Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't tried the bikes, but the Boathouse Café up at Farmleigh is lovely if you cycle up that far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I haven't tried the bikes, but the Boathouse Café up at Farmleigh is lovely if you cycle up that far.

Brilliant, thanks :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

image.jpg

Source

Think this is Rush/Lusk train station. Saw them filming there with Gleeson in his priest gear. Haven't seen the film itself, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I went to see it last night & copped that. Later in the movie there's a scene at the church with Rockabill in the background.

Sligo - we want our lighthouse back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I went to see it last night & copped that. Later in the movie there's a scene at the church with Rockabill in the background.

Sligo - we want our lighthouse back! :)

[URL="[IMG]http://omg.wthax.org/5EqTbP.jpg[/IMG]"]5EqTbP.jpg[/URL]

Well at least they did not burn down the actual Church, this was filmed in the Park, at the harbour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Big shout out for JCs in Swords tonight, I went in in a post work daze, went to take some money out of the atm, picked up my few bits, paid by card, and then went to the newsagents to get fags.

Reached into my pocket to discover no money.

Now it wasn't a huge amount, but enough for me to think about it, so I went and took out more money, then decided to ask at the customer service desk if anyone had handed it in.

Well they couldn't have done more.

One of the sons of JC got the security guard to track me on cctv, then walk the exact path to check if the money was there, then he himself went off and checked the cctv for the atm.

Came back and nothing, I mentioned I'd done two withdrawals, and he went off and checked for the first one, and informed me that it looked like I never took the cash/cash didn't dispense, so I can ring the bank in the morning.

Superb service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Their customer service is second to none, I've often seen members of staff accompany elderly customers around the store to help them with their shopping.

Their customer service is second to none, I've often seen members of staff accompany elderly customers around the store to help them with their shopping.

I was amazed, I actually felt a bit embarrassed to be taking up as much of their time as I did, but because they were so thorough I'm hopefully going to get the cash back.

I do remember being on crutches, and they would stop me on the floor asking if they could help me shop, or at the checkouts asking if they could help me getting my shopping to the car.

As well as that anytime I've asked for help finding products, I've been brought directly to where it is as opposed to being pointed vaguely at aisle four.

Their butchers are also superb, I often go in there looking for unpopular cuts of meat and they know just what I am after.

However, as a weekly shop, they are expensive, I do tend to divide my shop between them and Lidl, and occasionally Supervalu, but on service they cannot be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Possibly not the right place for this and I'll probably be told to mind my own business but......

Recently our lawn needed a trim and someone remarked that two ponies in a field nearby would be delighted to spend a few hours "helping out". Apparently, the ponies are in a field which is as much mud as it is greenery. What greenery there is is very short and there is no sign of any hay or other food - in other words, they appear to be hungry.

I freely admit that I'm far from being a horse expert and may well be mistaken but, when I strolled in that direction and offered them a few handfuls of grass plucked from the opposite verge, they both approached immediately and tucked in.

Both ponies are clean and calm; the field is well fenced and the more adult pony is wearing a "coat" so they have been cared for. The younger one seems more lethargic than normal but, again, I'm no expert.

Perhaps the owners are away and underestimated the length of their absence or the amount of food required(?)

Because of my lack of expertise here and the likelihood of getting a severe (and possibly deserved) earful, I hesitate to identify the location. I'll stroll there again later today - hopefully something has been done and I'm worrying over nothing but.......what would boardies do?

This would probably be better asked in the Animal & Pets forum. Drop me a PM if you want me to move it for you.

tHB

• Advertisement

I had the same issue, but on a larger scale, up to a year ago.

Up to 20 horses were ''grazing'' on some Nama land across from my house.

the grass was non-existant, and the ground looked like we lived in a drought area.
    Every few days a van would turn up filled with stale bread someone had collected from shops, and the animals would stampede to the gate, and the bread was chucked in to them.

There was water provided in troughs, so at least they did not suffer on that front
    Neighbours reported the matter to an animal welfare group, but nothing was done.
    Last year Nama, rented the land to a Farmer, and the horses were moved on, and the fields are in crops now.

So see if they have a water supply at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

martinn123 wrote: »
    There was water provided in troughs, so at least they did not suffer on that front.

So see if they have a water supply at least.

Just walked past the field and delighted to say that both ponies were munching through a heap of hay. Santy must have been late this year!

However, I didn't see any water trough or container. Other than a few scattered houses in the area, the location is quite remote so I'll try to have a closer but discreet look for water next time.

Is it true that horses are extremely fussy about clean drinking water? As a child, my grandad told me that, if you rinsed your hands in a horse trough, the horses wouldn't drink the water. Mind you, my grandad was skilled at telling outlandish stories that "might" possibly be true!

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Just walked past the field and delighted to say that both ponies were munching through a heap of hay. Santy must have been late this year!

However, I didn't see any water trough or container. Other than a few scattered houses in the area, the location is quite remote so I'll try to have a closer but discreet look for water next time.

Is it true that horses are extremely fussy about clean drinking water? As a child, my grandad told me that, if you rinsed your hands in a horse trough, the horses wouldn't drink the water. Mind you, my grandad was skilled at telling outlandish stories that "might" possibly be true!

I was told something similar a few years ago!

On a different subject, seems I'm having a week of super service.

Today is my Friday, so we shot out to Kettles who have a deal on a Thursday of €12 for a steak (it's sirloin I think) and a glass of wine for €12

It was good not as good as the fillet I had last week though.

On the way home we dropped into Coolers in Applewood to pick up some wine. Their resident wine buff knows exactly what I like, even though I go in about once a month, and pointed me to his pick without my asking. As an infrequent customer I was well impressed with him remembering what I like and pointing me towards a recommendation!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bit of an incident there on the northbound 33 northbound, Guards were called. Thanks to the DB staff for dealing with it with common sense and professionalism.

I was at Portmarnock yesterday and it was great to see a strong garda presence at the beach. Two dog units, a squad car, a garda on a bike and a wagon.
    Prevention is better than cure, as they say :)

What in the name of all that is good have the council done at the junction on the main street where you turn left to pavillions?

If you go straight on they've put in some sort of appalling repair which is high on one side and low on the other, driving through it is horrific

I keep meaning to take a photo at sunrise, but forget. Good to see the autumn leaves, too.

What a morning, power cut, so alarm did not go off, no Cuppa, and a splash and dash in a cold shower.

Then discovered the problem, tree down outside the house, it took the ESB and Phone lines down.

Some storm...........be careful out there,.

It was a hell of a storm, talk about autumn coming in with a bang!

Anyone know what is going on in Airside this evening?

Loads of teenagers around the Wright Venue along with two cop cars doing what appears to be a checkpoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Stheno wrote: »
    Anyone know what is going on in Airside this evening?
    Loads of teenagers around the Wright Venue along with two cop cars doing what appears to be a checkpoint
    Just a normal teenager disco. Happens during all the mid terms...mid week, when they are normally closed....no alcohol allowed in. Very popular, and judging by ticket prices EUR22 pp, very lucrative. Assume gardai just ensuring all in order.

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Just a normal teenager disco. Happens during all the mid terms...mid week, when they are normally closed....no alcohol allowed in. Very popular, and judging by ticket prices EUR22 pp, very lucrative. Assume gardai just ensuring all in order.

Aha thank you :)

Never came across it before

A skerry is a small rocky island, usually defined to be too small for habitation; it may simply be a rocky reef. A skerry can also be called a low sea stack.

Skerries are most commonly formed at the outlet of fjords where submerged glacially formed valleys at right angles to the coast join with other cross valleys in a complex array. In some places near the seaward margins of fjorded areas, the ice-scoured channels are so numerous and varied in direction that the rocky coast is divided into thousands of island blocks, some large and mountainous while others are merely rocky points or rock reefs that menace navigation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skerry

Is that the origin of Skerries around here, then?

That was always what we were told as kids in school here. There was a Viking settlement here at some stage & they gave it the name from their Norse language.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

It is a common name along coasts but I never knew this until I was up around the glens of Antrim about 3 years ago. Anyone up at the NW 200 will see a Skerries caravan park in Portstewart. I also seen the in Scotland a few times this year where they referred to clusters of rocks

I was listening to a BBC report about the recent hunt for a submarine off the coast of Sweden and thought it had its own Skerries.
    What it means is that they've been searching among the islands and skerries off Stockholm for a submarine that shouldn't be there, bringing back dormant memories of the Cold War.

Now maybe someone in Skerries, NCD, has a sub. :pac:

Just flew in. By jebus the north county looks 'damp' from up there!

I've never seen so much rain :(

End of a Good Day, quick breakfast, then the 12.15 train from R&L to Dublin.
    Jeepers that train was full, so we got off at Howth Junction and changed to the Dart, lovely got a seat.

Off to the Aviva, with the eldest, for the Georgia Match

Couple of pints at a Pub corner of Bath Ave, then on to the Stadium.

Took my first " selfie" Christ it's hard to get yourself, the Stadium etc in the frame, and then tap the screen with your right hand, while holding the phone in your left.

Match was rubbish first half, so had a pint at 1/2 time, and that worked the second half was much better.

Starving after the game, so walked miles, to Milanos for a pizza, lovely,

Walked more miles for the 101, which is now under the Bridge, in Talbot St.

Dublin is not as sinister as they make it out on Joe Duffy, actually enjoyed it as I haven't been in the city Centre for ages.

So back to the grind tomorrow".... Night all.

• Advertisement

That new applegreen in Swords seems to be very busy there was a queue to get into it at lunchtime!

Advertisement