Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista ultimate license 32 & 64bit?

• 16-07-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I've got Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit on my laptop, it's a fully licensed version. Here's my question, if i remove it from my laptop, will my 32bit license work with a 64bit version? I know i've only got one license, therefore can only run one machine with it, but i'm just curious to see if there's a chance i can use my current ultimate build on my new rig.
    Cheers,
    Alan.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hey guys,
    I've got Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit on my laptop, it's a fully licensed version. Here's my question, if i remove it from my laptop, will my 32bit license work with a 64bit version? I know i've only got one license, therefore can only run one machine with it, but i'm just curious to see if there's a chance i can use my current ultimate build on my new rig.
    Cheers,
    Alan.

Not unless its a retail version, if its a oem version of vista, you will need to buy the 64Bit version, also a oem copy will be tied to that laptop, so it wont even install on another machine more than likely, and if it does, probably not activate, oem licenses are motherboard bound

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

yoyo wrote: »
    Not unless its a retail version, if its a oem version of vista, you will need to buy the 64Bit version, also a oem copy will be tied to that laptop, so it wont even install on another machine more than likely, and if it does, probably not activate, oem licenses are motherboard bound

Nick

Thanks for the response. Well here's the thing, i bought my laptop with xp pro installed, and decided to install a copy of Ultimate i had for a while, as a trial, expecting to run it for 30 days. But somehow my pc automatically licensed itself, didn't have to do a thing. The copy wasn't cracked in any way or anything. Clearly i was delighted by it, but i'm wondering if i can push my luck and use the license key i now have to reinstall on another dell.

Thanks for the response. Well here's the thing, i bought my laptop with xp pro installed, and decided to install a copy of Ultimate i had for a while, as a trial, expecting to run it for 30 days. But somehow my pc automatically licensed itself, didn't have to do a thing. The copy wasn't cracked in any way or anything. Clearly i was delighted by it, but i'm wondering if i can push my luck and use the license key i now have to reinstall on another dell.

Did you use a Dell OEM disc to install Vista Ultimate? If so then it detected that you were installing it on a matching Dell machine so activated itself. You still don't have a licence to use it but it technically works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yeah, the key will work on a 64bit install dvd

Advertisement