Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Jonathan wrote: »
    Between this and Brian Cowen electing Darragh O'Brien to the Seanad for 3 weeks, we really do elect a great bunch... :confused:

So what did we really replace Fianna Fail with?

As for Darragh. I think you mean promote him to spokesman for sport?
    Darragh in fairness had a good record and in my opinion was a good worker and was a victim of the anti-F.F. feeling in the country. As I stated in another thread I think he was among a new breed of politican coming to the fore within all parties, honest and genuine, maybe I am a bit niave but People like Darragh O'Brien, Darragh Collery, Shane McEntee, Olynn Enright, Ciara Conway all need some serious exposure not to mention the young lad from Wicklow Andrew Doyle. The whole political scene has become very cynical and hopefully these new breed will get more young people involved.

I am not a big fan of party politics and maybe in time we will move away from it. There are some excellent people coming forward and I would love to see the day when we elect the very best people to be in Goverment on their ability rather than the party they represent.

As for our patch I look forward to meeting our T.Ds coming and visiting N.C.D and by that I mean coming further than Blakes Cross and playing an active role in re developing N.C.D.

(By the way I am not a member of F.F. or any other party)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

On the face of it there seems to have been a serious lack if judgement by Deputy Farrell on this matter. I must say I was very surprised when I read about this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Jimdagym wrote: »
    For shame, but what is an ecumenical service as opposed to a mass? A blessing?

???

what are you getting at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

On the face of it there seems to have been a serious lack if judgement by Deputy Farrell on this matter. I must say I was very surprised when I read about this.

I suspect we will see more such errors of Judgement in the new Dail with 76 novice members and so few experienced TDs to advise and guide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Morphéus wrote: »
    ???

what are you getting at?

I wasnt trying to be funny. The piece you quoted said that the church was holding an Ecumenical service at 1pm. To my shame as a poor catholic, I was asking what the difference was between that and a regular mass. Slightly off topic, but I was only curious for some clarification. Might bring the kids up to it.

Apologies if I was a bit unclear.

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    For shame, but what is an ecumenical service as opposed to a mass? A blessing?

Members and leaders of other christian churches are invited along to take part in the service. A show of unity from the Christian Churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

p2100616%5Bekm%5D278x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Someone was missing from today's Paddies Day Parade in Skerries:

DSC_0022-1.jpg?t=1300381281

Apparently he's stuck up a mountain somewhere in Switzerland ....

For anyone that hasn't read todays Indo. Thread already started in politics on it, its not really showing Dublin North in a good light.

Irish Independent
    By Fiach Kelly Political Correspondent

Saturday March 26 2011

A NEW government TD has hired his wife as an assistant in Leinster House after he was thwarted in his efforts to get her elected to his vacant council seat.

Fine Gael's Alan Farrell has hired Emma Doyle as his parliamentary assistant in the Dail just two weeks after she was rejected by Mr Farrell's Dublin North FG branch as his replacement on Fingal County Council.

The Irish Independent has learnt Ms Doyle, a barrister by profession, sent out an email to Mr Farrell's colleagues this week, telling them about her husband's new mobile phone number.

"Please note that Deputy Alan Farrell has changed his mobile number," Ms Doyle wrote. "Kind regards, Emma Doyle, Parliamentary Assistant to Alan Farrell TD."

Parliamentary assistants earn between €41,092 and €52,200 per year, which is paid for by the State.

Neither Malahide-based Mr Farrell nor his wife returned calls for the past two days.

However, when confronted last night at a US embassy function and asked if hiring his wife sent out the wrong signal, Mr Farrell said: "I am here at an embassy function, there are people here who I would like to speak to this evening. I am not telling you anything, that is none of your business. Please go away before I call security."

The move has caused some embarrassment within Fine Gael, with one source describing it as "silly" during a time of economic crisis. Labour has strongly recommended to its TDs that they do not hire family members in Leinster House, and Fianna Fail has similarly advised its deputies.

A Sinn Fein spokesman said none of its TDs hired family members.

Ms Doyle worked on Mr Farrell's general election campaign and on previous local election campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

certainly does.

and a politician who can not justify his actions by speaking to someone is in my opinion the people he promised they were not going to be like!!!

• Advertisement

If Mr. Farrell does not change his tac he might well find himself in hot water sooner than he thinks. What an ignorant atidtude towards his public.

Good reporting by Fiach Kelly 9Fio) a good Rush man:). Not to mention our very own Charlie Bird ooops Corsendonk

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Balbriggan Harbour, thousands of rats, general rubbish(traffic cones, prawn heads, human(from various boats and overflow from blocked loo in the pub) and canine excrement, general silt, builders rubble, various storage containers, and haphazardly painted and unused traffic barriers !
    Get your priorities right !
    Corsendonk wrote: »
    Balbriggan Railway Viaduct and Harbour(without the minesweeper)
    Lambay Island(it does dominate the coastline)
    Ireland Eye
    Rockabill
    Martello Towers(you have a choice there)
    Hampden Round Tower Folly in Portrane
    St Ita's Hospital- example of victorian red brick building and social history.
    Swords Castle
    Royal Canal Blanchardstown
    Malahide Train Station- still has the GNR logo in Iron work last time I checked.
    Hamilton Momument Skerries
    Baldungan Castle(Church)
    Howth Castle
    Baily Lighthouse
    Skerries Islands
    Swords Abbey- Round Tower
    St Maur Chapel Rush- Whitestown graveyard
    Band Stand- remember the one in Rush if you can find one in any condition left in Fingal. Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown have done a brilliant job on the one in Dun Laoghaire harbour and its an example of a lost Victorian age.

sbkenn wrote: »
    Balbriggan Harbour, thousands of rats, general rubbish(traffic cones, prawn heads, human(from various boats and overflow from blocked loo in the pub) and canine excrement, general silt, builders rubble, various storage containers, and haphazardly painted and unused traffic barriers !
    Get your priorities right !

So I take it they got rid of the old minesweeper tied to the lamppost ?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    So I take it they got rid of the old minesweeper tied to the lamppost ?
    Tied to the lampost ... as there is little else TO tie to, and, no, they didn't get rid of the boat ... a boat that has attracted a lot of positive interest ... but then, the silent majority are rarely consulted, only the do-gooders sticking their noses in where locals don't appreciate it. The REAL eyesore, and one that intends to remain, is the night-club.
    The real risk to the harbour is the lack of sea defences so that winter storms shake the whole pier.

sbkenn wrote: »
    Tied to the lampost ... as there is little else TO tie to, and, no, they didn't get rid of the boat ... a boat that has attracted a lot of positive interest ... but then, the silent majority are rarely consulted, only the do-gooders sticking their noses in where locals don't appreciate it. The REAL eyesore, and one that intends to remain, is the night-club.
    The real risk to the harbour is the lack of sea defences so that winter storms shake the whole pier.

Well why don't you start a thread on the state of the harbour then......

Because someone posted a photo specifying "without minesweeper" as though she was undesireable. Someone said a while ago ... "so that's what he's doing ... she'll be a fine boat". Note: she WILL be !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Split from 'Lidl in Swords' thread. HB

I think that €700,000 would be better spent on finishing the castle, making it a moneyspinning tourist amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I think that €700,000 would be better spent on finishing the castle, making it a moneyspinning tourist amenity.

Can't see that ever being the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Can't see that ever being the case.

Really? I suppose I mean moneyspinning for the town overall rather than in and of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

Really? I suppose I mean moneyspinning for the town overall rather than in and of itself.

Theres a lot that could be done with that old castle. Money needed or a bit of flexibility but I could see a Medieval festival or a visitor centre dedicated to Brian Boru.

• Advertisement

Theres a lot that could be done with that old castle. Money needed or a bit of flexibility but I could see a Medieval festival or a visitor centre dedicated to Brian Boru.

Whats the parking like for tourists? Might be interesting to have a thread on Swords Castle. seems to be starting to look the part these days.

Just wondering what do you mean by this comment, is Rush a rough place, or getting that way? Its an area that I am looking at moving to. How does it compare with Lusk or other nearby areas. Sorry if its getting off topic, just want to get a feel for the place, and no better way than ask the people who know it best.

Cheers,
    MartinAnt

Its a quiet suburban town that not much happens so when anything does it gets blown out of proportion hence the post about the fire in a derelict building turning into an attack by the Russian Mafia

The town has 3 primary schools one of which is a GaelScoil in temp facilities of the GAA. The nearest Educate Together is in Lusk. The town also has a secondary school with plans to move to a new site within the town in the coming years.

It has more facilities than Lusk, Skerries would have more to offer but you would want to widen your budget. Commuting from Rush has improved with the expansion of carparking at the Rush-Lusk Railway station. The road out of Rush towards Dublin in the mornings can get congested but if you leave before 7am you miss most of the traffic. It still has a strong farming base so be prepared to be stuck behind tractors from time to time.

The town has a wide range of sports clubs such as GAA, Cricket, Golf, Sailing, Fight Academy, Soccer etc If the Arts are more your thing, the town has a well know theatre and players, a recently opened council Library, a highly successful pipe band, a musical society and a vibrate Comhaltas Ceoltóirí group. It has also two excellent and under used beaches which are good for walking or kite surfing. So its only as good as you make it.

Negative points, at times the population can be a little insular but that is falling away with the doubling of the town population in the last 10 years. The main road into the town is also not in great condition due to the deterioration of the speed ramps(Rush must have the Irish record for speed ramps). Some of the estates also have pyrite and development issues but what new estates in Ireland don't these days? If you have a particular location in mind in the town some of the Rush posters may be able to provide more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

MartinAnt, its fine don't worry about it. Its just the usual messin of a boarded up house that was to have been developed, didnt because of the downturn and now some kids got in and lit a fire. Nothing untoward other than they could have burnt out an ajoining business - could of happened in any town, its not a rough place, have lived there all my life.:pac:

MartinAnt wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering what do you mean by this comment, is Rush a rough place, or getting that way? Its an area that I am looking at moving to. How does it compare with Lusk or other nearby areas. Sorry if its getting off topic, just want to get a feel for the place, and no better way than ask the people who know it best.

Cheers,
    MartinAnt

Rush is an excellent place to live just like most of Fingal. Its has loads to offer with plenty of amenities. Excellent clubs, schools and amenities.

Like every other town in Ireland the is a little bit of deadwood floating about but in general its a decent community with a lot of nice people. I think it makes a good family place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

LeoB wrote: »
    Rush is an excellent place to live just like most of Fingal. Its has loads to offer with plenty of amenities. Excellent clubs, schools and amenities.

Like every other town in Ireland the is a little bit of deadwood floating about but in general its a decent community with a lot of nice people. I think it makes a good family place to live.

I have to agree with LeoB. You can walk down the street in Rush and people you don't even know will say hello to you, even the kids say hello. I have seen many a bicycle left outside the local shops unlocked and not touched.

Listen every village has its share of fools but I think Rush is years behind on this one. Its a great friendly place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Only copped Hill Billy's Avatar there now. very good ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LOL!!! That took a while. :D

Edit: My 8yo son just saw me posting this. He's never seen boards before.
    He asked me "Who is Hill Billy?"
    I said, "That's the name I use on this website."
    He said, "Oh, that's clever - the picture matches the initials."

:D:D:D

Hill Billy wrote: »
    LOL!!! That took a while. :D

Ah in fairness, I haven't been on line proper in aaaages.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

/rant

24hr Tesco wouldn't sell me cigarettes on thursday evening at 11pm.
    24 hrs my (censored)

/rant over

• Advertisement

Why?

Advertisement