Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese guards?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Degsy wrote: »
    Unlikely to be japenese or korean..the huge majority of asians here are chinese.

I was just trying to avoid being called racist if I assumed they were Chinese. You know what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I think the whole needing the irish language thing id total BS. I did my leaving cert 3 years ago and just did a degree in UCD. Irish is the most useless thing to know. Unless you live in a actual gaeltacht area where in life is their a use for speaking Irish? I think its appalling that this is still being taught in school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    I think the whole needing the irish language thing id total BS. I did my leaving cert 3 years ago and just did a degree in UCD. Irish is the most useless thing to know. Unless you live in a actual gaeltacht area where in life is their a use for speaking Irish? I think its appalling that this is still being taught in school.

Its all due to a minority of trouble makers.
    Where i work,they went to huge expense translating all the signs and notices into "irish" for whatever reason even if it meant some ridiculous words.."fotochopail" for example.
    Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, but if you learn a new language it is different. I was in Central America and most of the people who learned English as a second language in secondary school and college and who could now speak it fluently, spoke it with an American accent, very different from when they speak Spanish.
    Agreed. I'm English, but spent most of my adult life in Germany and the Netherlands where I learnt and spoke the languages with an accent local to the areas I was living in, and any native speakers I come across here can immediately tell which region I lived in while living there just from my accent. I haven't picked up any semblance of an Irish accent while living here though, and probably never will, although I find myself picking up a lot of Hiberno-English turns of phrase of late. My own English accent is pretty non-specific and has been watered down by years of living abroad but dealing with non-native English speakers for my work.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

There are loads of guards who are not irish. We have eastern europeans and asian guards. The irish requirement was wavied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

there is also a female chinese garda, stationed in swords i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Vietnamese boat people that came here in the 1970s were ethnic Chinese. While some intergrated well, others didn't.
    Yes, but if you learn a new language it is different. I was in Central America and most of the people who learned English as a second language in secondary school and college and who could now speak it fluently, spoke it with an American accent, very different from when they speak Spanish.
    Thats because they learned English from people with American accents. European Spanish speakers consider American Spanish speakers to speak in an antiquated fashion - the language has started to split.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If he grew up keeping with in the very tight knit Asian communities which we have in this country then it is very easy to grow up with that sort of an accent having been born here.

Only if he spoke English with those other Asian people more often than with Irish people. Not likely.
    Degsy wrote: »
    Unlikely to be japenese or korean..the huge majority of asians here are chinese.

The garda in Rathmines is Chinese, but I've met a Korean garda in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

At the risk of sounding blunt why is having Garda of non Irish nationality such a big deal? If i'm being robbed i really don't care who comes just as long as they help to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Could easily have been a reserve, few chinese lads doing that job. Although there are a few fulltime Gardaí from other ethnicities as well. I for one am glad to see them, if we're going to have a multicultural society then why not a multicultural police force? In the wildly varied different jobs I've done to date, I've found foreigners to be just as hard-wroking and friendly as their Irish counterparts. A few of them would probably even go to the trouble of learning Irish; they've learnt english haven't they?

People can rarely tell the difference between Reserves and Full-time Gardaí - they dont wear blue epaulettes, just have GR rather than H, D, R etc for the districts - followed by a number.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yeah i saw a woman one coming out of the Bridewell recently and a man one on Grafton st lol. They look so funny in the little uniforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    yeah i saw a woman one coming out of the Bridewell recently and a man one on Grafton st lol. They look so funny in the little uniforms.

Wow - that's not patronising or condescending in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 miami365

Victor wrote: »
    The Vietnamese boat people that came here in the 1970s were ethnic Chinese.

Where did you get this rubbish from? The refugees that came here were from the French colonised South Vietnam exiled by the Communist Chinese North Vietnam.

Your quote is on par with calling the Irish ethnic English.

Asia is a massive continent with people of different ethnicities from caucasian Russians to black Indians hence it does my head in when people assume all Asians are Chinese.

For the record I was born in Saigon, brought here when I was two and consider myself Irish despite having Vietnamese parents and yes I do have a Dub accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Do you visit Vietnam much? I did the whole travel from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City, blew me a way, best trip ever. Still obsessed with Vietnamese food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Gárdaí on tSín? Is dócha gur chuid don réabhlóid é.

Agus BEIDH an réabhlóid ar an teilifís!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

lightening wrote: »
    Do you visit Vietnam much? I did the whole travel from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City, blew me a way, best trip ever. Still obsessed with Vietnamese food.

Is there anywhere in Dublin that does good Vietnamese food? I went to that place in Temple Bar the other day, but it wasn't open. Haven't tried it yet.

Yeah, that's Ho'Sen, really good place, lovely food and quiet authentic. I hope it's still open, I have been there lots of times. Don't know of any more proper ones, SABA and the Koh in the Italian quarter do bits and pieces, but not all Vietnamese.

lightening wrote: »

Na not since birth.
    Was brought up as Irish so wouldnt be a great one to ask about their food, customs, language etc but heard it's a good spot from people that have holidayed there.
    Was a big enough step for me to go to Oz for a year let alone anywhere in Asia.

topper75 wrote: »
    Gárdaí on tSín? Is dócha gur chuid don réabhlóid é.

Irish is fierce rusty but are you on about a revolution or something?
    Have you seen South Park's episode about Cartman and the Chinese?
    Very funny and so true.
    China and India represent over a third of the world's population, God help us if they decide to start something.

miami365 wrote: »
    heard it's a good spot from people that have holidayed there.
    Was a big enough step for me to go to Oz for a year let alone anywhere in Asia.

Yeah, you strike me as Irish as Irish. Check it out though, amazing place. I'm sure your folks tell you all the time! I will deffo be heading back, want to check out the places I missed. Saigon is nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

miami365 wrote: »
    Irish is fierce rusty but are you on about a revolution or something?
    Have you seen South Park's episode about Cartman and the Chinese?
    Very funny and so true.
    China and India represent over a third of the world's population, God help us if they decide to start something.

sorry - should have stuck some English in with that -
    i was having a laugh at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS3QOtbW4m0

Gárdaí ón tSín? Is dócha gur chuid don réabhlóid é.

= Guards from China? I suppose it's part of the revolution.

And the revolution WILL be televised.

Advertisement