Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving up

• 16-07-2009 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

First post in this section but been keeping track of it.

Iv been doing scanning for a while now and although i enjoy it I think its time I tried something new like transmitting. How does one get their license and is the exam hard to pass.

Jon

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

jonon9 wrote: »
    First post in this section but been keeping track of it.

Iv been doing scanning for a while now and although i enjoy it I think its time I tried something new like transmitting. How does one get their license and is the exam hard to pass.

Jon

Best bet is to read through this first. If you have questions after that, someone here will help you out I'm sure.

http://www.irts.ie/cgi/start.cgi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You of course in the meantime use PMR446 (446MHz 500mW builtin aerial FM walkietalks) and ETSI/CE marked CBs (27MHz, Any external whip/vertical you like, handheld, mobile or base with up to 1W AM and 4W SSB/FM).

These are both licence free.

With the licence (as explained on IRTS) you can use various frequencies, modes and bands from 137kHz to 22GHz with almost any kind of aerial in most cases.

Advertisement