Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motoring Wikipedia

• 16-07-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Can anyone give some advice, I'd be interested in researching a lot more into various car-related issues. Particularly I'd like to have a better understanding of what each part does and how it works etc. Is there some decent online resource that I can consult rather than constantly having to ask questions.

I wouldn't be the most savvy person with my car and would like to improve my knowledge.

Additionally, is there anywhere to find out information about doing some sort of beginner course in mechanics (or something similar, not to that standard maybe) as not knowing much about my cars is a regret that I'd have.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

would be interested in this also .....

have been looking around to do a basic car mechanics course - just to do simple things instead of paying someone else to do them.

I've learned a fair bit from trial and error..... I have found a number of evening courses but most dont start till august/sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

buy a cheap old car that you're not afraid of messing up, the knowledge will come to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd be in support of a boards motors style wiki. So if anyone's got free time to develop something like this fair balls. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Its not that I'd even expect someone on Boards to do up a wiki or something, its just that there must be an online resource with loads of useful information to read. For example, I only recently was finally able to find out why diesel cars have a lot more torque than petrol ones... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Start here if you're bored:
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-basics-channel.htm

There's loads more similar stuff on the web.

If you really wanna know how it works though, Colm's right - buy an old banger, you learn best by doing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement