Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I meant to post this a few days ago but better late than never.

Dont forget to check in on elderley relatives and neighbours who might need a few groceries from local shop or a fire lit. A lot are afraid to go out in the frost and ice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good point.

Snow and hail really hammering down at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Had a great time in Poland. Lucky with getting there and back. Fell on my ass on the 3rd day pretty badly so I was out of action for the last two days which is a shame. But it now means I'll have to go back to give it a proper go! oh well... :)
    Martron wrote: »
    happy new year everyone.

any new years resolutions?

so thats my new rsolution to go back and start saying yes more than no. ( and beofre anyone asks me for money ..... i dont have any ha ha ha)

so happy new year everyone...... and i hope everyone will have a as great a year as i am hoping for!!!!

I'm the same, say YES to more than no. I've been doing that the last year and it's deadly!!! So I'm gonna continue doing what I'm doing. :)

Other than that, get my aches and pains sorted - by getting proper orthotics for my feet and doing pilates. And to study like a mofo for my exams. Tis gonna be tough!

Larianne wrote: »
    Had a great time in Poland.

Tis gonna be tough!

Jeaney you do have a good time....... Would you recommend it for city type break or tour? Must put it on my list

All the study will be worth it.

Krakow is good for a city break. It's quite interesting and you can go to Aushwitz (I didn't though..) and the Salt Mines which are near by. The history of the city is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

leo i was there 2 years ago. woould totally recommend it. was lovely city.

we stayed in hotel beside the castle with the dragons den.

we went out to auswitz and then the salt mines( 2 seperate days)

the market square is great. lots of great architecture

i would hold off til summer. weather will be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Krakow is great. Definitely worth going to Aushwitz, it's an experience. I'd forget the Salt Mines though (probably the longest day of my life!). Lovely city, very pretty and lots of history. We found the people very helpful and friendly too. Definitely hold off til the summer if you can, the weather was amazing when we went in August/September.

Plus cheap as chips which always helps :)

I didn't go to Aushwitz as I'd been to House 21 in Vietnam and just didn't fancy that type of experience again.

Instead, while the others went, I went on a free walking tour of Krakow, which was brilliant.

I liked the Salt Mines though. The Chapel was amazing. Although for the most part we were all laughing at the tour guide. :)

i thought the mines were fantastic. amazing in fact........ different stroke and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

i thought the mines were fantastic. amazing in fact........ different stroke and all

I think if the tour was shorter we would have enjoyed it more or if we just walked around on our own but you had to stay with the tour guide (don't know if it's still the same). It just really dragged on and ruined the whole thing for us.

• Advertisement

I am interested in photography so not sure I would go during summer, better light in Spring/Autumn.

Is Aushwitz near the city? Hotels ok?

Oh Krakow would be beautiful in Spring or Autumn.

Aushwitz is about 2 hour drive away.

Loads of hotels. I stayed in a brilliant hostel though.

LeoB wrote: »
    I am interested in photography so not sure I would go during summer, better light in Spring/Autumn.

Is Aushwitz near the city? Hotels ok?

plenty of organised bus tours. of which you can probably not only pick up a ticket in your hotel but get picked up there too.

we went in late september and it was still quite warm.

as for photograpghy. in most parts of the camp photography is a no no. but whe you go to the main camp you can take pretty insightful picture ( must route mine out)

the salt mines as you can imagine is very low light . i struggled to get good picture there but it really is a fantastic place

Trying to save some of my leave for September so hopefully I can manage a few days.

you really wont be disappointed.

Did anyone see the state of the roads on R.T.E news this evening? Carlow is in an awful state. How are the roads in your area and what will happen as a result of council cutbacks and budget constraints?

We are in for a bumpy ride;)

pretty bad alright.

the speed bumps in rush are disintegrating too. but thats been happening a while.

cant wait to see how the fix the roads. my guess is some lazy so and so with cold tar.

bumpy ride........ have you bumped you head??? ha ha ha

was just talking to a friend of mine and we were trying to think of the amount of accounts we have linked by name and password. i am not sure if boards have a thread already about this.

basically after my friend said that he had the same email and password for different accounts we began listing all the password we might want to change

amazon
    ebay
    itunes
    email
    other forums

just in case anyone hads not changed these . you can add to this is if think of aymore

martin

pretty bad alright.

the speed bumps in rush are disintegrating too. but thats been happening a while.

cant wait to see how the fix the roads. my guess is some lazy so and so with cold tar.

bumpy ride........ have you bumped you head??? ha ha ha

I actually didnt realise how bad these were until you mentioned it.

Judging by the cuts in funding to local authorities dont be suprised if we see an increase in Road Tax. How are they going to repair the roads or more to the point where are they going to start? I would say some of the lads sent out with Tar are mortified knowing full well they will be back after another few showers.

Talking to a driver at work during the week he said the roads out this way are far superior to where he lives, Kildare. His local roads, HE SAYS are like a slalom course.

Anyway went into Dublin the other night on a Boards photo walk. This Photo is my best effort. The change along the docks is just amazing with some wonderful work being done. Probably could do with a decent retail outlet of or some sort of people park to attract more people down that way. Its a far cry from when I worked In Sherriff St Post Office around 1990. Well worth a stroll if you get a few spare minutes

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4304441619_4b2ef1d820.jpg[/EMAIL]">

There are better images on the Boards Photography forum, follow link to night time walk

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LeoB wrote: »

Judging by the cuts in funding to local authorities dont be suprised if we see an increase in Road Tax.

Road Tax? What's that? There's no such tax in Ireland (I presume you mean Motor Tax:))

The roads in North County were already poor, but they have disintegtated further as a result of the recent cold spell. The repairs that are being done are of poor quality, and will not last (as the ice will have penetrated the surrounds of the potholes it's only a matter of time before the roads break-up further)

They should have diverted some of the funding from the new Motorways that will hardly get used to get some of the existing roads up to some kind of standard. As it is I will continue to risk life and limb on my 50km+ return cycling commute.

• Advertisement

thats a controversial thing to say about the motorways. as you know there will be someone to say something how we need motorways blah blah blah ( besides i think the source of that money is for development rather that maintainance)

i have experience in road building and in my opinion they are going about the temporary repairs all the wrong way.

for example at the traffic lights between the centra and the theatre there is a gaping hole which has been repaired a few times.

as for the rest of the town there is noting that really sticks out bar the speed bumps but they are still performing as speed bumps so i would not be too worried.

firstly you need experienced contractors to repair the roads. i know the lads with the councils are experienced but we need something more permanent.( surely there must be plenty out there now t5hat could do it at an extremely competitve rate)

anyway instead of keep coming back to the same hole and filling it with temporary tar . you close down one side of the the road for about 100m ( at night) plane out all the bad spots. and reinstate with proper material.

now i know what leo is saying with budget cuts but its hardly makes financial sense refilling a hole that you know has to be refilled 3 days later.

and on roads where there is more serious conditions and a fatal accident happens ....... no amount of budget is going to fix that.

nice pic by the way leo. what camera have you got. just picked up a 50mm lens myself the other day. have a little project in mind.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am not saying don't bulid motorways where they are needed, and when they can be afforded - However, what's the point of building new infrastructure when we cannot afford the proper upkeep of the infrastructure that's already in place? We are just contributing to an even larger public deficit (and potholes:))

ah i know you were not. but what i am saying is that that money is european money given for the motorways. its not tranferable to the maintainance of other roads.

we should get motorways while the money is there.

i agree with you thought that the roads need fixing.

The whole bleeding place need sfixing....... out with the goverment!!!!!!

just kidding its just something else for us irish to moan about.

sure i was reading that the water leaking problem in dublin all in is going to cost 300mil to fix!!

so there is a lot of fixing to do.

Ok Beasty Motor Tax it is!!

Sort of agree with putting a hold on building anymore Motorways for about 5 years. We really need a serious works programme on what we have. Some of our main roads are not that bad if they were upgraded in certain spots and also a concerted effort to stop speeding.

Driving along most roads there is a build up of mud along the verges as much as a foot in places. If this was kept back and the cuttings for excess water were kept clear it would be a starting point. The verge markings are also invisible in a lot of places so perhaps we should look at some basic housekeeping before we invest any more money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mona Lott

....so the NCT was brought in to get to bring the standard of vehicles up to a European standard

So how about bringing a NRT (National Roads Test) in to match the hard pressed driver? Only trouble is we would be stoney broke in no time

don't know about the recent freezing spell but went to Portlaoise on saturday and some of the country's rural roads are seriously bad

Saw Fingal out yesterday with the few lads filling in holes with tar. I feel sorry for them lads. Most people just laugh.

Why dont Fingal have a week when they say right lads we will clean all the drains and clear ditch's in flood prone areas. Then we will open open all the cuttings to let the water escape.

As for the road markings, why do we use that horrible Yellow? After a few weeks its so dirty you cant see it. The other day I saw this lefthand drive lorry, the street sweep one, going around cleaning the side of the roads like years ago and it left a line of of muck behind.

Still have not seen the drains along the street being cleaned and most at this stage are blocked which is causing a right mess outside peoples houses.

the colours of the lines are down to a european standard leo. and i would imagine there is some standard that also dictates how cloean the roads have to be. but as you can imagine the yellow ines would work if the roads are clean.

i do ( as always ) have one gripe. being a construction worker myself it boils my blood to see a tractor pull out of a field ........ ( opposite my house) and trail muck up the road after it.

if i did this at work i would have to gardai knockin on my office door. ( has happened)

it does not take long to pick off the main debris with a shovel. and if i had to do it , why not farmers?

P.s. Just back from new york........ that place is amazing!!

the colours of the lines are down to a european standard leo. and i would imagine there is some standard that also dictates how cloean the roads have to be. but as you can imagine the yellow ines would work if the roads are clean.

i do ( as always ) have one gripe. being a construction worker myself it boils my blood to see a tractor pull out of a field ........ ( opposite my house) and trail muck up the road after it.

if i did this at work i would have to gardai knockin on my office door. ( has happened)

it does not take long to pick off the main debris with a shovel. and if i had to do it , why not farmers?

P.s. Just back from new york........ that place is amazing!!

The white border road marking used up the north seem to be better in that they are more visable at night.

Some of the roads around here are terrible with the build up of muck and I have no doubt cars skidding on this muck have caused a few accidents.

Jeasus just back from N.Y and me looking for a sync lead for my camera........ Have to get there for a few hours browsing in Adorama and B and H Photo and video. Heaven

B and H was amazing........... i did not end up getting much there as there was too much choice and i could not decide what to get. so i got a nice filter kit.

new york is amazing.

must look through the pics hope there is some good ones. central park is under 6 inches of snow and very spectacular looking

• Advertisement

B & H and Adorama are my 2 favourite photographic shops that I have yet to set foot in. A look at their either site makes me cringe with envy. The price of good lens is just amazing. Altough in Fairness the Irish shops have become a little more competitive these past few months but nothing like as cheap as N.Y or Hunts in Boston.

What Filter set did you get? I got 2 N.D filters back from there before christmas and saved about €60.

Next purchase Canon 70-200 f2,8 IS USM $1,799 in N.Y or Boston while in Dublin its €1,999 in Conn's which works out about €650 of a saving.

Now I must convince my wife its worth it;)

Advertisement