Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tidied the garden & scrubbed the grill on Saturday. Lovely BBQ with the family in the evening. Still needed the ol' wooly jumpers though. I really enjoyed the birdsong sitting alone by the fire sipping on a whiskey later in the evening. Ah, home...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Are the proper/normal size ones not a bit of a nuisance to have or do you just keep it in the shed to prevent rust, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm just curious. Do you need planning permission for a fecking hedge these days? Almost no-one on our estate has one......... we planted ours on Saturday/Sunday.

In our section of the estate we'll be the only people with one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No idea, have you tried the Gardening forum? Maybe it'll be OK assuming it's not a certain height, etc.

Hello to the kayaking/canoe people I saw at Malahide estuary on the train home this evening. Looked like fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I'm just curious. Do you need planning permission for a fecking hedge these days? Almost no-one on our estate has one......... we planted ours on Saturday/Sunday.

In our section of the estate we'll be the only people with one.

No, do its a good way to make yourself unpopular if you picked the wrong hedging(infamous Leylandii) or don't keep it well pruned.

• Advertisement

No, do its a good way to make yourself unpopular if you picked the wrong hedging(infamous Leylandii) or don't keep it well pruned.

Ah yes Leylandii, I'm familiar with how much that's hated. We opted for privet and this will grow to a max height of 5-6ft and will require being cut every 1-2 years at most.

https://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=privet+hedge&ix=seb&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=963&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=_IZzT6DHJJSFhQfs4umlBQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Ah yes Leylandii, I'm familiar with how much that's hated. We opted for privet and this will grow to a max height of 5-6ft and will require being cut every 1-2 years at most.

Privet will need a cut every year if you want to keep it at 5-6ft, seen it reach 10ft no bother when left for a year and then it looks terrible when cut back.

Privet will need a cut every year if you want to keep it at 5-6ft, seen it reach 10ft no bother when left for a year and then it looks terrible when cut back.

Ah that's no problem, once a year is hardly a big deal. I didn't realize it could grow so tall. I'll be keeping it neat and tidy.

It has been quiet around here for a while. How are you all keeping? Did you all survive the recent bad weather unscathed?
    I'm looking forward to a balmy 26C here in Bern tomorrow. Just saying... :)

(KH - How did the fried chicken work out?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

It has been quiet around here for a while. How are you all keeping? Did you all survive the recent bad weather unscathed?
    I'm looking forward to a balmy 26C here in Bern tomorrow. Just saying... :)

(KH - How did the fried chicken work out?)
    Ah all grand here. Great news about the Fry Model Railway today. Has really cheered me up. Apart from that nothing much doing.
    How's the food this week?

• Advertisement

I saw that about the FMR. Result!
    Food-wise - don't ask. Stupid hours in work this week have left me living on kebabs. At least they are top-notch ones (proper spiced lamb & super salad) not like the cr@p back home.

Am off taking a day off on Sunday & heading to Jungfraujoch (google it!). Will have my last fondue of the season. :)

Laying on the sunblock, tHB?

It was 25C here in Bern today, but the last forecast I saw for where I am going on the glacier is -2c & show showers on Sunday. Will check again tomorrow evening. At 4km up - you never know what to expect - especially at this time of the year.

A friend of mine was killed snow-boarding a few weeks ago. Most likely due to change in overnight snow surface conditions that had not been expected.

You can never be 100% sure what you'll find when you get there.

RIP Dawid. :(

Oh dear :( Suppose snow is one of those things that can creep up very quickly without much of an indicator how risky things become. Have no idea about it as a sport, but always sad when someone dies having fun like that - things can change on a dime.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Very sorry to hear that HB, have had family members suffer serious injuries skiing, but that sudden death must be dreadful

Thoughts to all Dawid's friends and family.

Thanks folks. He went away doing what he enjoyed most. :)

Welcome back to the non-bold side, Stheno. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Welcome back to the non-bold side, Stheno. ;)

It's a welcome change :) No need to feel I have to log on here makes me enjoy the forum more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Sorry to hear of your friends death HB. Doing what he enjoyed.

Speaking of weather changes driving back from Glens of Antrim was like going from Lanzarote to siberia. From beautiful sunshine to biting cold wind and hail.......... But always nice in NCD no matter the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Always lurked, never posted. Sorry for your loss HB.... It's a risky sport. Broke my leg doing it years back.

Stheno, where's your modship gone?

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    Stheno, where's your modship gone?

To heaven due to work pressures, I've been working stupid hours lately and as I work in IT feeling I "needed" to log on after hours per day at a pc became a disincentive.

As well as working crazy hours, and doing more travel lately (I'll be looking at travelling up to 18 weeks for the rest of the year) I'm on two global committees and one local one due to my work, all of which mean after hours conference calls and additional work.

Adding on modding duties so I felt like a useful contributor just became too much tbh

That's a busy schedule alright! Glad to see you're still sticking about. A lot of former Mods generally walk away completely! Kudos. :)

MugMugs wrote: »
    That's a busy schedule alright! Glad to see you're still sticking about. A lot of former Mods generally walk away completely! Kudos. :)

no real kudos deserved tbh, more one less compulsory calling on my time :)

I enjoyed modding, every mod both in tll and outside were great and willing volunteers, takes a fair bit of effort and discipline I have to say :)

I just got too fond of going off the grid to be able to keep it up :)

And I have to say I'm enjoying boards far more now that it's a "when I feel like it" as opposed to an " you have a reported post email" need :)

We're not a bad bunch around here, MM. Welcome!

You want to watch him, I know him from Motors :D

Stheno wrote: »

You want to watch him, I know him from Motors :D

Cheers TBO.

Unfortunately left Swords a while back but my parents are still there and I spend of time around NCD. I actually kind of miss Swords. For all of its problems its a fantastic wee town as is the county.

Mugs, your signature picture always makes me think a TD has crashed into someone's gaf. :o

Mugs, your signature picture always makes me think a TD has crashed into someone's gaf. :o

That would be pretty interesting alright! :D

There's a bit of a love hatred of VW turbo diesels in Motors. You can take a guess which side of the fence I'm on :p Pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

*waves all the way from Belgium*

I miss NCD a little bit :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi sNarah, weatherwise you're missing nothing.

Advertisement