Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Film Film

• 16-07-2009 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I've just been to my local 'unicare' and picked up this:

100A88AFB5254C8C8AA08B8E18CC8F87-800.jpg

Now the plan is to use alot of it within the coming month as I have got so much going on. Couple of questions....
    1. Where, is the best place, to get them developed near me?
    2. how much will it cost to get them proccess and/or put onto CD
    3. Am I better off buying a scanner rather than using CD
    4. If I bring them somewhere in bulk, could I get a discount?
    5. How long out of date (realistically) can I keep these for and how, i.e. Fridge?
    6. Oh, and, does anybody need any :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

:eek:

I must get some film too. My eldest camera is waiting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

1) Well, if money is your main objective, learn to do it yourself :)

Otherwise, I think Humberklog found someplace in Artane that'll do it cheap.

2) Anything from 7 to 15 quid in one of the Fuji places.

3) In the long run, buying a decent scanner will save you money and give you more control.

4) It depends. Can you haggle? :D

5) You can keep them in a fridge, but tbh, they're not the greatest or the rarest of films. They'll last for a good few years if dry and coldish. Or you could just dick around with them, through them in the oven before use, etc.

6) No thank you, I've a few hundred of my own :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Looks like a fella could have a lot o' fun with that many rolls.

Did you pay for all that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Wait, what? Do you just walk in and say 'Can I have some free film? or...?

Please hurry, I'm getting in the car right now, there's a unicare up the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I had to re-read the first post - free film? When? :pac:

• Advertisement

It's a special promotion for boardsies. Go into any Unicare pharmacy and say "I'm from the internet, can I have your film". They'll stock you up good and proper.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    It's a special promotion for boardsies. Go into any Unicare pharmacy and say "I'm from the internet, can I have your film". They'll stock you up good and proper.

:mad:

Actually, where did I get free from? Probably Humberklog. Anyway, how much the film, I need.... many lots of film.

No, it *is* free! As in, I'm not taking the complete piss!

It's the Fuji Free Film!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Call that a lot!? Pfffff:pac:. I throw that at crows before breakfast. I did in fact make a chair out of my boxes but during a very drunk party someone decided to set it on fire! I also threw a full box from my balcony just to watch it crash...it was brilliant! 2nd only to the time I threw a burning xmas tree off it. That was my daughter's idea. Such a proud moment for a father.

Ok there was an unreal deal that hit the wall not long ago (8quid for 5 rolls onto one cd). But as said; it's gone. The party's over with that deal.

However I struck a great deal with the fuji lab guy in Unicare in the Artane castle in Artane D.5. He'll pop 5 rolls onto one cd for 15 quid. His regular price is 22.50 however if you say to him that your connected with Boards.ie and want to do the deal that Neil (that's me) set up then he'll only charge 15. He will do it by post but you've gotta put cash in with a self addressed envelope.

Other places such as (the excellent) Gunn's will charge 15 per roll.

humberklog wrote: »
    Call that a lot!? Pfffff:pac:. I throw that at crows before breakfast. I did in fact make a chair out of my boxes but during a very drunk party someone decided to set it on fire! I also threw a full box from my balcony just to watch it crash...it was brilliant! 2nd only to the time I threw a burning xmas tree off it. That was my daughter's idea. Such a proud moment for a father.

That tent you'll see under your balcony will be mine, by the way.

Some advance notice on the xmas trees would be appreciated. What exposure do you recommend for those?

I'm calling into my local unicare tomorrow to enquire about film.

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    What exposure do you recommend for those?

Eh...I don't really know, I kinda just go with the flow. I've never owned a light meter...I use the squintometre method. I wouldn't be technically knowledgable. Just put it in and shoot away. It's all ISO200 but you can push it around. I like a 160 setting on my Olympus Trip but that only because it's a little bit broken, I just stuff it into the Brownie as that doesn't give you any choice and I'm not on talking terms with the Minolta. That just does its own thing without talking to me. Me and the Minolta are having communication issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

:eek: so much film!!

Don't think there's a Unicare pharmacy in Galway, disaster. Would've loved to have gotten some for my Canon SLR (I've yet to try it out now I know vaugely how it works, twas a bargan at 5 euro in a charity shop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jao

The fuji Place in Edenderry will stick 3 rolls of film onto CD with no prints for 3 Yoyos.

Cant really beat that. And im sure if you asked they'd put a load of them onto a dvd for Buttons.

Went to Nutgrove today to get the motor tax renewed. Stopped in to the Unicare there and picked up these.

7AB680B3E1E64831B6B14B344385C47D-800.jpg

312A02D1441A4689A5BDDDB16431EC76-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

jao wrote: »
    The fuji Place in Edenderry will stick 3 rolls of film onto CD with no prints for 3 Yoyos.

Cant really beat that. And im sure if you asked they'd put a load of them onto a dvd for Buttons.

What??? I went in there today and the wanted 14 euro to devolp a 35mm film and put it to a CD. Rip off says I

the fuji shop on the roundabout?

I went in, 3 rolls, onto a CD and a microfibre cloth(2.95) and i gave yer man 6 yoyos.

the fuji shop on the roundabout?

I went in, 3 rolls, onto a CD and a microfibre cloth(2.95) and i gave yer man 6 yoyos.

Yes the one beside kinsellas medical hall.

I was quoted today 9.99 for dev and another 3.99 for scanning to the CD for one 36exp roll.

I went in ther today and the was a middle age woman there, she knew sweet f*** all about photography. Asked whether they were scanned as TIFFs or JPGs and she said the 'standard one' :confused:

There is a younger man in there that seems to know his stuff and and was not so bad when i got some prints done but he wasnt there today......

What stock of film do they have there? Fuji Superia i presume....

EDIT:

Clane photo center will dev 35mm and add to a cd for a fiver, plus a free roll of film

I never checked actually, Im still working on my unicare film.

The young guy is sound actually.

I order prints on the Fuji website, and send him and email, he has them ready to collect on my way home from work.

I just live down the road from the shop, but i dont pass by until nearly 6 everyday, so its the handiest for me.

I never checked actually, Im still working on my unicare film.

The young guy is sound actually.

I order prints on the Fuji website, and send him and email, he has them ready to collect on my way home from work.

I just live down the road from the shop, but i dont pass by until nearly 6 everyday, so its the handiest for me.

They really do seem to be the dearest in the county for deveolpment, dolans in tullamore is only 6.95 for dev and cd and clane will do it for a fiver.

Anyway i might ring (hopefully that younger bloke will be there) them tomorow and see if i can if i can get a deal sorted for slightly cheaper then the current rate as i could be shooting a roll of film a week as its my landscape camera and there local to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

• Advertisement

Ok a little good news here.

I managed to barter the fuji shop in edenderry down to 20 euro for five rolls and all to cd. Now i know its not as good as the deal in the unicare place in artane but a good improvement over the 14 euro per roll to cd :)

I will go in there on monday and sort of finialise the deal so hopefully after that it will be open to boardsies in the edenderry area which i know of two others.

I mentioned that i had a big box of film and would be in there regularly so i think that sealed the deal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

landyman wrote: »
    They really do seem to be the dearest in the county for deveolpment, dolans in tullamore is only 6.95 for dev and cd and clane will do it for a fiver.

Anyway i might ring (hopefully that younger bloke will be there) them tomorow and see if i can if i can get a deal sorted for slightly cheaper then the current rate as i could be shooting a roll of film a week as its my landscape camera and there local to me :)

I think she gave you the development and printed price.

Just out of interest, im gonna bring in 5 rolls during the week.
    Ill see what he charges me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Anyone know of a cheap place for 120 film dev and a cd? Have 5 rolls at the moment I wouldnt mind posting off.

I went in to the pharmacy and they only gave me ten rolls :(

I'm going to use them on the brownie, I've loaded the film and whatnot, but how do I know how many turns rolls it on to the next one?

All so confusing.

I'm going to use them on the brownie, I've loaded the film and whatnot, but how do I know how many turns rolls it on to the next one?

All so confusing.

I got plenty of roll is you want 20 or so free rolls let me know.

All so confusing.

It's probably worth offering one roll up as one to practice loading and unloading. You can wind the roll back up each time until you're happy with your method. Remember that if you put the roll in under dark room conditions then you'll get up to 3 more exposures.
    If you load on the tester you should just mark the film at the top of what will be exposed and then count the revolutions.
    On my Brownie I give it 2.5 full turn for each exposure and then I turn the wheel one quater turn to space out the exposure. Mine will be a bit different to yours as it is 116mm and yours is probably 120mm.
    I practiced with one roll. Loading, counting revolutions and unloading. Practice loading and unloading until you can do it with your eyes closed. Then you should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

are these actually free ?

When you get it developed humberklog do they scan it as the wider images like you have post?

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote: »
    When you get it developed humberklog do they scan it as the wider images like you have post?

No, it's a bit of an expensive 'mare without a scanner. I don't have one. Anywhere will develop them, no problem there. The big problem is having them put onto cd. As the exposure is HUGE (about 4.5 times the length of standard 35mm) it won't come through the standard fuji lab. They're automatic machines and will either not read the negs or chop up the exposure into managable parts.
    What I've had to do is drop them into fiona in Gunn's. They're about the only shop that will take the time to do them but even then it's not perfect as she has to do each exposure in 3 sections. 2 sections will go tegether but we've worked out that the best way is to do one end (this is all done in eh...75mm sections), this will take in about 3quaters of neg, then scan the oppisite end (again giving you about 3 quarters of the neg. So with these twoparts you can stitch them together but it's better to also takes a third scan that is taken centrally as it's better for masking stitching.
    Gunn's will charge 15 per roll. It is a lot but it's cheap in reality as it is a good hours job for her.

Scanner's the way forward though. If you get one can I be your best friend? The Epsom 4490 has been recommended, costs about 250 in Peat's.

I've had a decent scanner on my list for a while. Something like the Nikon coolscan V like Daire uses sounds reasonable. But I also have medium format in mind for the future so I'd want to be able to scan that too. I have a canon coolscan 4400F but I've never been happy with the job that's done of scanning stuff. I'm not sure if it could even scan a number of frames as a single, wider frame. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

FX Meister wrote: »
    I have a canon coolscan 4400F but I've never been happy with the job that's done of scanning stuff. I'm not sure if it could even scan a number of frames as a single, wider frame. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

By the sounds of it, you're using the stand-alone software that came with it - Google "Canoscan 4400FF TWAIN", install, and you can import via Photoshop, meaning you can select the dimensions of the scanned document :)

is there a Unicare in the blanchardstown shopping center? I want free film! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I believe so. Also on main street, blanch. Don't know if they're doing the free film but worth a try.

Theres 3 in the village, thats where I got some of mine.... loads left!!

http://www.unicarepharmacy.ie/Browse_By_Map__Leinster/Default.144.html

• Advertisement

thnaks AR and tallon. ill go in there tomorow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

humberklog wrote: »
    Scanner's the way forward though. If you get one can I be your best friend? The Epsom 4490 has been recommended, costs about 250 in Peat's.

I (Peats) can get you that for about €209 if that's any better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

so do i just go in and ask for free film?

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    so do i just go in and ask for free film?

No its not that simple, you will have to go through an interview proccess, bring along some of your recent photos and they will judge you on them

i have never done this before so i have no idea what i am ment to do to get this film. there is a unicare very close to me. if it is just as easy as going in and asking for film i will do i now.

so again, what do i do?

• Advertisement

i have never done this before so i have no idea what i am ment to do to get this film.

Its ok, i'll talk you through your first time.
    Walk in and say, "I was told you are giving out free film, any chance I can have some please?"

To which they will reply, " Yeah sure, here you go" *smile*

That simple ;)

Tallon wrote: »
    Its ok, i'll talk you through your first time.
    Walk in and say, "I was told you are giving out free film, any chance I can have some please?"

To which they will reply, " Yeah sure, here you go" *smile*

That simple ;)

thank you, i will be back in about half an hour hopefully with a bit of film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Does that include processing, or is it extra to a processing charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just got some from the Unicare at Tesco in Lucan. They have 3 boxes left.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Just got some from the Unicare at Tesco in Lucan. They have 3 boxes left.

They have more than that at superquinn around the corner :)

success! dont bother going to the unicare in drumcondra, they are empty now.

Nice castle! :D

Nice castle! :D

thanks, i kinda got carried away with it but it looks good on my desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I'm struggling to get more than two ROLLS from a store

Tactical wrote: »

I'm struggling to get more than two ROLLS from a store

The because The Peoples Republic is still in rationing mode since the emergency.

Tell'm to cop on, sure you'll be back to give them the business. Their money's in developing film not selling. Daft meely mouthed backwardness. Throw a few shapes into the local Irish Permanent while you're at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement