Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Franks RedHot Sauce

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Tesco Cavan.

Not like a Cavan man to appreciate a bargain lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Raiser wrote: »
    The only place mentioned on the thread where you could buy this in Limerick has just closed down recently.

- Anyone know of anywhere in Limerick that its available?

Plenty of bottles on the shelves this week in Dunnes Jetland in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

greenie wrote: »
    Which area Raoul? Wouldn't mind trying this flavour out:)

I saw them in Fallon and Byrne on Wicklow St in Dublin Greenie.
    http://www.fallonandbyrne.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭sparktest

Have been using this hot sauce since some server in Elephant and castle pointed me to Meadows&B...

Quick query, anyone seen or bought similar blue cheese sauce served in E&C?

ta.

Sparktest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I got a giant bottle in Florida last week for $2.99 in a wholesaler.

Woo hoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

There are always tonnes of bottles of Franks in Dunnes Carlow.
    only have 6 wings to cook tonight
    so ive made a sauce.
    1 large chilli ( seeds included )
    peppercorns
    olive oil
    3 cloves of garlic
    some tomato puree
    will brown off the chicken first on the hob
    then add some finely chopped onion and garlic.
    once the chicken is cooked ill add the sauce and stick it in a heated oven
    but before placing in the oven ill add a coating of franks sauce.

ill report back how it tastes when its cooked

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

To those who like to boil their chicken first - try my secret trick.
    Either marinade overnight or boil your chicken pieces first in - COCA COLA.
    It's been a secret of mine for ages now - everyone loves 'Simon's Secret Sticky Wings'.
    It involves marinading the wings (in a plastic bag) in Coke, Oyster Sauce, Chili Sauce (Franks these days - it used to be Tabasco), Sesame Oil, Liquid Smoke (if you can get some), Paprika, ginger, garlic and some of the beer that you're drinking at the time. Then the next day, throw the wings on the barby (yep, I'm Aussie), or put under the grill or in the oven. Meanwhile, reduce the leftover marinade in a small pot. The marinade ends up being hot, sweet and sticky (just how I like my women) - then pour over the wings and eat.
    Otherwise, just do the Franks and butter baste.
    You'll be suprised how it tastes. No cola flavour at all - just dark, sweet and hot (mmmm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

just a quick catch up.
    ate the wings, were lovely.
    would have been alot better if they were marinaded over night, but the chicken had to be used tonight and i only thought about spicing them up after they were left out of the chicken caserole that I also had for dinner.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the coca cola (or dr. pepper in some places) thing is a popular one for anything bbq'd in certain parts of the US.

it works really well with racks of ribs too if you slow cook them for about 3-4 hours just in the coca cola and your choice of other bbq type ingredients (any or all of the following to your own taste: franks, worcestershire sauce, mustard, honey, red wine vinegar, muscavado sugar, red sauce, garlic, sweet chilli sauce, hot chilli powder or flakes, smoked paprika). it's kinda weird though seeing the colour disappear out of the liquid as it soaks into the ribs and leave a clear(ish) liquid behind. i would then drain them and reduce all the juices down in a pan with the other ingredients and then continue to cook the ribs and baste them with the reduced liquor every 10-15 minutes until a thick sticky coating develops.

also, if you go into your local supermarket or butchers they can most likely order you in a full rack with all the good meat still on them instead of those skinny yokes you usually get and you can cut them into individual thick rib steaks.

hmmm, riiiibs. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭andy winter

Is this offer still on??

Is this offer still on??
    it's pretty much always on special offer somewhere or other and people keep learning about how good franks is and gravitatign towards the thread. there's an even bigger thread about it (titled "Elephant & Castle chicken wings") in the food & drink forum. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Not a bargain - but maybe of interest to one of you fanatics who can't find this stuff:
    Centra in Crosshvanen has it - price is an saucy €3.95 though (or 3.45 for the "wings" edition.)

Lotta BBQ's got fired up today..... glorious.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dee101

Sorry wrong thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Dunnes Sligo has the original for E1.99 again - sorry didn't check for how long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

rh5555 wrote: »
    Dunnes Sligo has the original for E1.99 again - sorry didn't check for how long

Yeah same in Ashbourne, picked up 5 bottles..... didnt want to be greedy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw it in superquinn blackrock last week and it had a sign up with a percentage off, I think it was 33% off and the price on the shelf said €2.99, I am not familiar with superquinn and was not sure if this price already had the money off, but it is usually 2.99 elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw it in superquinn blackrock last week and it had a sign up with a percentage off, I think it was 33% off and the price on the shelf said €2.99, I am not familiar with superquinn and was not sure if this price already had the money off, but it is usually 2.99 elsewhere

no it's 33% off that i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

this was charlstown dunnes on saturday..

got one of each, dont think i like the wings mixture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

this was charlstown dunnes on saturday..

got one of each, dont think i like the wings mixture

the hot sauce>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the wings imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

This thread reminded me that Frank's Hot Sauce did seem to be MIA for a while next year but now it's back. It's good to see that. I like making buffalo wings every once in a while and Frank's does the business. I got a recipe for hot wing sauce that includes putting melted butter and a sachet of Italian salad dressing mix. I've found you can't get these here but I have a few that I got in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Saw this in Dunnes in Citywest yesterday - e2.40 per bottle which seemed like a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fuzzball

loads of the stuff in stock in super value glanmire. Had to buy it after reading this thread.
    a real crowd pleaser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I just made some last night, you have to drink beer with them! A great sauce to stock up on. I hope supplies are still widely available. The last time I was in Dunnes, Charlestown, Finglas, the stocks were starting to run low.

