Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flue requires fitting

Options
  • 16-07-2009 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi gang,

I have recently acquired a wood burning stove which needs a 5" flue fitted to the back. It will sit in front of an open coal fire which will probably need to be blocked off to prevent heat loss. I have no plans to use the open fireplace again.

Anyone know who can supply and fit these things? It's a small job I know but would prefer someone to do it who knows what they are doing.

Many thanks,
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Try Oriel Flues in Ardee. I found them very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Peanut Vendor

Great thanks for your advice.

Do you know if they will also recommend someone to fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 diywoman

I was doing the same thing and put a tender out on tenderme.ie the replys were pretty helpful, i have not done the job yet but i am looking at putting in a back boiler stove so it is a bit more involved.........as far as i can gather you need a steel plate fitted around the flue to close off the fireplace, keilys in mallow ( google them ) supply stoves flues etc etc and were a great help, also deliver all over the country ...let me know how you get on .....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great thanks for your advice.

Do you know if they will also recommend someone to fit it?

I'd be surprised if they couldn't recommend an installer. They supply to the trade so I'd assume they'd recommend someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭sooty_soupy

It's not a simple matter by any stretch of the imagination to fit a stove. A lot of understanding needs to be had before "messing about" with solid fuel heating. It can literally be the difference between life and death. I have to be careful about what I do here as I have been banned already for "advertising" our web site, but I am the Chairman of the Northern Ireland Association of Chimney Sweeps in Northern Ireland and a technical advisor to building control here in the province and I am based in County Down and work with stoves and flues so google all you like. You may find the info on our site very interesting....I know Oriel flues did when they came up to see me looking for advice.

Best regards

David Campbell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 diywoman

Thanks David, feel a bit more informed , and will certainly not necessarily be going for the cheapest quote/ materials from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

diywoman wrote: »
    Thanks David, feel a bit more informed , and will certainly not necessarily be going for the cheapest quote/ materials from now on

The issue is not cheapest quote/materials.:mad:

The issue is to ensure that the person doing the install knows what is required to install the stove safely and correctly and in accordance with the relevant regulations and leave the customer with the necessary documentation to ensure proper use, care and maintenance of the stove and the chimney.

Its not plug and play.

The following encapulates all that is wrong with peoples attitudes to the proper installation of stoves

by Peanut Vendor Hi gang, I have recently acquired a wood burning stove which needs a 5" flue fitted to the back. It will sit in front of an open coal fire which will probably need to be blocked off to prevent heat loss. I have no plans to use the open fireplace again.

Anyone know who can supply and fit these things? It's a small job I know but would prefer someone to do it who knows what they are doing.

Many thanks,
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Depending on the brand / quality of the stove it could cost as much as 5 times the cost of the stove to install it properly !

The first item missed is extending the hearth as I expect the existing hearth is the standard fireplace depth most of which is taken up by the stove standing on it.

Part J of the building regs available to download will give an idea of the work / standard of installation required
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1650,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭sooty_soupy

It seems that Carlow and Pete are standing out above the crowd of rubbish I have read on your forums offered by the ignorant.

Your regulations are already there for you all. It might be a bit of a pain in the neck to accept that they were written in the UK and adopted by the Irish Standards Agency, but it is in place to protect you. BS6461 is helpful to read too....again a British Safety Standard might be a bitter pill for us in Ireland to accept, but that's tough. Why write a new Irish standard when there is a perfectly acceptable document in place.

You can normally tell when you are getting rubbish for advice so trust your instincts when in showrooms. If they don't seem to know the products and can't answer your questions, then look elsewhere. Think about it...If they can't answer your questions to sell the stove, how could they ever answer questions about installation, or if things go wrong in the future?

Here to help

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bandonboy

Hello, I wanted to check with someone. I am thinking of buying a very modest 3.5 kw wood burning stove for a small room. There is an open fire and conventional chimney already in place, and the house is a single-storey bungalow. I wanted to set it into the space where the grate is, and feed the pipe directly up into the chimney.

There seems to be lots of opinion on this matter, which is why I wondered if someone can tell me what needs to be done in this instance.

Can the pipe from the stove be fed directly into the chimney like this, or does it need to be fed into something else instead (or additionally)? I've seen mention of flexi pipes, and so on, but these don't seem to be always required.

Any advice much appreciated.

BB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I suggest you check out the regulations mentioned on this page:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html

They will give you an idea of what is required.

Basically, the stove needs to sit on a non-combustible base, like stone or slate, and this base must extend to the sides and in front of the stove by 150mm and 300mm respectively.

The best practice from an operational and safety point of view seems to be to fit a twin walled flexible flue liner of the same diameter as the stove outlet. A blocking plate should be fitted at the bottom of the chimney to seal between the new liner and the existing flue. The gap between the liner and old flue should then be filled from the top with vermiculite to act as an insulator. The top of the chimney is than capped of with with another plate sealing between the liner and existing flue. A cowl is fitted to the liner and plate to stop rain getting in.

The stove is connected to the bottom of the liner with a suitable fitting.

This is basically how I installed my stove. There is nothing particularly difficult involved. About the hardest bit was standing on the roof pouring the vermiculite in with a bit of a breeze on.

Many thanks for this; I appreciate it. Can I ask where you got the plates you mention. I did some googling and in Britain they seem to call them 'register' plates, but I can't find anyone in Ireland using the same term, and offering to sell them. Can I ask where you got your supplies? Thanks again. BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Vermiculite and liner from Heiton Buckleys, Jotul stove from a UK supplier. Slate for the stove to stand on and to line the fire place cavity from an old roof, the bottom register plate I made from a cement roof slate and the top one I made from a sheet of Stainless steel.

Many thanks again (Jotol I know from experience; my fatherinlaw had one - incredible efficiency and durability, from what I could gather). Glad to hear you made your own plates - I sort of wondered if that was the path I might have to go down also (or rather my local light engineering workshop might on my behalf). Thanks again. BB.

Advertisement