Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Dunno really! Got annoyed,as I made a conscious decision to go to Millfield rather than (old) Applewood Garage... basically, the shutter was pulled out just in front of the customer desk. I asked a dude at one the checkouts "Hi ya, can I get cigarettes from here?". Answer "no.".

So, me: "Okay, can I get them anywhere else in this shop?"
    Again: "No"

At that point I was getting annoyed and decided for the better option and left :o Really I should have probably asked a manager or responsible on duty, but I don't like 'making a fuss'.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

sNarah wrote: »
    Dunno really! Got annoyed,as I made a conscious decision to go to Millfield rather than (old) Applewood Garage... basically, the shutter was pulled out just in front of the customer desk. I asked a dude at one the checkouts "Hi ya, can I get cigarettes from here?". Answer "no.".

So, me: "Okay, can I get them anywhere else in this shop?"
    Again: "No"

At that point I was getting annoyed and decided for the better option and left :o Really I should have probably asked a manager or responsible on duty, but I don't like 'making a fuss'.

Hmm... laziness on his part it seems..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

The reason I believe behind not selling cigarettes after a certain hour is that they don't want people that may have drink on board on the way home from the pub etc. in the shop to get cigarettes during the night. I can see the logic behind it to be honest.

Unfortunately non-drunks like yourself (I'm assuming!!) are inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Fair point... Though do the punters not go in for, let's, say a late night snack or whatever... anyway, doesn't matter :o

(and yes, stone cold sober)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MartinAnt

Thanks for the replies guys. Good to get an insight of the area from people who know about it. I'm not from Dublin, but i'll probably be settling in North Dublin, so just looking for opinions of different areas. Will prefer to settle somewhere near the train line.

Cheers,
    MartinAnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

MartinAnt wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. Good to get an insight of the area from people who know about it. I'm not from Dublin, but i'll probably be settling in North Dublin, so just looking for opinions of different areas. Will prefer to settle somewhere near the train line.

Cheers,
    MartinAnt

Well let me assure you that you wont go to far wrong in Rush.or most places in N.C.D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The reason I believe behind not selling cigarettes after a certain hour is that they don't want people that may have drink on board on the way home from the pub etc. in the shop to get cigarettes during the night. I can see the logic behind it to be honest.

Unfortunately non-drunks like yourself (I'm assuming!!) are inconvenienced.

Nothing to do with locking up the cig machine at night on the Customer Service counter so they don't have to staff it?? Hard enough to find checkout staff at 2 in the morning to serve you on the checkout line. Laziness on the part of the checkout person not to call management or security to open it up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For anyone that was not there to witness this momentous event, I would like to place on record the fact that today Beasty beat Hill Billy in a sack race.
    the fact that we were last and second last respectively is of no relevance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Congratulations to you both on completing the race....eventually :p

Beasty wrote: »
    For anyone that was not there to witness this momentous event, I would like to place on record the fact that today Beasty beat Hill Billy in a sack race.
    the fact that we were last and second last respectively is of no relevance

Over 50s event?

• Advertisement

Pics or GTFO!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Over 50s event?

If it was an over 50s event I hereby claim the title

Now IIRC that's the second time you've made such a suggestion about HB - not sure how he'll take it this time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Over 50s event?

Post reported!!! :)

Sorry Larianne - No pics. The camera was in my pocket. Had I not been weighed by the camera & some spare change I'm sure that I would have won. (Or at least not come last.) :o

If it was an over 50s event I hereby claim the title

Now IIRC that's the second time you've made such a suggestion about HB - not sure how he'll take it this time;)

I always had a mental image that you were both the same ages give or take 5 years. Well either your in great condition for your age or he is in disgraceful condition for his if the age gap is wider :p

Corsendonk wrote:
    I always had a mental image that you were both the same ages give or take 5 years. Well either your in great condition for your age or he is in disgraceful condition for his if the age gap is wider :p

Beasty being around 6' 8" just threw himself over the line. As I am only 4' 11" I didn't have a chance. (Especially with the camera & a few coins weighing me down.)

The above statements may or may not be true. Terms & conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

You have a very warped funny mind Corsendonk.

I think maybe we could have a little talent spot here for the mods to post their pictures and us poor folk to guess their ages:D. They would of course wear nothing only a sack:D Someone pick me off the floor.

I met Beasty recently and he would pass for about .........24 as my wife struggles to pick me off the floor for the second time.

You need to bear in mind HB also moderates Food & Drink and Smoking - my other "modship" is cycling;)

(I am also probably getting on for 6 stone lighter than I was when I was HB's age, whatever age that is)

You need to bear in mind HB also moderates Food & Drink and Smoking - my other "modship" is cycling;)

(I am also probably getting on for 6 stone lighter than I was when I was HB's age, whatever age that is)

Any truth in the rumour that Boards management following HB fitness test failure on Sunday are considering moving him to the Modship of the Pilates and Spinning Classes Forum?

Your comments on my wellbeing are becoming a bit creepy. This ain't the first time either.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Your comments on my wellbeing are becoming a bit creepy. This ain't the first time either.

Yeah I seen similiar replies in other forums when people are at a loss to say something funny in reply to a joke. :D

• Advertisement

Nice article in today's Irish Times on Skerries Adopt a Beach

I was out digging the garden with the missus so didn't miss it much thankfully.

How is that working out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

^ reminds me about a joke..... i will save it for the humour forum.

But about gardens....

I know what i am not growning next year. Lettuce. I am so sick of eating lettuce!!!

Anyone any good lettuce recipes?

Martron wrote: »
    ^ reminds me about a joke..... i will save it for the humour forum.

But about gardens....

I know what i am not growning next year. Lettuce. I am so sick of eating lettuce!!!

Yes but it involves feeding it to a rabbit beforehand.:pac:

Lettuce actually has a natural chemical in it to make you sleepy, thats what herbal sleeping pills are made from. Has your sleepy improved since the lettuce diet kicked in?

They had Lettuce and Ham soup in college a few months back. Strangest soup combo ever!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you fancy a change, lettuce can be cooked:

Braised Little Gems
    "Forever Summer" by Nigella Lawson
    (Serves 6)
    6 Little Gem or Baby Boston lettuces, left whole2 1/4 cups chicken stock5 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oilhandful of fresh thyme sprigssalt and black pepper
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Cut the ends off the lettuce, and remove any discolored outer leaves. Lay the lettuces snugly in a baking dish, then pour in the chicken stock. Drizzle over the oil and pull the leaves off the sprigs of thyme and sprinkle them over, then season with salt and pepper.
    Cover the dish tightly with foil, and put it in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the lettuces are softly wilting and tender.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The doorbell rang about half an hour to forty minutes ago.

There was a kid there, spanish student who arrived over yesterday and was completely lost and crying. He needed to ring his dad in Spain to find out his address and had no credit on his phone.

So we let him ring his dad, got the address, (literally around the corner in a big estate) and then spent about twenty minutes driving around to find the house he is staying at.

When he got there he started clapping his hands and crying again :eek:

Can't help but wonder about arrangements for those students if that's what happens to them when they are out!

Ah the poor kid, he must have been terrified. Some of them are very young, you'd think they were at least being shown around for the first weekend before letting them wander on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Can someone tell me why it's:

region->east->dublin county north->dublin county north

instead of just:

region->east->dublin county north

?

• Advertisement

something to do with adding subfora or something..

Advertisement