Great to hear they've reduced the price, time to stock up again as I hear the World Cup is starting soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monkey brain

thanks for that but do you know do they sell the big containers of it? i need it for catering, only starting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

Hi there,
    I was in Musgraves in Dublin this week and they have it in large containers. They also have a cheaper version (Luisanna something) not sure how it tastes though. Having some pals over at the weekend, can't wait to taste them again. Enjoy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monkey brain

Hi,

Thats great, where is musgraves? do you need a cash n carry card or anything? they are lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

dont use chicken legs ;-( they had no wings left last night and decided to use fresh drumsticks... worst idea ever

stick with free range wings,

d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Hey guys, anyone know where to get decent wings?

Like the type/size you get in places like the Elephent and Castle etc...

Tesco were useless, only had dodgy double jointed "wings" that are massive.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

dar83 wrote: »

Cheers.

Just chop em in half.. Thats what I did... They look alot bigger than they are..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

dar83 wrote: »

Cheers.

Those are normal wings. You're supposed to cut them at the joint which gives you a drumstick part and a flatter wing part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Yeah thats what I did anyway, thanks fella's. :)

Was just wondering if there were handier ones out there that I was missing, not that it's a major deal chopping them in half or anything, haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

saw this stuff in superquinn waterford today at regular prices

Anyone knows if Franks is available anywhere in Galway? I had just gotten Franks into 2 stores in Sligo after a few months talking to the importers. Unfortunately I had to move (Galway is a great city - I mean Frank's wise) and now I seem to have to start over again. Checked Dunnes in Galway and nothing.
    Maybe i have to contact importer again and try to get it in Galway somewhere unless someone knows a place within the city (no car)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

dunnes stores westside has lots :)

Awesome, only checked Dunnes Eyre Square and the new Dunnes (whatever the place is called - next to KFC) and they didn't have it. But all I need is 1 store close by:)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

:)
    Hi,

Thats great, where is musgraves? do you need a cash n carry card or anything? they are lovely!

Musgraves is in Ballymun industrial estate at the back of IKEA - you do need a cash and carry card, but if you need catering amounts you probably should get one.

They also have boxes of great "knuckle" wings without the joint for ease of use. Enjoy!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I agree with you all, I've found it difficult to get nice wings lately. Tescos rarely do them. It usually means a long drive for me out to Dunnes in Blanch or Charlestown. Though at least these Dunnes usually have Franks.

I did try the drumsticks the last time and thought they werre OK. I made a batch of them & put them in the freezer with the sauce on them. I'm not sure if I did the right thing, by freezing the sauce so not sure how that will work out.

You know how it is, you get the longing for some Franks and chicken wings, and would like to have some made up already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

You all need to get on good terms with your local butchers, theyll look after you better than your supermarkets ;)

Disclaimer: I am not a butcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Agreed, local butcher will sort ye out and very cheap too

i keep saying it, but nobody seems to be listening. don't use wings, get chicken thighs instead and take out the bone and cut them into 2-3 strips and use those instead.

same great meat you get on a wing but with no bones.

ask your butcher nicely and he'll do the filleting for you too, so no fuss at all.

I've been buying big 7kg boxes of thighs from my local meat wholesaler who has a small butchers on the side and they take out the bones for me for free and i just split them up into bags and freeze them and use them in whatever chicken recipes I need them for, from fajita's to stir fries and everything in between.

much nicer meat than breast too and dirt cheap and perfect as a boneless alternative to wings, either skin on for that crispiness or tossed in a little flour and cornflour (or both). ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

vibe666 wrote: »
    same great meat you get on a wing but with no bones.

I dont know if I didnt have a dinner plate stacked 3 deep with bones I would feel cheated :D;)

Sagat06 wrote: »
    I dont know if I didnt have a dinner plate stacked 3 deep with bones I would feel cheated :D;)
    did i mention that you'll get more meat for less money? ;)

2 of the supermarket wing packs for €2.49-€2.99 will just about fill me and the missus at a push if we're having a wing feast, but we're both stuffed full to bursting and struggle to finish the contents of a single €5 supermarket boneless thigh pack (when you can find them) or 2 'bone in' thigh packs as there's a lot more meat in them.

the only downside to the boneless packs is that there's no skin, but you can't have everything. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

vibe666 wrote: »

the only downside to the boneless packs is that there's no skin, but you can't have everything. :)

but the crispy skin is the best bit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

If you cook the wings right and know the trick it's easy to de-bone the wings.

NO CRISPY SKIN!!!!!!!!!
    What is the point in that!!!!!!!!
    Beano wrote: »
    but the crispy skin is the best bit!!

Sagat06 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Don't know if it's still considered a rare find, but Dunnes, in the Square Tallaght have the original and Buffalo in stock

If you cook the wings right and know the trick it's easy to de-bone the wings.

NO CRISPY SKIN!!!!!!!!!
    What is the point in that!!!!!!!!
    i've no problem with that, it's just nicer not to have to do it and you get more meat (and bigger chunks of it) with thighs.

if you're happy to de-bone the thighs before you cook them they're far superior to wings and you can leave the skin on for the extra crispy bit, but if you flour the skinless ones you still get heaps of franks sticking to them and they're still pretty good and crispy, just no skin. :(

well, it's official (sort of) "Franks Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce" is the best hot sauce (overall) in the world. :D

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/video-how-to/how-to-cook/supermarket-101-grocery-store-tips/taste-test-the-best-hot-sauces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭oil painting

Hi Is there anywhere on line that i could get franks hot sauce, i have moved to Conemara and i only have one bottle left Eeeeek! I would love to get a big massive bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BrotMonster

Just bought a bottle of Franks Hot Sauce in Dunnes on Earl Street (near the spire). They had the original and chicken wing versions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement