Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board snip and LTI

Options
  • 16-07-2009 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

In particular, the Group recommends that the income guidelines for the Medical Card be revised to the basic rate of social welfare (Jobseekers Allowance), that the monthly threshold for the Drugs Payment Scheme is increased to €125 and that a co-payment of €5 is introduced for each prescription under the Medical Card and Long-Term Illness Scheme.

On the supply side, the Group is particularly concerned to increase competition for the provision of heath care services and recommends that the HSE should phase out existing contracts with GPs and Pharmacists as quickly as possible and achieve a price acceptable and affordable in the changed budgetary situation as well as enabling suppliers to compete to provide these services.

The above is from page 56-57 of the report published today. http://finance.gov.ie/documents/pressreleases/2009/bl100vol1.pdf

Obviously it's only at the report stage but I thought people might be interested. I don't mean to be leaning into the political side of things here, if this isn't appropriate please move it to the best forum.

Not sure how I feel about this one to be honest.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

€5 per prescription - would some people need multiple prescriptions disposed a month? It doesn't seem that high of a cost (least for me) to pay around €60 a year.

With respect to ripping up old contracts - there might be some merit in that given most pharmacies are effectively doing that by the end of this month.

Wasn't there also mention of increased use of generics?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

ixoy wrote: »
    €5 per prescription - would some people need multiple prescriptions disposed a month? It doesn't seem that high of a cost (least for me) to pay around €60 a year.

With respect to ripping up old contracts - there might be some merit in that given most pharmacies are effectively doing that by the end of this month.

Wasn't there also mention of increased use of generics?

I'd be happy enough with that as you say ioxy.

We certainly will have some interesting times ahead whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I'm a little confused about what it means by 5 euro per perscription. I have a perscription with everything I need (insulin, needles etc) listed on it. Its stapled into my LTI book. I call to the chemist and get what i need as i need it. Does this mean 5 euro everytime I get anything? So if i got test strips today and insulin next week it would be 5 euro each?
    What if I got enough to do me for 6 months in one go, is that 5 euro in total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

BC wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about what it means by 5 euro per perscription. I have a perscription with everything I need (insulin, needles etc) listed on it. Its stapled into my LTI book. I call to the chemist and get what i need as i need it. Does this mean 5 euro everytime I get anything? So if i got test strips today and insulin next week it would be 5 euro each?
    What if I got enough to do me for 6 months in one go, is that 5 euro in total?

I would imagine so, it's a horribly disproportional fee. I'll just get a shed load every six months. I have to say, having had to pay $220 US for five Novorapid pens in Uruguay, I thought we'd be hit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

As BC said.

That's exactly the same fear I have.

I'm going to point out that some of the proposals will never see the light of day. They were simply proposals that dealt with ways of reducing Govt spending, without regard to consequence. E.g. Reducing local authorities, merging many third level institutions etc. Many would end up either costing more money in the long run, or else would cause a disproportionately steep reduction in services for the money saved.

Basically, the report wasn't fully thought out. €5 charges can work, but if means testing is brought in then the tax is spent on the means testing. There could be variants of measures like this, but after what happened with medical cards and the elderly, charges like these will be one of the last options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jeepers

charges like these will be one of the last options.

It's more likely that the charge will be higher than not introduced at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Would not be too disappointed if i had to pay it considering the amount of drugs i use, but i just get a months supply at a time needles test strips tablets and byetta have wondered how much my bill is a month certainly more than a fiver.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I it that it is €5 for each drug, hence I'd pay €45 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

In England, where everyone could be said to have something like a medical card (free GP appointments, etc) they have a prescription charge of £7.20.
    People can buy a Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC) at £28.25 for a 3-month one and a 12-month PPC £104.00.

Given the prescription charge suggested would be 60% of the rate in England, if they introduced Prescription Prepayment Certificates at the same ratio to the prescription charge, they would be €19.60 for a 3 month one and €72.15 for an annual one. Personally I think this would be reasonably.

I think there can be wastage if people don't pay for prescriptions i.e. the odd person can take prescriptions (particularly for the 2nd or 3rd month) just because it's on the list without necessarily intending to take it. I know that has happened in our house and I have read about it before as not being unusual.

Advertisement