Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Franks RedHot Sauce

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Reading these posts I bought a bottle in dunnes the other day.
    I am disappointed with the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Reading these posts I bought a bottle in dunnes the other day.
    I am disappointed with the results.
    how did you do the wings? assuming you used them to make buffalo wings obviously. :)

ew buffalo wings.
    The sauce isn't spicy.
    It just tastes like sugar and salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ew buffalo wings.
    The sauce isn't spicy.
    It just tastes like sugar and salt.
    not sure what the "ew" means, did you make wings or not? or did you even make the sauce properly -i.e. with butter as per instructions, seems a few in this thread just used it neat/raw on stuff and are unimpressed, which is not surprising -raw chicken wings wouldn't be great either ;)

The sauce is not that spicy which was already mentioned, it is very mild compared to a lot of chilli sauces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

For the record some of us like it neat. Culinery highlight of xmas was a drizzling of franks on cold turkey ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Speaking of hot sauces: I picked up two bottles of Lingham's for €1 in the Asia Market (Drury St.) this week. The catch? Expiry dates. The standard Chilli sauce I got expires at the end of January, while the Chilli Garlic* expired at the end of last November. Considering what's in the bottles, though, I think there's a decent margin of error on the expiry dates ... :cool:

* there's one more catch: the bottles are labeled in Malay, so while "Sos Chili" is easy enough, I didn't find out what "Dengan Halia" meant till I got home! You can pick up some real bargains in the Asia Market, if you don't treat expiry dates as hard cutoffs and are willing to try things you've never heard of before.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I tried that Linghams Chilli garlic sauce before,i got serious heartburn and found it very repetitive after eating,i only bought it once.

Might be better in stirfries,i only used it as dipper/splasher.

rubadub wrote: »
    not sure what the "ew" means, did you make wings or not? or did you even make the sauce properly -i.e. with butter as per instructions, seems a few in this thread just used it neat/raw on stuff and are unimpressed, which is not surprising -raw chicken wings wouldn't be great either ;)

The sauce is not that spicy which was already mentioned, it is very mild compared to a lot of chilli sauces.

i don't like chicken wings.

i don't like chicken wings.
    what did you put it on then and how did you cook them/it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Its nice on pizza if you dont like wings. I had both for dinner this week with franks :D

• Advertisement

it goes well with egg dishes too, omelettes and scramble and that kind of thing.

i found that out from watching man v food and other US TV shows where you occasionally spot a bottle of franks being used in the wild. :)

also, if you just don't like wings, but do like chicken in general (some people don't like the bones etc.) you can get de-boned chicken thighs cut into strips and coked the same way, which taste just as good (better imho), just with no bones.

your friendly neighbourhood butcher will de-bone them for you if you ask nicely. :)

So you're supposed to heat/cook the sauce?

Doesn't that make it more a marinade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

YOu can, or you can use it from the bottle. Its all about personal taste. their website have a ton of recipes for it

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

why is this thread still in bargain alerts, the sauce is available everywhere now.
    soundnt this be in some food forum

Doesn't that make it more a marinade?
    no, because you don't put it on until after the wings are cooked.

it's primary use the world over is as the secret ingredient in the original buffalo wings, which is why it's so popular.

the other secret ingredient (and the only other thing in the basic recipe) is melted butter).

the 'official' elephant & castle chicken wings thread is the place to go for the full story. until page 5 tho, nobody even knew what was in it, so there's a few failed imitations on the first few pages.

i've linked to page 5 tho for convenience, where someone first mentions franks. :)

some people like the vinegary flavour and some don't, so that just dictates how you prepare it.

my wife doesn't like the bones and gristle in chicken wings, so i make it with strips of chicken thigh instead for boneless wings that still have the same good juicy dark meat as wings but without the bones.

so you just deep fry or bake your wings/thighs and whilst that's going on you cook out your butter and franks to the consistency you like and then toss the wings/thighs in your sauce and serve. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

I pass this in the shop the whole time and there are two different times, the wings one and the original.

Ive a question for those who may have eaten the wings in the Woolshed bar in Dublin, is this the same sauce they use? if it it im buying it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

cronin_j wrote: »
    I pass this in the shop the whole time and there are two different times, the wings one and the original.

Ive a question for those who may have eaten the wings in the Woolshed bar in Dublin, is this the same sauce they use? if it it im buying it..

It is indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the wings one and the original.
    Get the original and add butter as per instructions on the bottle. The wings one has some fake butter substitute added already -and gets poor reviews compared to the original.

rubadub wrote: »
    Get the original and add butter as per instructions on the bottle. The wings one has some fake butter substitute added already -and gets poor reviews compared to the original.
    ditto. the only reason to get the wings one is if you aren't able to melt butter in a pan yourself and if that's the case, you really shouldn't be making chicken wings. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It is indeed.

Aww I love this stuff then.. think you just made my week and its only 30 mins into Monday!!

• Advertisement

Aww I love this stuff then.. think you just made my week and its only 30 mins into Monday!!
    check my post from the top of the page with a link to a thread in the food & drink forum all about the best way to cook them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭coffee to go

This Irish blogger's recently put up a post for a buffalo chicken pizza, with Franks as the key ingredient:

http://glutenfreephotos.blogspot.com/

Pizza.jpg

Looks like a serious nom attack and a nice alternative to the aul wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

They've finally starting selling this in the Dunnes in Eyre Square in Galway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

They've finally starting selling this in the Dunnes in Eyre Square in Galway :D

They've always had Frank's in Dunnes on the Headford Road! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

They've always had Frank's in Dunnes on the Headford Road! :)

I know but I'm lazy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 popcorn1986

Most amazing sauce in the world lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I put that **** on everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

biko wrote: »
    I put that **** on everything :)

Even rice crispies?? :P

I have to work my diet around Franks. Spread it on toast, have it all over fish fingers for brekkie, but the real flavour comes out when mixed with melted butter and poured over wings.

I regularly open the bottle, from the fridge, and just take a lung-full, gets me giddy. It's magic, plain and simple.

Super Valu in Navan usually have t but are out atm, some order issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

I got 12 bottles last time it was E1.99 in Galway - good to know its now also available at Eyre Square - Used 1 bottle watching the Super Bowl yest - Wings was a must ofcourse. I think I still got 8 bottles left, so this should keep me alive until the next sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

rh5555 wrote: »
    I got 12 bottles last time it was E1.99 in Galway.
    Wow, that's cheap! Where and when was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

A few months back - i think nov/dec. timeframe. They usually reduce it from the normal E2.99 to E1.99 every few months for 1-2 weeks. It will happen again - just a matter of time. That was in Dunnes I should say.

Franks for free!!! In stores now - Just post them back the promo collar and your receipt. One per household. Bargainomnomnomnom :pac:

FxCam_1297263716550.jpg?t=1297264081

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Franks sauce is horrible. Seen it pop up here so much I gave it a go, wish I hadn't bothered.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Franks for free!!! In stores now - Just post them back the promo collar and your receipt. One per household. Bargainomnomnomnom :pac:

Where did you get that?

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Where did you get that?

Dunnes!

• Advertisement

Franks sauce is horrible. Seen it pop up here so much I gave it a go, wish I hadn't bothered.:cool:
    you're doing it wrong. :)

and i'm pretty sure you're using the wrong smiley too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

I am in franks heaven :-) Just picked up a bottle in Superquinn Rathgar, the buffalo one. Did the butter mix thing, amazing! Superquinn have the offer for the free bottle as well so even better :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I am in franks heaven :-) Just picked up a bottle in Superquinn Rathgar, the buffalo one. Did the butter mix thing, amazing! Superquinn have the offer for the free bottle as well so even better :-)

Get the Original, and "Do the butter mix thing." Much nicer!

What I've done is after frying the wings, and dunking in the sauce, whap them into the over to dry the sauce into them a bit.

Omfomfomf nomnomnom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paddykelly6

Hey can anyone recommend where to find a good blue cheese dip?

Ive been making my own but it's too much hassle / wastage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

too much hassle?

The wings are the hassle part,the blue cheese is the easy part.

Bit of blue cheese(danish is good)
    One or two big spoons of sour cream(depending on how many ppl)
    Same again of Mayo,once again,depending on how much u want.
    Tiny bit of garlic, and i mean tiny!

Blend....DONE!!!!

Homemade is much much nicer than any pre-made ****e you'll pick up!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paddykelly6

Yeah I've been making mine with Blue Cheese, Sour Cream, Cream Cheese and Garlic.

Problem is I never have any of these ingredients (bar garlic) around the house, I've got to buy them each time and they're gona off by the time Im making the wings again!

I know I could try freeze the leftover dip but again hassle to defrost and prob only good for a month at best. Just wondering if there are any decent supermarket options out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Or just eat wings everyday for a week :pac:
    Yeah I've been making mine with Blue Cheese, Sour Cream, Cream Cheese and Garlic.

Problem is I never have any of these ingredients (bar garlic) around the house, I've got to buy them each time and they're gona off by the time Im making the wings again!

I know I could try freeze the leftover dip but again hassle to defrost and prob only good for a month at best. Just wondering if there are any decent supermarket options out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

Well worth the effort to make your own while wings are cooking! Yummee, not allowing myself a wingfest until I lose another 4 lbs in WW.

Ingredients:
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons finely minced onion
    1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
    1/4 cup finely minced fresh parsley
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 cup crumbled blue cheese

Directions:
    Mix ingredients together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Go for it and put into an airtight container, good for a dip with veggie crudites when you feel guilty after a wingfest.

if you just want something cheap, cheerful and ridiculously easy, you can make a blue cheese dip better than most shop bought ones with nothing more than a bit of crumbed blue cheese and some mayo, just watering it down slightly to make it a little runnier.

i've tried a heap of different homemade dips methods, but this is by far the easiest and definitely the only one i can be arsed to do at short notice with very little in the fridge. :D

it works equally well with roasted garlic (stick a few cloves in the oven, skin on till they start to brown, then squeeze out of the skin & mash into the dip), roasted chilli (same method as with garlic), fresh chives, dill, lemon, capers or anything else you fancy with a crack of pepper.

just gradually water down the mayo to dip consistency and use your imagination. :)

it really couldn't be any easier and it works surprisingly well. we've tried cream cheese, sour cream, greek yoghurt and allsorts, but watery mayo does the trick every time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

http://www.micschilli.ie/

This Irish company that makes chili sauce was on RTE this evening.
    "The story of Mic's Chilli and Mic's change from structural engineer to chilli entrepreneur, will be featured on Nationwide on RTE1 at 7pm on the 23rd of March."

Haven't tried, but gonna keep an eye out in the supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I grabbed a few bottle of there stuff a week ago.

The 2 pepper one is bout the hotness of franks but luckly their ones go all the way upto " With 12 Habanero Chillies" versions

GtpwM.jpg

INFERNO SAUCE EXTREME:

Judgement day for chilli lovers. Warning: Even the most hardcore chilli fans will find this scoundrel hot! With 12 Habanero Chillies, this really isn't for the uninitiated!
    http://www.micschilli.ie/

This Irish company that makes chili sauce was on RTE this evening.
    "The story of Mic's Chilli and Mic's change from structural engineer to chilli entrepreneur, will be featured on Nationwide on RTE1 at 7pm on the 23rd of March."

Haven't tried, but gonna keep an eye out in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

Tried the Extreme, yep it's the real deal. Still burning! ;)

They've got a link to the Nationwide piece on their Facebook page (it's at the beginning of the program) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mics-Chilli/129969363721463

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Franks Red Hot Sauce is going to be €2 in superquinn from wednesday.

also if anybody is interested, Frank makes an appearance in the latest Epic Meal Time episode:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you just want something cheap, cheerful and ridiculously easy, you can make a blue cheese dip better than most shop bought ones with nothing more than a bit of crumbed blue cheese and some mayo, just watering it down slightly to make it a little runnier.

i've tried a heap of different homemade dips methods, but this is by far the easiest and definitely the only one i can be arsed to do at short notice with very little in the fridge. :D

it works equally well with roasted garlic (stick a few cloves in the oven, skin on till they start to brown, then squeeze out of the skin & mash into the dip), roasted chilli (same method as with garlic), fresh chives, dill, lemon, capers or anything else you fancy with a crack of pepper.

just gradually water down the mayo to dip consistency and use your imagination. :)

it really couldn't be any easier and it works surprisingly well. we've tried cream cheese, sour cream, greek yoghurt and allsorts, but watery mayo does the trick every time now.

a mixture of mayo, sour cream (or creme fraiche) and a healthy squeeze of lemon juice with some (plenty) crumbed blue cheese does the job for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement