Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

27th July - College Green - car ban

• 16-07-2009 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Anybody know what the crack is with the car ban on 27 July - i drive this way every day and all i have heard about it is a big flashy sign telling me something is gonna happen on 27 July but what??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

That's when the mother-ship is coming to take us all back home.

Hail Xenu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

College Green, Dublin. Right? Because there must be a few hundred College Greens in the country to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ahh ya!... i do! theres a car ban on the 27th july!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

The world will end, thats what.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Redpunto wrote: »
    Anybody know what the crack is with the car ban on 27 July - i drive this way every day and all i have heard about it is a big flashy sign telling me something is gonna happen on 27 July but what??????

Its another example of the criminal stupidity of the people who make such decisions..how,for example are people who work in Trinity going to get to work if they cant drive near the place?
    We've elected a bunch of bloody halfwits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

easyeason3 wrote: »
    The world will end, thats what.

3 years ahead of schedule, fecking aztecs. On the plus side, looks like I won't have to pay back those loands so, nice one

The temporary sign I saw said something about buses having priority rather than a car ban...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

There's definitely no car ban at college green on july 27th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Degsy wrote: »
    Its another example of the criminal stupidity of the people who make such decisions..how,for example are people who work in Trinity going to get to work if they cant drive near the place?

I get a bus from Ballyfermot though usually I cycle
    And there are thousands of people who get buses from West Dublin who get buses from West Dublin and even further afield like Kildare. Possibly tens of thousands

If a few workers from Trinity college and surrounding areas get inconvienced I say it's a fair price to pay to save time off commutes for thousands of people.

And imo and I know others will disagree, if you work and live in Dublin city centre, get a bike or scooter/motorbike or public transport.

Don't buy a car and drive into the centre of a capital city and then moan to me that traffic is annoying! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thread on Commuting & Transport about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Only car allowed through College Green during Rush Hours will be John Hegharty's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Degsy wrote: »
    Um, the usual way, via the Lincoln Place gate or Pearse Street (north west) gate or via College Street to College GReen and in the front gate. Access is retained, through traffic is banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

obl wrote: »
    Only car allowed through College Green during Rush Hours will be John Hegharty's.

Keep it on the low but the students are plannng a coup and this fúcker will be the first on the guillotine. It's been in the planning for months now. A lot of people were pissed off with the hike in registration fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

mikemac wrote: »
    I get a bus from Ballyfermot though usually I cycle
    And there are thousands of people who get buses from West Dublin who get buses from West Dublin and even further afield like Kildare. Possibly tens of thousands

If a few workers from Trinity college and surrounding areas get inconvienced I say it's a fair price to pay to save time off commutes for thousands of people.

And imo and I know others will disagree, if you work and live in Dublin city centre, get a bike or scooter/motorbike or public transport.

Don't buy a car and drive into the centre of a capital city and then moan to me that traffic is annoying! :mad:
    I get a bus from Clondalkin all the time and the way I see it this will save maybe 5 minutes off the commute. Which isn't even that long in the first place...

What's the point? If you want to make bus journeys shorter you should just nuke Inchicore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I work in the city centre. Why oh why do I have a feeling of impending doom?

They said about the luas works that it wouldn't impact on trade much, same about ripping up OConnell st, same about, well, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Napoli wrote: »
    Keep it on the low but the students are plannng a coup and this fúcker will be the first on the guillotine. It's been in the planning for months now. A lot of people were pissed off with the hike in registration fees.

Students are pissed at the hike in reg fees so they're gonna lynch Heggo? It wasn't the Provost's decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

The idea is to discourage cars crossing the city through the city centre at rush hour. It will push cars onto other routes and will lead to congestion in other parts of the city. Believe it or not this is the idea. Increased congestion for cars vs a free flowing bus network is the strongest incentive to get people out of their cars and onto public transport (aside from congestion charging, which is coming to Dublin in the near future)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In fairness, to get me onto a bus, all they simply need to do is provide more buses. Feck that lark of waiting 15 minutes for a full bus to come along. Im going to park lengthways across college green in the Hummer.

That'l teach 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

Is this another gem from the Corpos Transport department?

Anyone whose working day starts at 10am and finishes again at 4pm should not be empowered to make such decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Redpunto wrote: »

It's only applies to red puntos, all other cars are grand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

For crying out loud, there are already few enough viable routes for me to get from one end of the city to another. I live in the US and finding my way about the city seems to be getting more difficult every time I go back to Dublin. I'm still recovering from the Stephen's Green switch.

(Is this permanent, or a one-day thing?)

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

antodeco wrote: »
    In fairness, to get me onto a bus, all they simply need to do is provide more buses. Feck that lark of waiting 15 minutes for a full bus to come along. Im going to park lengthways across college green in the Hummer.

That'l teach 'em
    You don't need more buses to provide more services. If the buses can make their trips quicker, then they can make more trips in the day.

Advertisement