Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldendoodle? Health issue?

Options
  • 16-07-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Recently I saw this adorable goldendoodle and people call
    this bred** designer dog**?
    And I heard they have alot of health issue and is suppose to die early???
    Can anyone give me some info. on their health and some fact about Goldendoodle? And would it be a good choice for a
    1st time dog owner?
    Is 230E a good price for one?
    Or is it too good to be true?
    I would appreciate as I might be getting one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Golden doodle... never heard of it myself.
    'Designer breeds' are referred to as this because people cross breed in order to get 'cute' dogs, thus designer as they are 'made' as such.
    I'll have a root through google see what it throws up - but offhand I'd look up both breeds for now and see what their traits/illnesses etc are.

As for a choice for a first time dog owner, have you researched the breed at all to see if it suits you and /or your home/family/situation?

some links
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldendoodle
    http://www.goldendoodles.com/home.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt pay any money for a cross breed, there are loads of them for free in the pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Miruku

andreac wrote: »
    I wouldnt pay any money for a cross breed, there are loads of them for free in the pounds.
    Is there a pound in dublin?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yep, theres a few, Ashtown pound, dogs in distress work from there rehoming dogs, theres plenty looking for homes if you are looking for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Miruku

Yep, theres a few, Ashtown pound, dogs in distress work from there rehoming dogs, theres plenty looking for homes if you are looking for one.
    do they have a website or anything?
    where are they about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ashtown is good, dogs in distress, DSPCA, there's one down towards Wicklow name escaping me at the moment.
    We even have a rehoming thread up the top of the forum

http://www.dspca.ie/
    http://www.dogsaid.ie/
    Dublin Corporation area
    Ashtown Pound
    (serving the Dublin corporation and Fingal area)
    Phone: 01 838 3236
    Address: River Road 15
    Phone: also, 01 868 3038

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown
    Phone: Call 01 497 7316. You can also get through to the dog warden
    through the main switch (01 205 4700). (located at Ranelagh Dublin
    Blue Cross/pound 8 Dartmouth Terrace, Dublin)
    Phone: 01 497 7316

Fingal County

South Co. Dublin
    Sth. Dublin Area Pound
    Blackhall Boarding Kennels,
    Summerhill Road, Blackhall, Dunboyne, Co. Meath.
    TeL: 01-8026676
    Public Opening Hours: Monday - Friday 2.00pm - 4.00pm Saturday 11.00am - 1.00pm
    By Appointment: Monday to Friday 9am - 2pm & 4pm - 5pm Saturday 9am - 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ch1984

Hey, all i know is that its a cross between retriever/labrador and a poodle, they are also meant to be good for ppl/kids with allergies so i've heard..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Does any one know of where you can get a Goldendoodle.
    My friend has all sorts of skin problems but really would love a dog, this bred has been recommended to her, but we have know idea of where to start looking.
    Only want to buy them of a proper breeder, not puppy farming,etc.

Please dont come back with other dog suggestions or ISPCA, she has already looked into this area, even took a dog and had to give it away because of a bad reaction - heartbroken of course, as she loves dogs.

Any info with regard to this breed would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Does any one know of where you can get a Goldendoodle.
    My friend has all sorts of skin problems but really would love a dog, this bred has been recommended to her, but we have know idea of where to start looking.
    Only want to buy them of a proper breeder, not puppy farming,etc.

Please dont come back with other dog suggestions or ISPCA, she has already looked into this area, even took a dog and had to give it away because of a bad reaction - heartbroken of course, as she loves dogs.

Any info with regard to this breed would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Sorry, I don't know of any breeders, but just a word of caution. Just because the dog is crossed with a poodle doesn't mean that it will be suitable for a person with allergies to dogs. There are no guarantees as to how the coat will turn out on these dogs, they could inherit the retriever fur! Would your friend not consider a poodle instead of the cross? Poodles come in different sizes, so I'm sure there would be one to suit your friend.

I would think that any of the wire haired dogs would be okay for her if she is looking into poodle crosses.

