Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some renting noob questions?

• 16-07-2009 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Some quick questions for the experienced renters,

You found a place, you gave a deposit. Up to what point is the deposit refundable? I'm assuming it's fully refundable until you sign the lease.

Do you snag the apartment and get the inventory list prior to signing the lease or after? Just thinking any problems that you want addressed before moving in might be very slow to be fixed by the landlord if you've already signed the lease.

What's the story generally with putting nails/screws in the internal walls of a rented apartment to hang pictures or a flat screen tv etc?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

http://www.spunout.ie/health/Accommodation/Renting/Renting-and-the-law

has some useful information for you.

Why would you hand over a deposit before you move in if you don't have the intention to move in?

Regarding screws in walls, I would say no. You don't own the walls so putting holes in them would be a no no, especially for tv brackets as they put a lot more pressure on the wall than a framed print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

athtrasna wrote: »
    http://www.spunout.ie/health/Accommodation/Renting/Renting-and-the-law

has some useful information for you.

Why would you hand over a deposit before you move in if you don't have the intention to move in?

Regarding screws in walls, I would say no. You don't own the walls so putting holes in them would be a no no, especially for tv brackets as they put a lot more pressure on the wall than a framed print.

Thanks for the link.

I haven't handed over the deposit yet, was just wondering where I would stand. In fact I've just read the fine print of some paperwork the letting agency gave me it says they'll keep €400 for admin costs if I opt out of signing the lease after paying the deposit. Is this typical? It doesn't sound very ethical, and seems legally dubious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Thanks for the link.

I haven't handed over the deposit yet, was just wondering where I would stand. In fact I've just read the fine print of some paperwork the letting agency gave me it says they'll keep €400 for admin costs if I opt out of signing the lease after paying the deposit. Is this typical? It doesn't sound very ethical, and seems legally dubious.
    It's definitely unethical, and I'd agree it's legally dubious, probably not illegal though.
    It would be illegal for them to charge you an admin fee if you move in if they're also charging the landlord fees (and they almost certainly are charging the landlord), btu in this case, where you cause them more work, theoretically at least, they might be OK to charge you their expenses in replacing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

how is it unethical ? A deposit is a holding deposit to stop them offering the accomadation to somebody else. If you decide to pull out they are potentially turned away other prospective renters.

Most companies would keep 100% of the deposit not to mind €400.

Its definatly not illegal

Advertisement