Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommadation for 1st year

Options
  • 16-07-2009 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey I will be starting UCD in September and just wondering where is the best place to stay for craic parties etc?! Merville Belgrove or Roebuck??

I'm thinking Roebuck..?

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Lived in Merville last year, Roebuck is about a grand more expensive and frankly not worth it.True its bigger better and you have an en suite but nothing beats living right beside Centra, having an oven(Roebuck doesnt) and you live with three others in Merville as opposed to 5 or 6 in Roebuck so the apt is easier managed.

Roebuck is good for the old house parties though compared to Merville as the RAs can jst look in the big windows of the apt.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mops

5 or 6 is alot to live with..! Do they mix boys and girls?!:)

No its not mixed. Girls in one boys in the other. Campus accomodations becoming more like a prison camp now more gates than Auschwitz and I think the prices are going up which is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

What does the cost off on campus accommodation work out at per month now? You're better off looking for a gaff or digs even, with the way the economy's gone you can get a good deal by searching daft, shared a room last year about 5 miles from college and it was €330/month including bills so it pays to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    No its not mixed. Girls in one boys in the other. Campus accomodations becoming more like a prison camp now more gates than Auschwitz and I think the prices are going up which is a disgrace.

Are ya serious? Jesus they're such fúcking knobheads so they are!

• Advertisement

hope i get roebuck though.. If i put it down as number 1 have i a good chance?! I live in Kerry.

Well as soon as you are able to apply for it apply you should get it then and you are as far from UCD as the vast majority so you should be fine in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Honestly, your chances of getting roebuck aren't great - im fairly sure they just decide that x number of people are getting accommodation and then decide who goes where based on preferences, rather than assigning each person to a place as they come in, and most people put roebuck down as 1 - I did both times I applied for accom, and got it neither time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

They don't mix guys and girls? Wtf?!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

roebuck is alot better than the other two....way way nice...having ensuite is a wonder and you don't have to buy electricity cards, the RA's are sounder and the parties tend to be a rell good laugh. For the person from kerry you will get roebuck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IxM

Lived in Merville this year and couldnt beat it. Centra is definetley the greatest thing about it, like when its pissing rain and you need milk for yer tea ya know the journeys only gona be 2 minutes.
    As for RA's, had no problem at all with them and they wer pretty fair. We were up near the forgotten square and only party they ever called us up on was one wer we had aroun 25 people in the apartment, they just told us to keep it down for the neighbours (most of who were there:P) and we did and no problem to be had.
    Craic was mental, everything from robbing neighbours christmas trees and putting them up for ransom to scaring people with a big zac efron cut out looking out the flats windows:D:rolleyes:
    im gona miss campus :(

You didnt really expect them to did you? It may be college but its still Ireland!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Eh yeh...ew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Lived in Merville last year, Roebuck is about a grand more expensive and frankly not worth it.True its bigger better and you have an en suite but nothing beats living right beside Centra, having an oven(Roebuck doesnt) and you live with three others in Merville as opposed to 5 or 6 in Roebuck so the apt is easier managed.

Roebuck is good for the old house parties though compared to Merville as the RAs can jst look in the big windows of the apt.:mad:

Wait, hang on, Roebuck doesn't have an oven? :confused:

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Wait, hang on, Roebuck doesn't have an oven? :confused:

what college student needs an oven!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

mops wrote: »

How do you cook then?!!

Oh the innocence....:rolleyes::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Can you imagine average teenage girls having to share a bathroom/kitchen with average teenage guys? There would be blood.

Re: the Roebuck Oven thing, they have a microwave and a hob, just no oven. So you can get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Good lord man!Haven't you ever heard of that wondrous,delicious food that is pizza!?

Or 'food' for the culinary snobs among us.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SJay

From a location point of view, Merville is probably best especially as its near the only shop that sell electricity top up cards.Although Roebuck is fab, it isnt really woth the extra cost. However from a craic point of view they're all the same.... campus is brill craic in general.

As for your chances of getting roebuck..... They reserve it for students who get entrance scholarships and then its just luck of the draw after that... I ended up in Merville and I didnt even apply for it, it was the same for my friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I want belgrove....... :) even though I was talking to my friend last week and he told me to go to merville cause it has nicer floors ?!

Merville is much nicer and if its the same price as Belgrove go for Merville. Belgroves a kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Merville is much nicer and if its the same price as Belgrove go for Merville. Belgroves a kip!

I lived in Belgrove for first year, its a kip, but I got by. It gives you low expectations in terms of housing for students, so a good life lesson i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

lived in merville this year and it was unreal...craics mighty if you get a good crowd to live with..fck roebuck its a grand dearer and not that much better..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Its funny that when I was in first year everyone who lived in Belgrove hated in and preferred Merville and vice versa. The main reasons were:

- Belgrove doesn't use electricity cards like Merville which can be really annoying if you haven't the cash for them

- Merville has carpet everywhere which tends to make the place a bit warmer looking/feeling

- Merville is closer to Centra & Roebuck

- Belgrove is closer to the bar, Arts & Quinn

can't remember anything else besides that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

what do we need to bring to accomadation.........?! like I know duvet but my friend was like plates and cutlery.....can I just get it all in IKEA :)

and aren't they meant to be doing up all the apartments this summer anyway

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    what do we need to bring to accomadation.........?! like I know duvet but my friend was like plates and cutlery.....can I just get it all in IKEA :)

and aren't they meant to be doing up all the apartments this summer anyway

There will be a toaster and kettle in the apartments and but all other kitchen utensils will be supplied by yourself eg cutlery george formman saucepans etc. There might be a duvet and pillow in the bedroom already but id advise bringing your own.
    Doing the apartments up just means they will be painted and a new carpet and lino in the living area thats for Merville anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

stayed up in mervill for a sumer course, and duvets...stains...nuff sed

Advertisement