPhail
    James & Gerard Sweetman
    Paddy & James Weldon
    Art Murphy, Kit Murphy, Patrick Murphy...to name a few.

There were some girls too:
    Pamela Armstrong
    Olive Leonard
    Michele Kerrigan..plenty of well known Rush names there.

Of course we had great support from others who although not playing did travel everywhere with us including:
    Marie Carrick
    Rita Andrews
    Celine Butterly
    Seamus Madden (Piping instructor and gentleman)
    Bobby and Andy Carrick
    Kit Langan
    Johnny and Maurice Gilsenan and many many others.....

One of the best supporters we had was the one and only Mickey Condren (?sp) from Hayestown...he was good craic!

Yeah a lot of good memories of Rush and Rush people back then.

Is the Kit Langan you mention there "Kitty" who lived in Canada but was home every summer?

Kitty was part of the band that played in the Iveagh grounds in 1946 but emigration meant he had to give it up. He became well know in the Uillean pipes and actually made them. Scoil Samrah Chris Langan is in his memory, a lovely gentle man.

I remember all you have mentioned and also Maurice and Joe McCann, Tommy Dunne. Went on one trip IIRC to Durrow in Co. Laois.

Mickey Condron, now there was a charachter!

• Advertisement

Lamper.ssfc
    Was just reading a bit on the scouts the other evening and ommitted the bit about the beavers. My sister is a leader with them now but you had Betty F and Cathy C who wer the first leaders

The Muppett.
    I know Mick well if its the Irish Rail Mick you mean. We grew up a few doors apart then he moved to what seemed a young lad miles away, to St. Maurs. I am pretty sure I must know you. I often wonder what happened to lads from secondary school.
    You can keep me insuspense or pm me who you are or will I have to spot mick and ask

Is the Kit Langan you mention there "Kitty" who lived in Canada but was home every summer?

Kitty was part of the band that played in the Iveagh grounds in 1946 but emigration meant he had to give it up. He became well know in the Uillean pipes and actually made them. Scoil Samrah Chris Langan is in his memory, a lovely gentle man.

I remember all you have mentioned and also Maurice and Joe McCann, Tommy Dunne. Went on one trip IIRC to Durrow in Co. Laois.

Mickey Condron, now there was a charachter!

Yes Leo, pretty sure Kit was away a lot of the time but he did come back quite often. He was in the original line-up in '46 I believe along with Jack McGuinness and others...although that was before my time!

Forgot to mention Tommy Dunne who was a great tenor drummer.

Forgot to mention Murdo McLeod too....and Michael Jones.

We used to travel to Durrow early each Summer and believe it or not the journey was so long then (no motorway) we used to get Frank Fanning's Coach to stop off in the Killeshin Hotel in Portlaoise to let us have a meal on the way. Now you can reach Durrow in under an hour from Dublin!

Yes Leo, pretty sure Kit was away a lot of the time but he did come back quite often. He was in the original line-up in '46 I believe along with Jack McGuinness and others...although that was before my time!

Forgot to mention Tommy Dunne who was a great tenor drummer.

Forgot to mention Murdo McLeod too....and Michael Jones.

We used to travel to Durrow early each Summer and believe it or not the journey was so long then (no motorway) we used to get Frank Fanning's Coach to stop off in the Killeshin Hotel in Portlaoise to let us have a meal on the way. Now you can reach Durrow in under an hour from Dublin!

Murdo McLeod was also a very nice man. I remember getting ball barings from him when he worked in Traynors Garage on the Square. His wife Maura still does a bit for the band. Michael Doyle is a long time supporter of band also. I think Tommy Dunne is back in the band now. There is a book on the band in the library in the local studies section if you dont already have it.

Murdo McLeod was also a very nice man. I remember getting ball barings from him when he worked in Traynors Garage on the Square. His wife Maura still does a bit for the band. Michael Doyle is a long time supporter of band also. I think Tommy Dunne is back in the band now. There is a book on the band in the library in the local studies section if you dont already have it.

I agree with you about Murdo.

Yes, Michael Doyle was a key figure too.

Glad to hear Tommy has returned to the band.

I have a copy of the book you mention. It is a great record of a great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Lamper.ssfc
    Was just reading a bit on the scouts the other evening and ommitted the bit about the beavers. My sister is a leader with them now but you had Betty F and Cathy C who wer the first leaders

Cathy C is my mother;)

Cathy C is my mother;)

Where would we be only for Boards:)

They done a great job starting the beavers and so many have had a great time going up through the ranks over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

did anyone get to the chat in the library?
    it was the ol birthday so i am just in....... the head wont be right tomorrow......or should i say later today.

Frohes geburtstag!

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Frohes geburtstag!

Jeasus thats an awful thing to call him;)

Happy Birthday Martron!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Frohes geburtstag!

danke schon.

Advertisement