Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese guards?

Options
  • 16-07-2009 7:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw a chinese guard in parnell st..not a probabationer,a proper,uniformed Garda only chinese.
    I wonder are there many more of them and have they waived the requirement to speak irish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Cant see why they would have to speak Irish.

Asking a guard to speak Irish when you know English too well is an ar*ehole thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

How do you know he wasn't born here to Chinese parents and can speak Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Saw that guy too this week - short man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Chinafoot wrote: »
    How do you know he wasn't born here to Chinese parents and can speak Irish?

I heard him asking a bloke to move his car and he had a chinese accent.
    If he was born here,he wouldnt.
    I'm not knocking the man at all,its just the first chinese cop i've seen in this country and one of the requirements was to be able to speak irish..maybe it no longer is,thats what i'm asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Degsy wrote: »

Are you able to distinguish a Chinese accent from a Korean accent?
    mikemac wrote: »
    They could be assigned to the Gaelteacht and they have to go.
    So how are they going to manage?

You may as well ask how Irish gardaí could manage disputes or crime between foreigners. With the foreign population of Irish cities in the 21st century, we need foreign gardaí who understand the language and culture of our foreign populous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

And maybe he speaks irish as well? Or is that not possible just because he speaks english with an accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I vaguely recall a recruitment drive a few years ago looking for applicants from various ethnic backgrounds, idea being that it promotes cultural balance and also helps improve policing the various communities. No idea how successful it was but perhaps the first of the recruits are turning out about now. Might gradually see a few more over the next few years. Lets face it, there's probably more need for fluent mandarin speakers than fluent Irish speakers on the beat in Dublin. Most if not all Irish speakers will also speak english.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

The idea guards have to speak Irish is retarded...and way more people speak Arabic/Polish/Lithuanian than the 5 people who speak it in the Gealteacht so shouldn't that be a requirement? No, because that would be silly. Besides, the 5 people who speak Irish regularly also speak English.

Seen 1 or 2 Chinese cops around Dun Laoghaire. And its not hard to tell by looking whether or not they are Chinese or Korean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That isn't so esp if his milk tongue is not english despite being born and bred here.

I'm not knocking the man at all,its just the first chinese cop i've seen in this country and one of the requirements was to be able to speak irish..maybe it no longer is,thats what i'm asking.

Chance are he has pretty good Irish esp if there were more then 2 languages in the house hold growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Thaedydal wrote: »
    That isn't so esp if his milk tongue is not english despite being born and bred here.

That doesn't make sense. You can't live your entire life in Ireland and not have an Irish accent when speaking English. The only way to have a non-Irish accent would be if you spent more time speaking English with non-natives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

mikemac wrote: »
    Gardai can be assigned anywhere.
    They could be assigned to the Gaelteacht and they have to go.
    So how are they going to manage?

Yeah the auld Gaeltacht regions are a hotbed of crime alright. And nobody there can speak a word of English at all. Jaysus - sure he'd be destroyed by them Gael Goers altogether! :)

I saw my first Asian Garda last year on the way to the EP. He had the unenviable task of having to deal with some scumbags shop-lifting in a Tesco shop somewhere in the midlands (can't remember where we stopped).

I say we should be encouraging people to join the Gardai not automatically counting them out because they can't speak a language that the majority of Irish people can't speak fluently anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

when people say unfortunate situation of having to deal with scumbags...why? thats their job. trust me they won't be offended by some retards using some racial slur against them.

ive seen a few asian guards, including one at st.patricks day :D i felt sorry for her all the tourists found it interesting as well as a couple of ignorant irish people but they weren't offensive they just looked stupid the way they were going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

FruitLover wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. You can't live your entire life in Ireland and not have an Irish accent when speaking English. The only way to have a non-Irish accent would be if you spent more time speaking English with non-natives.

If he grew up keeping with in the very tight knit Asian communities which we have in this country then it is very easy to grow up with that sort of an accent having been born here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

If he grew up keeping with in the very tight knit Asian communities which we have in this country then it is very easy to grow up with that sort of an accent having been born here.

surley they'd be exposed to irish accents everywhere?

school, getting on a bus, buying a sandwhich, answering the door to some strange politician

if there's people walking around ireland today born and bred and have a non irish aceent.

well.

i'll eat my hat.

what a bizzare thing to say for the sake of argument

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

It works both ways, you have children born to African parents that have Dublin accents you could cut with a bread knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

ntlbell wrote: »

school, getting on a bus, buying a sandwhich, answering the door to some strange politician

if there's people walking around ireland today born and bred and have a non irish aceent.

well.

i'll eat my hat.

im not gonna say its commonplace, but i know one chinese lad who was born and bred here, but has a recognisable chinese accent, i.e. some pronunciation and that sort of quick way of speaking, but with half a dublin accent as well...hard to describe but put it this way, ya'd know by listening to him that he was raised in dublin to chinese parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yeah the auld Gaeltacht regions are a hotbed of crime alright. And nobody there can speak a word of English.

I say we should be encouraging people to join the Gardai not automatically counting them out because they can't speak a language that the majority of Irish people can't speak fluently anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA0a62wmd1A .

Apologies if Off Topic but it highlights something important about the native language of Ireland.

There was also a piece on Crimecall or Prime Time some time ago in which they spoke to members of the AGS Reserve, one of those members was Chinese ( Apologies if I'm wrong about the country in which he was born ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

The requirement to have a qualification in Irish was scrapped a few years ago. Now they have to learn Irish as part of their training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Maybe they need a Chinese speaking cop? He may also have learned enough Irish to get by, like most other non bog coppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah, I heard somewhere that by te age of around 5, your accent is pretty much set. There may be some influence after that but your main accent will always remain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah, I heard somewhere that by te age of around 5, your accent is pretty much set. There may be some influence after that but your main accent will always remain.

I agree with you, my Daughter lived overseas from the age of 2 till 9 yrs and was educated in international schools in NZ, Japan and Hong-Kong. For the past 4 years she has been educated in Ireland. Now she is 13 yrs old I have not got a clue what accent she has aquired now but I know she has not picked up any of the Irish accent yet. I myself having travelled and lived overseas for work for most of my working life have lost much of my original accent, the accent I naturally speak with now is hardly recognised in the area I was brought up in my formative years but I still do have twangs of my native accent.

Maybe they need a Chinese speaking cop? He may also have learned enough Irish to get by, like most other non bog coppers

It makes sense really,chinese are quite insular and one of the problems in dealing with crime in thier communities is thier apparant unwillingness to talk to non-chinese.
    At last a bit of common sense being used in this country.
    And as for the baility to speak irish..there are people in this country (usually with beards) who demand that EVERYTHING be subtitled in irish and that legal documents etc be written in irish,there have been cases of these numpties refusing to recognise courts because the judge couldnt address them fluently in irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yes, but if you learn a new language it is different. I was in Central America and most of the people who learned English as a second language in secondary school and college and who could now speak it fluently, spoke it with an American accent, very different from when they speak Spanish.

I know some Chinese people who came over here to study and have been here 4/5 years and who have Irish accents when they speak English. Although they learned it, they never really spoke it until they came over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It makes sense really,chinese are quite insular and one of the problems in dealing with crime in thier communities is thier apparant unwillingness to talk to non-chinese.

Kinda like the Irish unwillingness to talk to any member of the Gardai. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

3 Chinese people graduated from the Garda training college earlier this year, 2 of which are stationed in the city centre. I'm pretty sure one of them at least was interviewed for the news at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There's an Asian guard (chinese/japanese/korean) station out in Rathmines. Have seen her quite often.

There's an Asian guard (chinese/japanese/korean) station out in Rathmines. Have seen her quite often.

Unlikely to be japenese or korean..the huge majority of asians here are chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

ntlbell wrote: »

well.

i'll eat my hat.

I've lived northside dublin since i was 2 months old with an english dad. I have an accent that sounds English in Ireland, but Irish in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

DubMedic wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA0a62wmd1A .

Apologies if Off Topic but it highlights something important about the native language of Ireland.

There was a piece on crimecall or Prime Time some time ago in which they spoke to members of the AGS Reserve, one of those members was Chinese ( Apologies if I'm wrong about the country in which he was born ).

Agreed must admit I am pretty clueless when it comes to Irish. reminded me of a thread I wnted to start actually thankd Doc.
    Yes, but if you learn a new language it is different. I was in Central America and most of the people who learned English as a second language in secondary school and college and who could now speak it fluently, spoke it with an American accent, very different from when they speak Spanish.

I know some Chinese people who came over here to study and have been here 4/5 years and who have Irish accents when they speak English. Although they learned it, they never really spoke it until they came over here.

Agreed Bro ex learned American english in Spain, spoke english with an American Accent.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I think this is great, we can have our own Irish supercop like they have in hong Kong.

6a00e3989eabae00010110160b973a860b-500pi

Advertisement