Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They'd be handy enough if like me you are afraid of the dark :D

I got a deadly car kit there a couple of years ago (well the OH got it for me) has come in handy with punctures and various other bits, I am contemplating asking them if they still have any :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Stheno wrote: »
    I got a deadly car kit there a couple of years ago (well the OH got it for me) has come in handy with punctures and various other bits, I am contemplating asking them if they still have any :D

Having seen their store room on the telly last year I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do have some still buried out there :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Having seen their store room on the telly last year I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do have some still buried out there :pac:

Haha my thoughts exactly!

Was down there again today stocking up with food and drink so as to avoid going out if possible.

Well sweet mother of the divine, the car park is in an awful state, they've a JCB going around to clear the main areas, and a pile of lads sweeping snow away, but there were a couple of vans stuck getting up the slope of the car park, that had to be pushed a fair bit of the way up :eek:

Than I'd fun reversing out of my car park space, as I'd parked in a space surrounded by snow :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A big thank-you to everyone for their positive contributions to the forum during the year - even some of the more "testing" threads have been "interesting";)

Hopefully the weather will be a bit kinder to everyone over the festive period, and you will all get to where you need to be

Someone posted the following in the other forum I moderate, and I thought I would share it here:

Happy Christmas everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merry Christmas to all.

HB

* waits for new thread on how DCN is now a multi-culti community & that my above statement is un-PC * :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I would just like to wish the Lads and their families a Happy Xmas. They put up with a fair share of abuse in the last year, mainly from me actually and lets not forget that moding is a volunteer job.

I don't know whats happened me, I just came over all Christmassy!! I must go take my medication.

P.S For the curious I have attached a face pic, its always nice to put a face to a poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Happy Holidays! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I would just like to wish the Lads and their families a Happy Xmas. They put up with a fair share of abuse in the last year, mainly from me actually and lets not forget that moding is a volunteer job.

I don't know whats happened me, I just came over all Christmassy!! I must go take my medication.

P.S For the curious I have attached a face pic, its always nice to put a face to a poster.

Beofre i clicked the link
    i thought to myself i bet its the grinch

i knew it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Happy christmas everyone,

Cant wait to see what 2011 will throw up........... it has a lot to live up to

Eirgrid,Damaged speed bumps, grafitti, noisy cars, more estates gettiong taken over, off topic posts ........ its going to be great!

its been emotional guys.

Chat to you all soon

Happy Christmas
    Martin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Happy Christmas everyone!!

And a big thank you to the mods for being gentle with us all year :)

• Advertisement

Have a great Christmas everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I just came over all Christmassy!! I must go take my medication.

I have been trying to put a name to you for a while so thanks for the pic:). You have been most entertaining and enlightening since you came on here with some superb contributions. Thank you.

Thanks to H.B and Stephen Roche Beasty for a job well done and to all the posters who make this such a good place to visit.

Happy Christmas to you all and your families

Funny side effect of the bad weather is that I've learned the names of the streets around Swords.

So rather than thinking of a place being where the park or the carnegie court is, I now know the names lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

May 2011 bring all sorts of wonderful to all of ye in NCD (and those in secret neighbouring area's in Meath that pretend to be NCD:o)

Like posted in my other forum/

attachment.php?attachmentid=140976&stc=1&d=1293450076

attachment.php?attachmentid=140977&stc=1&d=1293450096

On a more serious note - we need to move out of our wee cottage as it's driving us mad (bad heating, bad conditions etc, long story) and for some reason, properties around here are never put online and are being rented out by word of mouth (and usually missing us :()

So... if you know anywhere in Clonalvy, Naul, Ballyboughal, etc up for rent, do let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Did you ring back and get them to deliver what they left out at their own expense? I am surprise with such poor service your are still ordering from them.

Ah yeah, they're good for coming back, and have definitely improved over the last few weeks. Reason for continuing to order = the food is very very yummy! Best takeaway in the town.

sNarah wrote: »
    So... if you know anywhere in Clonalvy, Naul, Ballyboughal, etc up for rent, do let me know!

Did ya get sorted yet? If not why not ask Gerry the postie.

LeoB wrote: »
    Did ya get sorted yet? If not why not ask Gerry the postie.

Aha! We did!
    and I can proudly say that I no longer have to pretend to be in NCD because........ we are :o

Moved into the old girls school last weekend in Garristown, living out of boxes at the moment but it's a grand all place altogether! Thanks for asking Leo - and I'll get back to that email of yours soon too, promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Slightly off topic but:

jesusinaglanza, is your username the modified version of Hosanna in a Hiace? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

dcr22B wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but:

jesusinaglanza, is your username the modified version of Hosanna in a Hiace? ;)

emmm no? :confused: years ago i drove a glanza...id LOVE to change my username but i cant :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Subscribe to Boards and you can.

Any advice on this thread re. where my closest swimming pool is? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

An article in today's Irish Times states that in 2010, McDonald’s increased exports of Irish beef to its restaurants in Europe to €110 million from €80 million in 2007.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0314/1224292061664.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Benjy wrote: »
    An article in today's Irish Times states that in 2010, McDonald’s increased exports of Irish beef to its restaurants in Europe to €110 million from €80 million in 2007.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0314/1224292061664.html
    Sounds like a load of bull to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Sounds like a load of bull to me.

Just passing on what I herd..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Morphéus wrote: »
    An Ecumenical Service will take place at 1.00 p.m. in St. Peter & Paul’s Church and all are welcome to attend.

For shame, but what is an ecumenical service as opposed to a mass? A blessing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Interesting story in yesterdays Independent

Irish Independent March 14th 2011
    A NEW government TD has been thwarted in his efforts to get his wife elected to his vacant council seat.

Fine Gael's Alan Farrell left a spot on Fingal County Council when he took a second seat for Fine Gael in the four-seat Dublin North constituency in last month's general election.

Mr Farrell was seen as an outside bet to win a seat. But strong vote management by his running mate -- Fine Gael deputy leader and new Health Minister James Reilly -- pushed him over the line.

His council berth, which can be worth around €30,000 a year in payments and expenses, was to be filled in advance of the first meeting of the council this evening.

Immediately after the general election count, Mr Farrell said his replacement was a matter for party members but claimed he had somebody with "authority and ability" in mind to fill the position.

The selection convention took place last week and Mr Farrell proposed his wife, Emma Doyle, to fill his seat.

Ms Doyle, a barrister by profession, worked on Mr Farrell's general election campaign and on previous local election campaigns.

In his proposal speech, it is understood he highlighted his wife's abilities as a barrister and said that she had been an inspiration to him.

However, some members of the local organisation thought it wouldn't send out the right message if Ms Doyle was put forward uncontested.

Brian Murphy, chairman of the Fine Gael national executive and also a Malahide native, nominated Anthony Lavin, a long-term party activist, and he won out at the convention, which was held in the Grand Hotel in Malahide last Thursday.

Mr Farrell, a former mayor of Fingal County Council, declined to comment and a Fine Gael spokesperson said he "wasn't available to talk to the media at all" yesterday.

Since the abolition of the dual mandate in 2004, councillors who make it to the Dail after running in a general election have to be replaced on the local authority by a substitute.

It is left up to the party to decide how to fill the council seat but it must stay with the party the councillor was originally elected from.

Political parties have become more wary about allowing family members replace TDs on councils and also about allowing TDs to hire family members as parliamentary assistants.

Labour has told its TDs not to put family members in their council seats or to hire them in Leinster House.

Fianna Fail, which only has four council seats to fill, is dictating from headquarters who is to fill the seats and sources say family members will not be allowed.

But Fine Gael leaves it up to individual organisations locally, and allows them to vote on it at party conventions.

Local Fine Gael sources were surprised by Mr Farrell's move and said it sent out the wrong kind of signal at a time when people are looking for the political system to reform itself.

"I don't buy this that family members can't be allowed take the seat," one Fine Gael source told the Irish Independent.

"You could have a very strong candidate being passed over. But there was a feeling that this wouldn't look right and most of the people there backed the other candidate."

Considering the stuff we had to listen to from various sides about cronyism, this is a stunning attempt by Alan to keep it in the family and surley calls into question his judgement.

Kettles, Pots......... Say no more with this Universal Social Charge I could not afford a Barrister to defend me.

All that said, IF she was the best person for the job where does cronyism come into it? Or should it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Between this and Brian Cowen electing Darragh O'Brien to the Seanad for 3 weeks, we really do elect a great bunch... :confused:

Advertisement