Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High milage bike would you buy one?

• 16-07-2009 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests I'm looking for opinions on buying a high milage 50,000+.
    Would you buy one if it had full service history and was a well looked after Japanese machine with a bullet proof reputation. Or would you wait and spend more on a low milage yoke with no history.
    I must say at the right money I'd be tempted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I wouldnt count 50000 as high milage. Fair enough a 1 year old 125 with 50000 would be a tad much. Milage wouldnt bother me at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

High milage if it's serviced properly fine. especially with tourers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Wouldn't bother me if the bike has been looked after, especially if it has a great reputation like you say.

Which bike is it out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Makes no odds if it was cared for, sometimes low mileage bikes especially some of the older strokers suffered dry bearing broblems if lying up for any length of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What bike is it? and what is the mileage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Probably means it was being used a lot - which (as long as it's serviced regularly) means that it'd be in better condition than a lot of low mileage bikes that are not set up for long periods of no use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Interesting answers. Glad to see no one thinks its stupid to buy something with more than average use. For those wondering its a SV650 carrying 54000 miles. I'm looking at it tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

there grand bikes. Best of luck with her if ya get it

Interesting answers. Glad to see no one thinks its stupid to buy something with more than average use. For those wondering its a SV650 carrying 54000 miles. I'm looking at it tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

I had one and put about 22000k on it (from new) in a year.

How old is the one you are looking at?

If you want real user info on the sv, I recommend searching forums.sv650.org.
    There are folks there that do high and low mileage and will tell you exactly what to look out for with each model.

Wasn't the one for me in the end. It had been laying up a year or more and the brakes were sticking plus the breaklight wasn't coming on from front break lever and a few other things that looked like it could cost a few pound to put right. It would suit someone who could do it themselves. I'm sure theres a decent bike there for someone mechanically minded. The hunt continues

• Advertisement

would you like a sv1000? :) The sv's are cracking bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

+1 on the SV's

Its unfortunate that Suzuki replaced them with this heap of shoite :

attachment.php?attachmentid=106792&stc=1&d=1240912964

I think its aimed at the ladies, but I don't know why. I haven't found one that actually likes it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Has no resale value so i'd say-no!

nereid wrote: »
    would you like a sv1000? :) The sv's are cracking bike.

Too steep on the old insurance I'm afraid!!

Was in bikeworld today and admittedly I haven't kept abreast of recent bike development but fcuk me what are they producing now. Whats with all the droopy headlights and angular styling. Saw that yoke thats pictured earlier that and the Kwacker Z750/1000's and the zx's look awfull imo.
    Give me a 2000 zx6r or bandit over what they make now any day.

if you don't like angular styling you are in for a hard time in picking any recent bike i'm afraid.
    Apart from the recent blade of course, but that's another story.
    Did you try insurance on the sv? Mine is ludicrously cheap and droping. Are you on a provisional and restricted? If you are, go for a factory restricted sv650 - much better than a inline 4 thanks to the torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

the mileage isnt that important if the bike is well kept and not ridden by an idiot!...I have a 00 bandit600 with nearly 46,000 miles on it and it rides brilliant....most suzukis and kwackers are pretty dependible especially the bandits and z's so i'd take it out for a ride and prob go for it.....no worries:eek:

nereid wrote: »
    Are you on a provisional and restricted? If you are, go for a factory restricted sv650 - much better than a inline 4 thanks to the torque.
    are you mad. The sv650 when restricted is horrible. Even full power I wouldnt like em. Bit of torque, shag all power. Cbr 250 over sv650 any day. Overall better bike. Yeah they old. Way ahead of time. Depends what ya want though.

seanybiker wrote: »
    are you mad. The sv650 when restricted is horrible. Even full power I wouldnt like em. Bit of torque, shag all power. Cbr 250 over sv650 any day. Overall better bike. Yeah they old. Way ahead of time. Depends what ya want though.
    I'd never say the sv is horrible - even drove it (FR) around mondello! I can only compare against the Factory Restricted pointy 650 which I had for a year and as far as I remember, the cbr250 is not "learner legal" so if we are only counting like with like then your argument doesn't apply. However, on track i'd agree with you - on long journeys the 250 will show it's weakness.

The torque of the restricted sv is almost as much as the torque of an unrestricted bandit, that is just the nature of twins. The nature of twins also is that they deliver less power than an equivalent sized inline 4, but they deliver more torque. Power is restricted by the learner permit, not torque, therefore the restriction on the sv only impacts it above 120kmph.
    the 0-100 time of the restricted 650 vs the unrestricted one is about a second, whereas the bandit is greater - heading 2.5-3s of a difference.

All restricted bikes are impaired in the 100-140kmph roll on and I'll agree that the sv is sluggish in this territory compared to an IL4.

The main reason for these differences is that the SV is restricted in the ECU whereas the bandit is restricted in the air intakes for the carbs so it is effectively unrestricted below 6000rpm whereas the bandit is constantly restricted.

L.

Interesting discussion however I have no restrictions to worry about ust a bike for a bit of fun, so with that in mind I had a change of heart. Well thanks to a mate who can do the little bit of work thats required. I have agreed a deal to take the sv tomorrow lucky me. Personally I like the character of a twin and I'm sure it'll keep up an keep me smiling.:)

nice one. Best of luck with the new bike. If it has standard can on it ya should change it. Some sound outta em.

• Advertisement

. I have agreed a deal to take the sv tomorrow lucky me.

Is it a pointy or a curvy? and S or N version?

its a 2000 s nice and tidy considering the mileage, once I get the brakes serviced I'm away. Can't wait to get back at it 3 years is far too long. Yes seany I fear a new can is on the horizon but we'll wait a little while and make sure everything else is hunky dory first.

As I mentioned before I bought the sv650 with 59000 miles for €1000 and it is as sweet as a nut absolutely fine engine and gearbox. It just needs new break caliper seals. Mind you it was well cared for in a previous life K&N filters,dyno set up progressive fork springs fully serviced on time. Its still in my mates getting the brakes sorted so I missed this evenings fun but should be ready for the weekend.
    I think I got a great bargain :D:D

Advertisement