Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noticeable Improvement?

Options
  • 16-07-2009 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey all...
    I built myself a computer that was decent at the time (3 years or so ago). Specs are roughly:
    Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz
    4gb ram
    Few TBs of storage
    750W (i think) toughpower psu
    Sapphire x1600 512mb
    And i think that's all that's relevant! So anyway, I started playing games on the computer again, loaded up crysis for a start, and, as always... was crap! The graphics weren't that nice at all! In the end there was a bit of impulse buying... and i got a sapphire 4890 1gb card. Now my motherboard is pci-e x16, not 2.0, so i know that'll have an effect. But overall, will i notice an improvement? Or will it even work with my crappy system?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm surprised that the X1600 was even in your build when you assembled it. All your other components are quality, but that X1600 is blasphemy. The 4890 would be - and this is not an exaggeration - 5x faster at least. You're looking at going from playing Crysis at 800x600 low-ish settings to 1920x1200 high-ish. You won't suffer because of the Pci-e 2.0 either - and yes there's no reason it won't work, your system is high quality and only let down by the video. That CPU would overclock very well also, but its not essential to a dramatically increased gaming experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Huxoin

I know! I wasn't planning on doing to much graphics intensive stuff at the time... But now its time to upgrade, for general use, so I may as well go for something good for gaming! And 5 times faster seems nice and impressive :-P. Thanks for the decent reply anyway! Looking forward to the arrival on monday! Cheers!

Advertisement