Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROVERS V SLIGO VENUE AND DAY CHANGE.

• 16-07-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Guys just to give you the heads up Shamrock Rovers V Sligo Rovers due to be played in Tallaght tomorrow night has been cancelled due to unplayable pitch.

Game will now be played on Saturday the 18TH of July at Tolka Park, kick off 7PM.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The pitch is unplayable or are Platinum 1 putting pressure on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Moved to Tolka on Saturday at 7pm due to an apparent unplayable pitch. Clearly just appeasing Platinum One before the friendly on Monday, like who cares if we're second in the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Was down on the pitch earlier talking to Stephen Rice and there was nothing wrong with the pitch, hasn't been to much rain in Tallaght this week either so God only knows........Probably P 1 wanting everything there way. Just hope it doesn't knock the lads off the run we are on.

The club really have their priorities wrong on this one I think. That's rubbish notice for fans. Now I fully appreciate the job the 400 Club have done etc I really do but they've got it wrong on this occasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

This decision has nothing to do with Rovers and everything to do with SDCC and Platinum One. The official reason from SDCC is the ground is closed due to health and safey becuse the installation of temporary seats for the Real Madrid match is still ongoing.

• Advertisement

This decision has nothing to do with Rovers and everything to do with SDCC and Platinum One. The official reason from SDCC is the ground is closed due to health and safey becuse the installation of temporary seats for the Real Madrid match is still ongoing.
    Sure we dont be on that side of the ground anyway, that's bull

Voltwad wrote: »
    Sure we dont be on that side of the ground anyway, that's bull

The seats behind the chipper end goal are not finished yet apparantly.

It is complete bull but it's SDCC's decision (in cahoots with Platinum One no doubt) that the league game against Sligo will not take place in Tallaght this weekend. Rovers and the FAI are seriously pissed off with them.

24hours notice was a bit crap alright, feel sorry for people who will show up in Tallaght tomorrow night not got a clue about the change, or even sligo fans who had hotels and buses booked.

The seats behind the chipper end goal are not finished yet apparantly.

It is complete bull but it's SDCC's decision (in cahoots with Platinum One no doubt) that the league game against Sligo will not take place in Tallaght this weekend. Rovers and the FAI are seriously pissed off with them.
    I would understand if there was adequate notice but the day before hand is severely bad form

SDCC notified the FAI last Thursday but the FAI/Rovers spent the whole week trying to convince them to let the game go ahead.

• Advertisement

This re-arrangement goes against what the LOI should be representing and even though it would cost me nothing as a season ticket holder to attend, I wont be doing so Saturday. More so down to distance I'd have to travel but it's a matter of principle too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ah its hardly a long distance considering some of the away trips in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

it's SDCC's decision

You's are merely tenants in Tallaght, so the SDCC can really do what they want.:D As DSB said it's hardly a million miles away.

Nice little earner for Shels hopefully.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This re-arrangement goes against what the LOI should be representing and even though it would cost me nothing as a season ticket holder to attend, I wont be doing so Saturday. More so down to distance I'd have to travel but it's a matter of principle too

Should prolly buy your own ground then.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Should prolly buy your own ground then.
    To have to travel an hour and a half each way instead of half an hour by public transport there and back just doesn't cut it with me. Given that I was meant to be bringing my brother and his friend who I'd bought tickets for they can't go now on the Saturday for various reasons. I'm sure there are many people put out by this and it's just a spit in the face of people from Tallaght and surrounding areas that have taken Shamrock Rovers under their wing

Just found out in the maldron hotel, they have 30 rooms booked by sligo supporters for 1 night and they are not doing refunds.

As for going to Tolka, i will be there but its a pain in the hole to get to by public transport from Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Surely it would have been far better and put far less people out if they just played at a different ground in Dublin tomorrow night instead of moving the match.

Surely it would have been far better and put far less people out if they just played at a different ground in Dublin tomorrow night instead of moving the match.
    True yeah, Richmond would be available unless Pats plan on playing two nights in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

True yeah, Richmond would be available unless Pats plan on playing two nights in a row

Exactly. SDCC created a bad situation, but the FAI managed to make it much much worse.

Not playing meaningless games in the middle of your season would probably sort this out.

Rovers chose to play newcastle real and hibs during the season, SDCC have chosen not to allow its anchor tenant use of the ground 2 days prior to a BIG GAME!!!!

Embarassing isnt the word tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Muppetry of the highest order!

As for Shams passing the buck to the LOI:o

Shams and LOI tried to get them to change mind!...?

Change mind?

Muppetry of the highest order!

anyone who booked a hotel room should talk to a solicitor
    letters to the press to embarrass the muppets would be the minimum action!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Not playing meaningless games in the middle of your season would probably sort this out.

Rovers chose to play newcastle real and hibs during the season, SDCC have chosen not to allow its anchor tenant use of the ground 2 days prior to a BIG GAME!!!!

Embarassing isnt the word tbh.

AFAIK they offered to play the game on Friday. In any case i'm sure it would be possible for rovers to use one stand and the pitch, even if the rest of the ground was a building site, they don't nee d access to that area.

Also, aswell as the friendlies being a great source of income for the club, they were organised under the premise that they would not interfere with schedueled league fixtures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers alarmed by council decision

Shamrock Rovers chairman Jonathan Roche has insisted the club would not have agreed to play Real Madrid in next Monday’s friendly if it had known the fixture would affect the club’s league game against Sligo Rovers.

Roche was speaking this afternoon after the FAI expressed regret at Dublin City Council’s insistence that Saturday’s game against Sligo be played at Shelbourne’s Tolka Park.

The council cited health and safety concerns as the motivation to shift the venue from the Tallaght Stadium.

“We’re very disappointed in hindsight,” Roche told the Irish Times today. “If we’d known this was going to happen we wouldn’t have agreed to play Real Madrid.

“It was mooted last Friday, and since then the FAI has tried their utmost to sort things out, but the council insisted that the game couldn’t go ahead on safety grounds.

“It’s an alarm bell to us, and presumably the FAI, that something like this could happen.

“This could have an effect on our friendlies going forward. There is no reason why the Sligo game couldn’t go on, but clearly we can’t allow friendly games to be interfering with out league campaign,” added Roche, who thanked Shels for accommodating the fixture.

“Fair play to Shelbourne though, again they come to the rescue.”

The council’s concerns are thought to centre on preparing the stadium for the high-profile friendly with the Spanish giants just 48 hours after the meeting with Sligo.

It’s a call that the FAI are clearly uncomfortable with as well.

Earlier today, league director Fran Gavin, said: “We are disappointed that this game will not go ahead in Tallaght.

“Last Thursday (July 9th), the FAI received official notification of the council’s decision to close the venue and having tried to find a solution, including playing the game on Friday night, South Dublin County Council have decided that the game will not go ahead at the Tallaght Stadium.”

The statement added: “The FAI grants permission for all friendly fixtures on the clear understanding that there would be no effect on the playing of scheduled League of Ireland fixtures, all parties including South Dublin County Council were aware of that.”

Alarmed is not the word.

Very good spin on it by Roche, total bull**** but very good spin all the same if you cant blame the FAI side with them and blame someone else. But do it covertly so you dont ruin your "home" grounds good standing.

I know its petty etc: but its hilarious this is happenign to the best run club in the multiverse, wonder if Tolka is a sell out yet? :D:pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Shams v Rovers should be the thread title imo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

5starpool wrote: »
    Shams v Rovers should be the thread title imo ;)

Now don't start that again!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Would have postponed the Sligo fixture myself.

For all the good that the Madrid fixture has brought, I would think probably seriously about doing something like that again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shamrock Rovers should refuse to play Real Madrid.

Tell P1 to stick it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Des wrote: »

Tell P1 to stick it.
    And lose out on a nice payday that they could do with?

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »

Tell P1 to stick it.

Rovers would only look like the villain of the piece with SDCC and PI getting off scot-free.

Anyway, I assume that there would be some (expensive) legal repercussions if they didn't fulfill the fixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

the big losers in all this is the fans. Im not a rovers fan but i would be majorly pissed off if i was. When the madrid fixture was mentioned surely the club's first priority would be to make sure it didnt in any way affect the league.

or did the club bosses see the $$$ and forget about everything else?

They can blame who they like but AFAIK it's Rovers management's job to ensure any friendly game doesnt hinder their league run.

i feel sorry for the sligo fans who booked rooms in Tallaght.

Shamrock Rovers’ Statement

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Due to health and safety concerns, the South Dublin County Council has decided to close Tallaght Stadium for use this weekend. This means that our scheduled home fixture against Sligo Rovers cannot take place in Tallaght. The game will now be played at Tolka Park on Saturday, Jul 18th, kick-off 7.00pm.

Shamrock Rovers regrets any inconvenience caused, and the club apologises to its supporters – particularly those based in Tallaght - for this inconvenience, but the matter is beyond our control, as the decision to temporarily close Tallaght Stadium was taken unilaterally by its owners, the South Dublin County Council.

All relevant match and Season tickets are valid for Saturday’s game. Any ticket holder unable to attend Tolka Park on Saturday can either be refunded in full or exchange their ticket for another Shamrock Rovers' 2009 Premier Division home fixture.

The Board

Shamrock Rovers FC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

stovelid wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers’ Statement

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Due to health and safety concerns, the South Dublin County Council has decided to close Tallaght Stadium for use this weekend. This means that our scheduled home fixture against Sligo Rovers cannot take place in Tallaght. The game will now be played at Tolka Park on Saturday, Jul 18th, kick-off 7.00pm.

Shamrock Rovers regrets any inconvenience caused, and the club apologises to its supporters particularly those based in Tallaght - for this inconvenience, but the matter is beyond our control, as the decision to temporarily close Tallaght Stadium was taken unilaterally by its owners, the South Dublin County Council.

All relevant match and Season tickets are valid for Saturday’s game. Any ticket holder unable to attend Tolka Park on Saturday can either be refunded in full or exchange their ticket for another Shamrock Rovers' 2009 Premier Division home fixture.

The Board

Shamrock Rovers FC

Nice to see no mention of the opposition fans
    You would expect the real club run by the real fans to actually think about the other set of fans, even if it was just with a false apology

*If shams were any use they would get the contact details of the 30 in hotels and sort something out with the Madrid monies

You should also have highlighted this bit too:

but the matter is beyond our control, as the decision to temporarily close Tallaght Stadium was taken unilaterally by its owners, the South Dublin County Council.

This is as much a shafting of the club as anybody.

Friday, 17 July 2009 10:40 Free transport for 1,000 Rovers fans from Tallaght to Tolka (and back!) for the Sligo Rovers match on Saturday.The Football Special is Back !Dublin Bus has stepped in to help Shamrock Rovers and their supporters to get to Tolka Park. As a result of the temporary closure of Tallaght Stadium this week, Shamrock Rovers must play the league game against Sligo Rovers on Saturday July 18thin Tolka Park, Drumcondra. Dublin Bus will have 12 double deck buses in Tallaght Stadium car park on Saturday with the buses leaving at 5pm. There will be no fare for this Rovers special shuttle ? all you need to do is show your season ticket or Sligo match ticket which will be on sale at the club store from 1pm to 5pm. Shamrock Rovers' Marketing Director, Mark Lynch, said that ?the club wanted to make every effort for the people of Tallaght who have come out in their thousands to support us since we arrived at Tallaght Stadium in March, a lot of our new fans might not even know where Tolka is, never mind how to get there. To that end, along with Dublin Bus, we have put together the ideal transport plan for all Rovers fans coming from Tallaght?. The shuttles will leave the stadium at 5pm and return directly after the match. There will be no stops or picks ups en route. Make a day out of it and keep on hooping on the ?Rovers Football Special?

• Advertisement

CHD wrote: »
    And lose out on a nice payday that they could do with?
    We're actually not getting too much from it. Think it's a flat fee while Madrid get a couple of mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We're actually not getting too much from it. Think it's a flat fee while Madrid get a couple of mil

Just over €50,000 flat fee is what I've been told, €5 from each ticket goes to Rovers.

Advertisement