She has really looked into this - she knows the type, etc, F1b or it could be an Fb1. She trying to make sure they dont have to give another dog away

Her sons don't like poodles at all, and they really liked their other dog even though they had to give it away, so alot of consultation has gone into this.
    The other dog was a wheaten terrier ( I think thats what they are called and she had problems with that)

If any one hears of a reputable breeder, I'll pass it on. This is not a Christmas present so even if its six months or so, please let me know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

wheaten terriers are hypo-allergenic, their coat is a lot more like human hair so they are good for people with allergies, as are some poodle cross breeds.

She could try have a look at bichon frise's or Maltese which are also hypo-allergenic.

Perhaps if the contacted all the guide dog associations she may be able to get one that isnt cut out to be a guide dog? she could be waiting quite a while, but they do breed labradoodles and goldendoodles etc for those who need assistant dogs but have allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Miruku wrote: »
    do they have a website or anything?
    where are they about?

www.dogsindistress.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

Dogs Trust Rehoming Centre is open now. They are open everyday 12 - 4 except Tuesday's I believe.

http://www.dogstrust.ie/dogs-for-rehoming/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Before you proceed any further, please read the following if not already done so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoallergenic_dog_breed

I assume you are getting the goldendoodle because if carries over the hair trait from the poodle. Therefore any dog with hair as appose to fur is what you want. But as the article says, thats not the actual cause, although it is a limiter.

I have a wheaten terrier and one of my friends has dog allergies, althought around my dog he has never had a reaction.

I would recommend a wheaten, but be aware that NO dog is hypo allergenic, there are only slighty less allergenic ones.

Pic of my guy attached, they look quite similar to the goldendoodle / labrdoodle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

She has really looked into this - she knows the type, etc, F1b or it could be an Fb1. She trying to make sure they dont have to give another dog away

Her sons don't like poodles at all, and they really liked their other dog even though they had to give it away, so alot of consultation has gone into this.
    The other dog was a wheaten terrier ( I think thats what they are called and she had problems with that)

If any one hears of a reputable breeder, I'll pass it on. This is not a Christmas present so even if its six months or so, please let me know
    votejohn wrote: »
    wheaten terriers are hypo-allergenic, their coat is a lot more like human hair so they are good for people with allergies, as are some poodle cross breeds.

She could try have a look at bichon frise's or Maltese which are also hypo-allergenic.

Perhaps if the contacted all the guide dog associations she may be able to get one that isnt cut out to be a guide dog? she could be waiting quite a while, but they do breed labradoodles and goldendoodles etc for those who need assistant dogs but have allergies.
    funkyjebus wrote: »
    Before you proceed any further, please read the following if not already done so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoallergenic_dog_breed

I assume you are getting the goldendoodle because if carries over the hair trait from the poodle. Therefore any dog with hair as appose to fur is what you want. But as the article says, thats not the actual cause, although it is a limiter.

I have a wheaten terrier and one of my friends has dog allergies, althought around my dog he has never had a reaction.

I would recommend a wheaten, but be aware that NO dog is hypo allergenic, there are only slighty less allergenic ones.

Pic of my guy attached, they look quite similar to the goldendoodle / labrdoodle.

The OP has already tried the wheaten terrier, but unfortunately their friend still had a reaction.

I know that this is going to come right out of left field, but have they considered a siberian husky? Yes they are very hairy, but their fur is different to most other dog breeds, and in actual fact, people who are allergic to dog fur have been known to be fine with sibes. If they know anyone that has one, why doesn't your friend go and play with the dog for a while, and see how they get on. That would go for any of the breeds they're interested in, get in touch with the breed club for a reputable breeder, explain the situation and see if they could go and spend some time with a dog to see how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

People, people, people, Dog allergies don't come from the hair / fur. It just helps spread it. There is no such thing as a hypo allergenic dog.

Good luck with the search. Hopefully you'll find a dog for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aoifecmcc

I am looking into getting a dog myself, was thinking about a goldendoodle/labradoodle for a while, although ive now decided i will rescue a dog as i dont need one to be low shedding/hypoallergenic, but I will share with you what i found.

There is a person breeding goldendoodles in Northern Ireland, who health tests them and seems to be a responsible breeder http://northernirelandgoldendoodles.co.uk/index.html?_ret_=return
    however I know she has a long waiting list.

There is a breeder in the UK who breeds 'Australian Labradoodles' or ASD's (Australian Service Dogs). These are dogs that have been imported from australia, where they have been breeding labradoodles for a number of years, their aim is to create a new breed in its own right, with a non shedding coat. http://www.labradoodles.co.uk/

Best of luck in your search for a dog, I hope you find the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

aoifecmcc wrote: »
    There is a person breeding goldendoodles in Northern Ireland, who health tests them and seems to be a responsible breeder http://northernirelandgoldendoodles.co.uk/index.html?_ret_=return

A long waiting list is a positive rather than a negative, you should be suspicious of a breeder who regularly has puppies for sale, you should be prepared to wait for the 'right' pup not the 'right now' pup.

aoifecmcc wrote: »
    I am looking into getting a dog myself, was thinking about a goldendoodle/labradoodle for a while, although ive now decided i will rescue a dog as i dont need one to be low shedding/hypoallergenic, but I will share with you what i found.

There is a breeder in the UK who breeds 'Australian Labradoodles' or ASD's (Australian Service Dogs). These are dogs that have been imported from australia, where they have been breeding labradoodles for a number of years, their aim is to create a new breed in its own right, with a non shedding coat. http://www.labradoodles.co.uk/

Thanks very much for this info I will pass it on. Long waiting list is not a problem, the dog isn't for Christmas.

As the kids really want a dog too, she cant really be trying this type or that type, they'd be too upset. They know shes doing her best to find them one that they can all live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Bichon frise are hypoallergenic little dogs.
    There classed as hyoallergenic as they dont really shed unless brushed they were recommended,along with poodles and yorkshire terrior's, by the american kennel cub a while back as a good dog for people with allergies.

They also mightened be as big of a shock when it comes to the difference in energy levels(and destruction capabilitys) between a larger dog like a goldendoodle and a small dog like a wheaten terrior.

Your friend should spend some time with whatever breed she is thinking of buying first though there is no gaurantee that any dog is truely hypoallergenic just some provoke less reactions than others.

How long did she have her wheaten terrier before allergies were an issue?was it a very yappy dog?this can aparently prove dander and saliva dispersal...

sometimes the problem is a delayed hypersenitivity to the dander so she may find that her allergy may not be present initially but become a problem with exposure,other allergies are a problem initially but can readjust over time with constant exposure.

Her allergy may be managed in the short term with antihistamines to see would it settle with exposure has she discussed anything with her gp?

There is a possibility that no dog is going to be hyperallergenic for her allergy,particularly if she has already had issues with a low dander breed like a wheaten terrior im afraid....but the allergy may be manage able with some control measures if she really wants a dog

• Advertisement

Its an auto immune and medication mix problem that causes her reaction - she knows there may be problems, but a labradoodle or goldendoodle have been recommended to her. She also doesn't want to get a dog that she can't get someone to take if she can't keep it.

Her boys don't want a poodle or small dog, they really wanted a Golden Retriever but they can't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

thats fair enough then...i was just curious to see if he allergies had been looked into.

The link for the person breeding goldendoodles in Northern Ireland is quite frankly impressive and is the standard your friend should be looking for in her pup's breeder even if she does not choose to buy from this link in particular.
    The worming regime for the pups is the most current recommentation for pregnant bitches,so very professional, and the mother has had both a hip and eye score done with the number's included.Again a very good sign.Although there was no mention of fathers hip or eye test i suspect they would be availiable on request.

The only question i would ask is whether you can book a hypoallergenic pup specifically as there are no gaurentee's that all the pups will inherit the poodle style coat.

Aru wrote: »
    thats fair enough then...i was just curious to see if he allergies had been looked into.

The link for the person breeding goldendoodles in Northern Ireland is quite frankly impressive and is the standard your friend should be looking for in her pup's breeder even if she does not choose to buy from this link in particular.
    The worming regime for the pups is the most current recommentation for pregnant bitches,so very professional, and the mother has had both a hip and eye score done with the number's included.Again a very good sign.Although there was no mention of fathers hip or eye test i suspect they would be availiable on request.

The only question i would ask is whether you can book a hypoallergenic pup specifically as there are no gaurentee's that all the pups will inherit the poodle style coat.

Thanks for that, I'll pass on your questions, all help is greatly appreciated

Advertisement